Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 27 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Can We Stop Things Like This?

As the facts have come to light over social media in the last couple days, what can we as Americans agree to do so that events such as the case of Michael Brown don't happen again?

(P.S. To Mods and everyone else, I hope for a friendly discussion, and not race baiting.)

Dear police: you can't shoot and kill our children without the whole world watching | The Verge
    DLGames likes this.

Default Re: How Can We Stop Things Like This?

Surely with the tech we have today every officer can be outfitted with a body worn miniature camera to record every interaction with the public. However, we still don't know exactly what happened.
    aximtreo likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Surely with the tech we have today every officer can be outfitted with a body worn miniature camera to record every interaction with the public. However, we still don't know exactly what happened.
    I think that is an excellent idea. Miniature cameras like they do those cop car dash cams that are always on will be helpful in any cases that may have a dispute on the occurrence of events that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I think that is an excellent idea. Miniature cameras like they do those cop car dash cams that are always on will be helpful in any cases that may have a dispute on the occurrence of events that happened.
    They didn't have dash cams in these local PD's squad cars, my guess is budget issues. At the very least some sort of audio recording device. Issue here is the reports state one of the two guys assaulted the cop when he was getting out of his cruiser and tried to get his gun. Dashboard cams usually face forward and wouldn't have caught that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They didn't have dash cams in these local PD's squad cars, my guess is budget issues. At the very least some sort of audio recording device. Issue here is the reports state one of the two guys assaulted the cop when he was getting out of his cruiser and tried to get his gun. Dashboard cams usually face forward and wouldn't have caught that.
    Of course they wouldn't, though dashboard cams in the past have helped in proving cops being outwardly abusing their power against people during traffic stops.

I was saying that miniature cameras on the cops can be always on, or to cut corners they can instead have audio recording devices in then at all times.

Of course they wouldn't, though dashboard cams in the past have helped in proving cops being outwardly abusing their power against people during traffic stops.

I was saying that miniature cameras on the cops can be always on, or to cut corners they can instead have audio recording devices in then at all times.
    As long as a Judge or a panel of internal affairs officers are the ones making the determination about abuse, I'd be all for it.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 likes this.

I actually remember when "To protect and server" actually meant something. Now they'll let anyone become an officer. Granted, the low wages they pay, they're going to get what they pay for. I live in Dallas county and we have quite a range. Within the Dallas city limits, you can find some officers that behave like thugs. You go over to Arlington (20-30 miles away) where the officers are paid a little more, and are required to have a 4 year degree, and they act completely different. Of course when you don't fund the police force correctly, you're going to get low hanging fruit.
    A895 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I wanted to become a cop at one time, if my life plan does not pan out, I still plan to do so, but if I do become one I hope to not perpetuate all that cops have basically shown in the past decade or so. I am too much a kind person to brutally shoot someone 3 times no matter the situation. I will swing at someone but pull out a gun and shoot them? That is taking it too far.

Something does need to be done. People are losing faith in police and nothing good can come from that.

The Staten Island cigarette selling incident was especially troublesome to me considering how many cops stood around watching and did nothing. Even the paramedics seemed to do nothing.

I really feel this is part of a larger issue where people no longer want or care to do their jobs properly. Everything from tech support to police to medical has been infected with this lazy incompetence thing. It's in every company. And it will truly sink us.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    msndrstood likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Something does need to be done. People are losing faith in police and nothing good can come from that.

The Staten Island cigarette selling incident was especially troublesome to me considering how many cops stood around watching and did nothing. Even the paramedics seemed to do nothing.

I really feel this is part of a larger issue where people no longer want or care to do their jobs properly. Everything from tech support to police to medical has been infected with this lazy incompetence thing. It's in every company. And it will truly sink us.

It all goes back to people in the Unite States no longer feel united. The last time people really came together was fro civil rights, before that, WW2. Now that the population has gotten so larger, we as people have become disjointed. We ridicule our own leaders publicly all the time, we have still have some racial divide, our own police forces are have been having stories of them abusing their power, entire cities such as Detroit fall victim to corruption, crime, and economic downturn.

What can we do bring our own country back together, so that we can become focused and truly make our nation great?
    Thanked by:

It all goes back to people in the Unite States no longer feel united. The last time people really came together was fro civil rights, before that, WW2. Now that the population has gotten so larger, we as people have become disjointed. We ridicule our own leaders publicly all the time, we have still have some racial divide, our own police forces are have been having stories of them abusing their power, entire cities such as Detroit fall victim to corruption, crime, and economic downturn.

What can we do bring our own country back together, so that we can become focused and truly make our nation great?
    See I think the issue is a lack of respect for anyone. Regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, ect. We've gone from a society where kids grew up watching things like Leave it to Beaver and Dragnet, to shows like "Teen Mom". Not sure you want to glorify someones stupid decision, but if there's money to be made who gives a rip on how it affects our society. Getting your "swag", "yolo", "B's and hoes", getting mine, ect. I'm sure sociologists are having a field day but it's not really helping us.

Flash mobs and "Knockout games", that's the kind of crap we face today.
    GadgetGator likes this.

See I think the issue is a lack of respect for anyone. Regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, ect. We've gone from a society where kids grew up watching things like Leave it to Beaver and Dragnet, to shows like "Teen Mom". Not sure you want to glorify someones stupid decision, but if there's money to be made who gives a rip on how it affects our society. Getting your "swag", "yolo", "B's and hoes", getting mine, ect. I'm sure sociologists are having a field day but it's not really helping us.

Flash mobs and "Knockout games", that's the kind of crap we face today.
    Exactly. Here's the problem with the United States and humans in general....no one ever looks at the bigger picture. Each individual company offshores their workforce with no thought or regard to what is happening collectively when other companies do the same. The same thing can be said about TV or movies that have an effect on society. Everyone only looks at their individual piece but gives no thought to what that is doing to us collectively as a whole.

Meanwhile we continue to go down the rabbit hole and society continues to degrade. Standards continue to suffer and the bar keeps getting lowered. People don't take pride in their work anymore. Understandable from a society with a mindset that treats everything as temporary and expendable.

We need to change that somehow, though short of better education, better parenting and employers that see their workforce as more than numbers on a balance sheet, I don't know how.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    SteveISU likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I blame the entertainment industry as a whole.

Is it Ferguson? or is it Tiananmen Square? Is there a difference?

Sadly, there is nothing that can be done. As long as humans continue to dissect themselves over petty, insignificant differences this problem will continue to exist. As SteveISU pointed out, it is lack of respect. When there is no respect for human life, tragedy is the inevitable outcome.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Things aren't getting better, National Guard sent to Ferguson, fiercest clash yet, two people shot:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/mis...epage-t&page=0

Posted via the Android Central App

Part of it I feel is the militarization of our police force and using it way to often. The police are not a military and yet they are being armed with assault rifles, full body armor and well military grad everything along with training the same way. Yes that stuff some times needed but cities feel well they paid for it so they must use them. Reality is it is very rare and should be very selectively used.

Hell I could go with the de arming the cops. A lot of cops can go their entire career with out pulling their guns.

Another item making things fall apart is well our media. They love to show the bad apples that give the rest a bad name. Not the majority that do a great job. This cause a general lost of respect of the police and as such the police are pick on more and they get worse.

I feel like it should be fix multiple ways at the same time. The police need to clean up the bad apples, the media needs to get involved and really start showing the good ones and any of those cases that have only short clips of what looks bad. Go look at the build up to it and see was it really out of line or not.
    Hell show the good stuff they do. Examples of that is I was helping a friend push a car of his that broke down just back into a parking lot we were already put of the road and needed to go up Hill in the lot. Cop pulls in ask what is going on and then he joins in helping us push just making the job easier. On a bike ride a friend got a flat on the road cop pulls up and turns on his lights to give us protection while we changed the flat. Little things like that go a long way and they do need to be recognized for it. Yes it is there job but the public also has forgotten that police do a lot more than enforce the law.

