So, I've been hearing that Boko Haram, an affiliate of al-Qaeda, has been slaughtering more people in Nigeria. The last I heard was that an additional 2000 people died.

Still, I don't see as much outrage over these 2000 deaths when compared to the Charlie Hebdo shooting in France.

Is this another case of the world turning a blind eye to tragedy?
    01-14-2015 03:08 PM
    So, I've been hearing that Boko Haram, an affiliate of al-Qaeda, has been slaughtering more people in Nigeria. The last I heard was that an additional 2000 people died.

Still, I don't see as much outrage over these 2000 deaths when compared to the Charlie Hebdo shooting in France.

No. It's a case of journalist not being able to safely get into one area vs. another as well as big cities and their news offices vs. a much more undeveloped country.

Which is why you heard more about the mall shooting then what just happened. For the same reason you hear more about what happens on NYC streets than a small town in the Poconos. Location location location.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-14-2015 07:34 PM
    No. It's a case of journalist not being able to safely get into one area vs. another as well as big cities and their news offices vs. a much more undeveloped country.
    How should the world respond to what Amnesty International calls the "deadliest massacre" in the history of Boko Haram?

National Post -- Too many bodies to count: ‘Deadliest massacre’ in history of Boko Haram killed thousands, Amnesty International says (article link)

Excerpts:

YOLA, Nigeria — Hundreds of bodies – too many to count – remain strewn in the bush in Nigeria from an Islamic extremist attack that Amnesty International suggested Friday is the “deadliest massacre” in the history of Boko Haram.

Mike Omeri, the government spokesman on the insurgency, said fighting continued Friday for Baga, a town on the border with Chad where insurgents seized a key military base on Jan. 3 and attacked again on Wednesday.

“Security forces have responded rapidly, and have deployed significant military assets and conducted airstrikes against militant targets,” Omeri said in a statement.

District head Baba Abba Hassan said most victims are children, women and elderly people who could not run fast enough when insurgents drove into Baga, firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles on town residents.
    01-15-2015 12:31 AM

Unfortunately, the world has never cared much about what happens in Africa.
    01-15-2015 09:32 AM
    I agree a little more with this. If there was more financial interest in that area to the main world powers then you'd probably see more attempts at intervention.
    01-15-2015 10:06 PM
    I agree a little more with this. If there was more financial interest in that area to the main world powers then you'd probably see more attempts at intervention.
    If they take over Nigerian oil well we'll probably some type of action.
    01-15-2015 11:30 PM
    How should the world respond to what Amnesty International calls the "deadliest massacre" in the history of Boko Haram?

National Post -- Too many bodies to count: ‘Deadliest massacre’ in history of Boko Haram killed thousands, Amnesty International says (article link)

Excerpts:

YOLA, Nigeria — Hundreds of bodies – too many to count – remain strewn in the bush in Nigeria from an Islamic extremist attack that Amnesty International suggested Friday is the “deadliest massacre” in the history of Boko Haram.

Mike Omeri, the government spokesman on the insurgency, said fighting continued Friday for Baga, a town on the border with Chad where insurgents seized a key military base on Jan. 3 and attacked again on Wednesday.

“Security forces have responded rapidly, and have deployed significant military assets and conducted airstrikes against militant targets,” Omeri said in a statement.

District head Baba Abba Hassan said most victims are children, women and elderly people who could not run fast enough when insurgents drove into Baga, firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles on town residents.
    At some point we may have to respond. But realistically there are only so many places we can do battle at one time.

01-15-2015 11:50 PM
    And.....it looks like we may be laying the groundwork for that next battle since Kerry is heading to Nigeria to discuss.

Although now we have to worry about the collapse of Yemen. It just never ends. This region of the world just can't get it's act together and the rest of the world pays the price for this constant instability. (Sigh)

01-25-2015 03:29 PM
    Yay, more nation building...... /sarcasm
    01-25-2015 08:13 PM
    And.....it looks like we may be laying the groundwork for that next battle since Kerry is heading to Nigeria to discuss.

Although now we have to worry about the collapse of Yemen. It just never ends. This region of the world just can't get it's act together and the rest of the world pays the price for this constant instability. (Sigh)

This is from a different site I'm on (softball) and he's a democrat.

Here's how you fix it. They kill an American or launch a bombing against the west then you throw a dart at a map over there and obliterate whatever city it hits with a nuke. Keep doing it until they stop or there are no more of them. Their own kind will start giving them up quick.

If you think anything less will work you are wrong.
    01-26-2015 02:24 PM
    This is from a different site I'm on (softball) and he's a democrat.
    Do you agree with that assessment? Is that our only solution?

01-26-2015 03:55 PM
    Do you agree with that assessment? Is that our only solution?

Do I agree with it, no. But then again I don't think we will ever see a halt to the hatred of the west. With that said, there is a reason why that region has to have brutal dictators in order to keep these people in check. I heard one analysis last weak say that unless we kill the terrorist, his family, and anyone who claps for his actions, we will never see an end to this. I'm starting to wonder when countries start halting immigration from certain middle eastern countries for 10yrs.
    01-26-2015 04:04 PM
    Do I agree with it, no. But then again I don't think we will ever see a halt to the hatred of the west. With that said, there is a reason why that region has to have brutal dictators in order to keep these people in check. I heard one analysis last weak say that unless we kill the terrorist, his family, and anyone who claps for his actions, we will never see an end to this. I'm starting to wonder when countries start halting immigration from certain middle eastern countries for 10yrs.
    God help us, that might literally be the only way to possibly prevent it.
    01-26-2015 04:30 PM
    Hopefully the Nigerian people will be able to hold out against Boko Haram, but reading articles like this does not make me feel optimistic.

CNN -- Strategic city falls in Nigeria's battle against Boko Haram (article link)
    01-26-2015 09:50 PM
    IMHO only USA can stop Boko, Nigeria army isnt really enought to stop them.
    01-28-2015 03:44 PM
    IMHO only USA can stop Boko, Nigeria army isnt really enought to stop them.
    If you had to advise President Obama, what would you tell him to do in Nigeria? Should we send in troops to fight Boko Haram?
    01-28-2015 09:56 PM
    no, USA is not world police if nigerian wants a peace they must bleed for it
    07-20-2015 04:45 AM
    Better late than never, I suppose:

BBC News -- Boko Haram crisis: US deploys troops in Cameroon (article link)

From the article:

US President Barack Obama has announced that US armed forces have been deployed to Cameroon to help fight against the Islamist militants Boko Haram.

The force, which will be 300 strong, will conduct airborne intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance operations in the region.

Cameroon and Chad have been targeted by the Islamist militants from northern Nigeria.

Mr Obama said the forces would remain in Cameroon until "no longer needed".
    10-14-2015 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD