Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I give up....

    9-year-old accidentally kills range instructor with Uzi - CNN.com

    Bad enough you've got a frigging 9 year old shooting a UZI, even on single shot, but gee, lets have her fire it in full auto now!
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 
    GadgetGator likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I give up....

    I think that there's something very wrong when a kid gets lessons with a UZI as a holidays treat.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    9-year-old accidentally kills range instructor with Uzi - CNN.com

    Bad enough you've got a frigging 9 year old shooting a UZI, even on single shot, but gee, lets have her fire it in full auto now!
    The same article mentions how an 8-year-old boy accidentally shot himself to death in Massachusetts while attempting to fire an Uzi.

    Excerpt: "In the Massachusetts incident, former Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury was found not guilty in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter in the 2008 death of 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj, who was firing the micro Uzi when he accidentally shot himself in the head at a gun show Fleury helped organize. The boy died instantly."
  4. #4  

    Default Re: I give up....

    I don't want to live in this country anymore. I'm moving to Canada for free healthcare and bacon and maple syrup.
    Thanked by 2:
    palandri, D_March and Smply_Rcklss like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    Bad enough you've got a frigging 9 year old shooting a UZI, even on single shot, but gee, lets have her fire it in full auto now!
    The article says that the instructor was standing in the wrong position, which put him in the line of fire. The gun experts that CNN contacted also said that children should learn to use single-shot firearms first, not submachine guns.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: I give up....

    I find it hard to empathize with these types of incidents. Kind of like the incidents you hear about some bonehead that was killed when their exotic-illegal animal decides to attack them. Here's my question; are the parents going to be tried for manslaughter? I mean they're responsible for the 9 year old, they thought it was a good idea to let the 9 year old shoot an UZI. My guess is no, they're not going to be charged, but guess what, they SHOULD be charged, just like you'd charge the owner of a pit bull if that dog got out and killed someone. I'm willing to bet the family won't get charged, mostly because of our gun-nut culture.
    A895 and D_March like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    The article says that the instructor was standing in the wrong position, which put him in the line of fire. The gun experts that CNN contacted also said that children should learn to use single-shot firearms first, not submachine guns.
    His complacency is what I have a problem with more than the fact that the girl was allowed to shoot the gun.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I give up....

    The shooting range folks are idiots to hand a novice a full auto sub machine gun. The parents won't be liable any more than if that kid was put on a dirt bike with zero instruction on throttle control and ran over a track attendant. If the kid shot herself, the parents may have a case against the range.
    Thanked by:
    Scott7217 likes this.
  9. #9  
    JunioR_III's Avatar
    Junior Member

    Posts
    0 Posts

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I find it hard to empathize with these types of incidents. Kind of like the incidents you hear about some bonehead that was killed when their exotic-illegal animal decides to attack them. Here's my question; are the parents going to be tried for manslaughter? I mean they're responsible for the 9 year old, they thought it was a good idea to let the 9 year old shoot an UZI. My guess is no, they're not going to be charged, but guess what, they SHOULD be charged, just like you'd charge the owner of a pit bull if that dog got out and killed someone. I'm willing to bet the family won't get charged, mostly because of our gun-nut culture.
    They really shouldn't be charged truthfully the instructor obviously didn't know safe practices. Giving a 9 year old an Uzi is beyond dangerous. As a gun instructor even if the parents wanted her to shoot the Uzi he should have refused and gave her a .22 at least.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Kinda dangerous to put a fully automatic in the hands of an inexperienced shooter regardless of the age. The instructor should have known that

    Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Scott7217 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I find it hard to empathize with these types of incidents. Kind of like the incidents you hear about some bonehead that was killed when their exotic-illegal animal decides to attack them. Here's my question; are the parents going to be tried for manslaughter? I mean they're responsible for the 9 year old, they thought it was a good idea to let the 9 year old shoot an UZI. My guess is no, they're not going to be charged, but guess what, they SHOULD be charged, just like you'd charge the owner of a pit bull if that dog got out and killed someone. I'm willing to bet the family won't get charged, mostly because of our gun-nut culture.
    Honestly, while I think the parents were stupid in letting this happen the range should be under serious investigation in regards to who they let teach.