I can think of cases from my point of view where great driver not so much. Like the driver that was way to close to riders on a ride a cop chased them down gave them a ticket. I heard the driver yelling at the cop. He took it just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    Part of it I feel is the militarization of our police force and using it way to often. The police are not a military and yet they are being armed with assault rifles, full body armor and well military grad everything along with training the same way. Yes that stuff some times needed but cities feel well they paid for it so they must use them. Reality is it is very rare and should be very selectively used.

Hell I could go with the de arming the cops. A lot of cops can go their entire career with out pulling their guns.

Another item making things fall apart is well our media. They love to show the bad apples that give the rest a bad name. Not the majority that do a great job. This cause a general lost of respect of the police and as such the police are pick on more and they get worse.

I feel like it should be fix multiple ways at the same time. The police need to clean up the bad apples, the media needs to get involved and really start showing the good ones and any of those cases that have only short clips of what looks bad. Go look at the build up to it and see was it really out of line or not.
    Hell show the good stuff they do. Examples of that is I was helping a friend push a car of his that broke down just back into a parking lot we were already put of the road and needed to go up Hill in the lot. Cop pulls in ask what is going on and then he joins in helping us push just making the job easier. On a bike ride a friend got a flat on the road cop pulls up and turns on his lights to give us protection while we changed the flat. Little things like that go a long way and they do need to be recognized for it. Yes it is there job but the public also has forgotten that police do a lot more than enforce the law.

I can think of cases from my point of view where great driver not so much. Like the driver that was way to close to riders on a ride a cop chased them down gave them a ticket. I heard the driver yelling at the cop. He took it just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    They definitely need to dearm the police because it is ridiculous, and the media is awful in this whole situation. I don't hate all cops, but as a black man I am naturally wary of them, and in the case Michael Brown the media tried to vilify him so much when he was shot down unarmed anything that happened before that had nothing to do with that current situation. I not only thing it is wrong for all that to come out because it is irrelevant but because it disrespects the family and the deceased.

Mass Media has no class anymore. And do ever notice anytime something happened like this, they show the most thugged out pictures of the black victim to vilify them but when it is white person they try to say "he was depressed and lonely and sick, he had a bad childhood" when it is black they show them throwing gang signs and everything else. This is why I don't watch TV news anymore it is all a sham.

Brad Steele likes this.

If the separate autopsy done by the family's doctors and the federal autopsy confirms it, then the simplest solution for now would be to arrest the officer that killed Michael Brown.

What I saw, the family's own medical examiner's autopsy showed that Michael Brown had 2 shots that appeared to be from above. The fact that he was 6'4" tall, and one of the bullets exited his eye, that makes one think that the death was carried out execution style and contradicts the police report that Michael Brown was bull rushing the officer when he fired the shots.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 and Brad Steele like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    If the separate autopsy done by the family's doctors and the federal autopsy confirms it, then the simplest solution for now would be to arrest the officer that killed Michael Brown.

What I saw, the family's own medical examiner's autopsy showed that Michael Brown had 2 shots that appeared to be from above. The fact that he was 6'4" tall, and one of the bullets exited his eye, that makes one think that the death was carried out execution style and contradicts the police report that Michael Brown was bull rushing the officer when he fired the shots.

Or that he had his head down which is common if you bull rush someone. There are too little facts here to determine anything. The police want to do a thorough investigation which is being deemed as a cover up because they aren't rushing to state anything as fact. The other side wants to hang the cop NOW. We don't know what happened yet, but there is a dead man and a police officer who's career is on the line, it shouldn't be rushed. Just simply looking at the fact that there were 6 hits, most in the right arm might very well indicate the officer didn't shoot to kill until it was necessary. It also might corroborate that the guy went for the officers gun if he was right handed, hence all the shots to the right arm. In a case like this it's hard because the vast majority of the "eye witnesses" already have a disdain for all cops.

I heard Don Lemon on CNN say this morning that three witnesses have came forward and have given a statement to authorities that matches what the police officer stated. I read an article yesterday that said the officer was treated for a fractured jaw and a concussion.

The whole situation is a mess. I think dropping the curfew was a bad idea.

Or that he had his head down which is common if you bull rush someone. There are too little facts here to determine anything. The police want to do a thorough investigation which is being deemed as a cover up because they aren't rushing to state anything as fact. The other side wants to hang the cop NOW. We don't know what happened yet, but there is a dead man and a police officer who's career is on the line, it shouldn't be rushed. Just simply looking at the fact that there were 6 hits, most in the right arm might very well indicate the officer didn't shoot to kill until it was necessary. It also might corroborate that the guy went for the officers gun if he was right handed, hence all the shots to the right arm. In a case like this it's hard because the vast majority of the "eye witnesses" already have a disdain for all cops.
    We generally detain people when they've killed someone, whether it an act of self-defense or an accident. Yet, this officer is being quite shielded.

Another point, where are all the Bundy supporters? Where is the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, Fox news, and other anti-government types that were ok with backing Bundy's criminal act? Why aren't they all up in arms about a government entity killing a citizen? What is different between Bundy's criminal act and Brown's criminal act? Oh right.....
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 and Brad Steele like this.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I heard Don Lemon on CNN say this morning that three witnesses have came forward and have given a statement to authorities that matches what the police officer stated. I read an article yesterday that said the officer was treated for a fractured jaw and a concussion.

The whole situation is a mess. I think dropping the curfew was a bad idea.
    I'm not sure I agreed with the curfew in the first place. Granted, those that were looting, destroying, and creating mayhem needed to be apprehended.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/19/us/fer...html?hpt=hp_t1 I like how shifty eyed his friend gets near the end of the video....."he was....<<look away>> the model of <<look away>> morality...."

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    We generally detain people when they've killed someone, whether it an act of self-defense or an accident. Yet, this officer is being quite shielded.

Another point, where are all the Bundy supporters? Where is the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, Fox news, and other anti-government types that were ok with backing Bundy's criminal act? Why aren't they all up in arms about a government entity killing a citizen? What is different between Bundy's criminal act and Brown's criminal act? Oh right.....
    1. He's being shielded due to death threats.
    2. You generally don't put cops behind bars or detain them for use of force until his actions are deemed criminal. They get pulled off the street and receive counseling after they've taken a life. It's not like they scooped up the body and he carried on in his patrol car. He went back to the station and was questioned by his superiors. He was required to write a report documenting his account of the incident.

As far as the Bundy point, two different issues. No one is going to condemn a cop who kills someone to protect himself (if the facts determine it's justified). I think everyone condemns the people acting like animals and the rioting.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

1. He's being shielded due to death threats.
    2. You generally don't put cops behind bars or detain them for use of force until his actions are deemed criminal. They get pulled off the street and receive counseling after they've taken a life. It's not like they scooped up the body and he carried on in his patrol car. He went back to the station and was questioned by his superiors. He was required to write a report documenting his account of the incident.

As far as the Bundy point, two different issues. No one is going to condemn a cop who kills someone to protect himself (if the facts determine it's justified). I think everyone condemns the people acting like animals and the rioting.
    I condemn the entire situation, do the cops there not have tazers or pepper spray? The first thing they were taught was to go skeet shooting on unarmed civilians? Unlikely story.

I never understand how the help these things happen, everyone says "not enough facts yet, oh the person who was shot was a criminal, blah ,blah", the facts are never clear with these types of cases for some reason. Why in the hell it takes a week to determine whether someone shot a kid in self defense or cold blood, is beyond me.

There are witnesses, there are live tweets by witnesses, yet we still come to conclusion somehow the victim was the cause.

This is why minorities don't trust the system now, things don't get done, yet expect us to twiddle our thumbs and hope for the best. Justice is a joke. I don't agree with the looting in Ferguson but all the protesting is completely justified.

GadgetGator likes this.
Page 1 of 27 1234 ... LastLast