Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AFSCME union drops support for The UNCF

AFSCME which is the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees. Has stopped all finiacial and other support for UNCF (Uniter Negro College Fund). This is a pretty big union with very deep pockets, the UNCF is a cause worth donating to, way back in my younger years I belonged to the UAW. One of the charities they donated to at that time was UNCF.

Simply because the Koch brothers made a 25 million dollar donation to the UNCF, you would think that the union would be glad that a cause they support was receiving such a large infusion of cash. I suppose it is up to the union where they place their charitable contributions, but this just seems kind of petty.

United Negro College Fund accepts $25 million from Kochs, tells Big Labor to get over it | Mobile Washington Examiner
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Default Re: AFSCME union drops support for The UNCF

"How dare you support the same thing I support!"

:rolleyes:

I agree with the UNCF's statement, "Get over it."

ROM
    Viper

Wait the union stopped donating because Koch donated? If that is true, I think it speaks volumes for how much the union actually believed in the cause of the charity...
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

There is no free lunch, there are always strings attached.
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 

The article said that there was a donation and then the president of the funds spoke at a Koch brothers' event. If Donald Sterling donated money to the NAACP then asked the president to speak at one of his functions, I can understand why some donors might be apprehensive. Considering the Koch Brothers fund the party that insists on resurrecting Jim Crow-esque and Poll Tax type laws, I can see why they would have issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Considering the Koch Brothers fund the party that insists on resurrecting Jim Crow-esque and Poll Tax type laws, I can see why they would have issue with it.
    If that's how you view things, that's you're opinion. But aren't the pro-union groups always saying that unions aren't political advocates? So this shouldn't even be an issue. Even with their opposing views, they shouldn't make a charity suffer because they don't agree with another donor. That's just silly and looks bad on the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    If that's how you view things, that's you're opinion. But aren't the pro-union groups always saying that unions aren't political advocates? So this shouldn't even be an issue. Even with their opposing views, they shouldn't make a charity suffer because they don't agree with another donor. That's just silly and looks bad on the union.
    What pro-union groups say that unions aren't political advocates? Voting against anti-union politicians, politicians that favor large business over middle class fighting unions, who would even begin to insist that unions aren't individual people unionizing to have a louder voice in their society be it the political arena or any other arena?

And I'm sorry but if I donate to a cause and the leader of that cause speaks on behalf of another cause that I do not believe in, why shouldn't I refrain from donating to that cause? When Susan G Komen was going to stop their funding of Planned Parenthood because their leader insisted that Planned Parenthood was a one-stop-abortion shop, I stopped buying any products with the pink ribbon (not because I believe that we need to give out abortions like M&Ms, but because I don't believe that the Susan G Komen representative should've introduced religion and right wing agenda into the charity). If the union has prominent leaders that belong to the local Klan, should the UNCF accept their donation? I mean it would make them look bad if they didn't, based on your logic,correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    What pro-union groups say that unions aren't political advocates?
    Pretty much any time there's a debate on unions and political involvement bias, there's always someone rushing to make the point that the union organization isn't political, that it's just the members independently helping whatever political agenda (pretty much always on the left). Or that the money donated is not from the general union dues. They do everything they can to spin it that the union as an organization is completely neutral politically.

And I'm sorry but if I donate to a cause and the leader of that cause speaks on behalf of another cause that I do not believe in, why shouldn't I refrain from donating to that cause? When Susan G Komen was going to stop their funding of Planned Parenthood because their leader insisted that Planned Parenthood was a one-stop-abortion shop, I stopped buying any products with the pink ribbon (not because I believe that we need to give out abortions like M&Ms, but because I don't believe that the Susan G Komen representative should've introduced religion and right wing agenda into the charity). If the union has prominent leaders that belong to the local Klan, should the UNCF accept their donation? I mean it would make them look bad if they didn't, based on your logic,correct?
    Do you know what Michael Lomax said at that summit after getting the donation? I don't, and I tried to look it up but every result kept linking to stories like in the OP. I couldn't find anything about the summit speech itself. If you have more info, I'm willing to read it.

So keep that in mind when I say it depends on what was said. If someone just made a massive donation to your charity (reportedly the 5th largest single donation), don't you think it would be prudent as the charity leader to go give a speech expressing your thanks, giving them more info about your organization, and letting them know more about how their money will be put to good use? That is not showing support for what the Koch brothers believe in, and not the same as what the SGK representative did. What do you think the UNCF should have done, not say a word or return the money?

Now if Dr. Lomax's speech was promoting the Koch beliefs, then you may have an argument. Since I/we don't know that, I'm going to go with the belief that the UNCF speech was kept politically neutral and was about their charity work. Also note the Koch donation was made because they believed in the UNCF, not the other way around, and have been keeping up with a donation program that was started by one of the companies they bought out.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ion-koch-gift/

Koch Industries has a history of supporting UNCF dating to 2005, when it acquired the company Georgia-Pacific. Georgia-Pacific supported UNCF going back four decades. Since 1995, Georgia-Pacific and Koch have donated more than $1.5 million to UNCF, according to Koch.

Curley Dossman, president of the Georgia-Pacific Foundation, said it’s because of that long-standing relationship that UNCF approached Koch about the new gift.
    So is this ruffling of feathers due to the fact money was donated, or because the UNCF presumably gave them an elaborate "Thank you?"