    This could have very easily been avoided if the instructor wasn't such a moron.

    The child is already going to be traumatized I'm just not sure if putting a ton of scrutiny on her parents at the moment will be good for her mental health.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I find it hard to empathize with these types of incidents. Kind of like the incidents you hear about some bonehead that was killed when their exotic-illegal animal decides to attack them. Here's my question; are the parents going to be tried for manslaughter? I mean they're responsible for the 9 year old, they thought it was a good idea to let the 9 year old shoot an UZI. My guess is no, they're not going to be charged, but guess what, they SHOULD be charged, just like you'd charge the owner of a pit bull if that dog got out and killed someone. I'm willing to bet the family won't get charged, mostly because of our gun-nut culture.
    I understand what you are saying but don't like pit bulls being once again singled out as reference for what should be generic dog attacks. Most pit bulls are sweet loving dogs. And any breed can have it's bad apples. Just like humans.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    sure why not likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I understand what you are saying but don't like pit bulls being once again singled out as reference for what should be generic dog attacks. Most pit bulls are sweet loving dogs. And any breed can have it's bad apples. Just like humans.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Trust me, I contemplated that as I was typing, but figured the example would be better if I used a breed that tends to make the news more than the other breeds. I tend to agree though, while the breed can be a little more aggressive, ultimately it's how the owner treats the dog.


    I will post up a disclaimer regarding my initial thought, the parents should have some amount of liability for having her at the gun range, but it should be weighed against who's idea it was in the first place to have her shoot an UZI. I still can't understand why anyone would think it would have any benefit. "Well, sometimes you find a stray UZI on the street, so you're going to have to learn how to use one eventually, better you learn here than at some all girl sleep over".....When bravado overwhelms logic, this is what happens. The question is, what responsible party's logic was overwhelmed, and what would be the proper disciplinary action for this lapse of judgement?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Trust me, I contemplated that as I was typing, but figured the example would be better if I used a breed that tends to make the news more than the other breeds. I tend to agree though, while the breed can be a little more aggressive, ultimately it's how the owner treats the dog.


    I will post up a disclaimer regarding my initial thought, the parents should have some amount of liability for having her at the gun range, but it should be weighed against who's idea it was in the first place to have her shoot an UZI. I still can't understand why anyone would think it would have any benefit. "Well, sometimes you find a stray UZI on the street, so you're going to have to learn how to use one eventually, better you learn here than at some all girl sleep over".....When bravado overwhelms logic, this is what happens. The question is, what responsible party's logic was overwhelmed, and what would be the proper disciplinary action for this lapse of judgement?
    I don't think the parents have liability because I think it's canceled out by the instructor willingly teaching her.

    As for pit bulls, they might be sensationalized in the news, but that doesn't mean that notion should be reinforced. Every pit bull I have ever seen, including mine, is aggressive in one thing only: Kisses! That's not to say that there isn't a mean pit bull out there somewhere, but the same could be said of German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chihuahuas, or that mean (to others) Cocker I had. So I think stereotyping an entire breed is as wrong as stereotyping all gays, all women, all blacks, all whites, etc. in humans.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    Scott7217 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: I give up....

    I'd like to know more about the family. Are they one on those Prepper Families (there's Prepper families on TV now) that think unmarked black helicopters are going to be circling their house and picking them up for FEMA labor camp for the New World Order?
    A895 likes this.
  16. #16  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,118 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: I give up....

    Definitely a tragedy. Bad judgement and mistakes were made.

    Guns are dangerous things that should be respected and handled with responsibility. Unfortunately, it appears that did not happen here and the consequences were high.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by 2:
    palandri, A895 and Scott7217 like this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I'd like to know more about the family. Are they one on those Prepper Families (there's Prepper families on TV now) that think unmarked black helicopters are going to be circling their house and picking them up for FEMA labor camp for the New World Order?
    The article says that the family is from New Jersey. I haven't found any information that says they are survivalists or preppers. I think that if they were, the parents would have taught their daughter how to shoot at home.

    In any case, state officials are handling the incident as an industrial accident.
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    9-year-old accidentally kills range instructor with Uzi - CNN.com

    Bad enough you've got a frigging 9 year old shooting a UZI, even on single shot, but gee, lets have her fire it in full auto now!
    They both seem stupid the girl shouldn,t have shot him even if it was "accidently".... and the guy shouldn,t be standing there where he cloud get shot.

    Im happy to live in Denmark where that stuff never happen.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Momentary stupidity happens, even to the best of us. To make this incident political fuel for gun control is another kind of stupidity.
    Thanked by:
    A895 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by LillieBennett View Post
    Momentary stupidity happens, even to the best of us. To make this incident political fuel for gun control is another kind of stupidity.
    I disagree. Look at other countries where the citizens don't believe that having a firearm is some sort of god given right and you won't find this mix of stupidity and irresponsibility, thus it is something to consider. Exposing a child to our crazed gun culture at such a young age is like exposing them to alcohol or pornography as far as I'm concerned.

    If we can stop and examine our fascination with guns from a rational place and not from some sort of delusion that our government needs to be kept in check (which is a form of paranoia, btw) then maybe we can spare ourselves the agony of our gun culture, that most developed countries don't have to contend with. Until then, we'll continue to see these types of incidents on what seems like a weekly rate.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  21. #21  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,118 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I disagree. Look at other countries where the citizens don't believe that having a firearm is some sort of god given right and you won't find this mix of stupidity and irresponsibility, thus it is something to consider. Exposing a child to our crazed gun culture at such a young age is like exposing them to alcohol or pornography as far as I'm concerned.

    If we can stop and examine our fascination with guns from a rational place and not from some sort of delusion that our government needs to be kept in check (which is a form of paranoia, btw) then maybe we can spare ourselves the agony of our gun culture, that most developed countries don't have to contend with. Until then, we'll continue to see these types of incidents on what seems like a weekly rate.
    Yes let's take all dangerous things away from citizens. That way they cannot hurt themselves... Or we can trust them with the responsibility of having such items and stop demanding our government baby society.

    Let the idiots shoot themselves. The only real victim is the child in this situation.

    And about being paranoid: Having an armed citizenry is the same a wearing your seat belt. Statistics say that putting on your seat belt is a waste of time. Billions of car trips are made every year without incident, but we wear them because the consequences are too high to risk not wearing one. Having an armed citizenry is the exact same scenario. The cost of a society not being able to defend itself against a tyrannical government if far too high to not be armed. In fact, I am sure that statistics would be greatly in favor of any government becoming tyrannical than having a car wreck at any given time.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  22. #22  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Yes let's take all dangerous things away from citizens. That way they cannot hurt themselves... Or we can trust them with the responsibility of having such items and stop demanding our government baby society.

    Let the idiots shoot themselves. The only real victim is the child in this situation.

    And about being paranoid: Having an armed citizenry is the same a wearing your seat belt. Statistics say that putting on your seat belt is a waste of time. Billions of car trips are made every year without incident, but we wear them because the consequences are too high to risk not wearing one. Having an armed citizenry is the exact same scenario. The cost of a society not being able to defend itself against a tyrannical government if far too high to not be armed. In fact, I am sure that statistics would be greatly in favor of any government becoming tyrannical than having a car wreck at any given time.
    Thank you for proving my point....I'm not sure how not wearing a seat belt can be compared to citizens not carrying around assault rifles.....but it's part of the psychosis of our society.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  23. #23  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,118 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Thank you for proving my point....I'm not sure how not wearing a seat belt can be compared to citizens not carrying around assault rifles.....but it's part of the psychosis of our society.
    "carrying around assault rifles"

    I don't remember saying that... O wait that's because you did...
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  24. #24  

    Default Re: I give up....

    But we have our second amendment rights!! 'Merica! *rolls eyes*
    Sent from my S3
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 
  25. #25  

    Default Re: I give up....

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    "carrying around assault rifles"

    I don't remember saying that... O wait that's because you did...
    So a 6-shooter is enough to keep a tyrannical government in check? If not, what kind of gun do you think would keep a tyrannical government in check exactly?
    GadgetGator likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pictures don't show up for a single friend?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 09:49 PM
  3. App was never downloaded but still takes up space
    By JJ-Rod in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM
  4. App was never downloaded but still takes up space
    By JJ-Rod in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 08:51 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions