Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

Fortunately for the sake of society, you do not have the right to respect the rule of law in one context, while simultaneously giving it the finger in another. That is exactly what you are doing, consciously or unconsciously, within the past several propaganda threads you've either created of become involved in. Hiding behind a rule of law (albeit, an uninformed one on your part) regarding the impeachment of a sitting president while playing wild-west cowboy disregarding the law in another matter.

The constitution is not religious text to be worshiped. It is the imperfect framework from which our nation of laws exists. Either respect it as it is or have the dignity to disregard it in whole. Cherry-picking which of our highest values to respect is insulting to any informed person.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    Fortunately for the sake of society, you do not have the right to respect the rule of law in one context, while simultaneously giving it the finger in another. That is exactly what you are doing, consciously or unconsciously, within the past several propaganda threads you've either created of become involved in. Hiding behind a rule of law (albeit, an uninformed one on your part) regarding the impeachment of a sitting president while playing wild-west cowboy disregarding the law in another matter.

The constitution is not religious text to be worshiped. It is the imperfect framework from which our nation of laws exists. Either respect it as it is or have the dignity to disregard it in whole. Cherry-picking which of our highest values to respect is insulting to any informed person.
    Have you ever broken a law? Any law whether you were caught or not. I can agree with some laws and totally disregard others as long as I'm willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Many great people had to break the law to change it.

Sent from my refrigerator

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post

The Constitution is what affirms my right to bear arms, it affirms my right to defend myself, my family. Any law that goes against the Constitution is illegal and it is not only my right, but it is my duty not to follow it. Look up Unconstitutional.

Carolinadroid:
    Above you posted a quote from me that just said "snip" I would like to know where you quoted that from. Repeatedly you have taken my posts apart and used them out of context, or in an attack of some form or another.

In the future I must insist that if you are going to quote me you use the entire post that you are quoting.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Have you ever broken a law? Any law whether you were caught or not. I can agree with some laws and totally disregard others as long as I'm willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Many great people had to break the law to change it.
    Where 20th century America is concerned, please provide specific examples of civil laws (not company rules, etc) which were broken in the name of the greater good. If you cannot cite the text of the law and intelligently explain how the action(s) of a person or persons were illegal, you are probably conflating the breaking of laws with exercising universal rights under the law. A distinction with a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post

Sent from my refrigerator
    Imagine what our country would be if our founding fathers had obeyed the law issued by King George that stated they must turn in their muskets.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    The Constitution is what affirms my right to bear arms, it affirms my right to defend myself, my family. Any law that goes against the Constitution is illegal and it is not only my right, but it is my duty not to follow it. Look up Unconstitutional.
    You and those who may agree with you do not have any bearing for determining what is, or is not, unconstitutional. That is why we have the judicial process.

Carolinadroid:
    Above you posted a quote from me that just said "snip" I would like to know where you quoted that from. Repeatedly you have taken my posts apart and used them out of context, or in an attack of some form or another.

In the future I must insist that if you are going to quote me you use the entire post that you are quoting.
    Where propaganda in your posts are concerned, I don't exactly feel compelled to regurgitate it within my response. Furthermore, you have a long record of skirting questions for which you are unprepared. Yet, you demand others not avoid your questions. Find some consistency, please.

I admit that several of these do apply to me, yet overall I found this video to be entertaining. Especially the part about finding brass in the laundry..

For entertainment purposes only:

Here is a well thought out article from 2 women explaining why they have chosen an AR-15 for home defense. At its heart and overall I think this will answer a lot of the questions about why an AR-15 is desirable for protection.

Now personally, I own several of these weapons and they are among the easiest to shoot.

Here is a video of a young girl shooting an AR-15.

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

/snip/
    Why didn't you just come out and say that your only purpose in these threads is to propagandize the issue and not to bother having a responsible, adult discussion free of partisan pettiness? Absolutists define themselves so clearly. Just an observation.

Anyone else notice the pro-gun control crowd always tells a lie then the truth on this issue?

"no one wants to ban guns, we believe in the second amendment." <<<the lie

"we just want to ban 'assault weapons' (despite the fact that there is no such thing) <<<the truth>>> because they are killing lots of people <<<another lie>>>

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Here is a well thought out article from 2 women explaining why they have chosen an AR-15 for home defense. At its heart and overall I think this will answer a lot of the questions about why an AR-15 is desirable for protection.

Now personally, I own several of these weapons and they are among the easiest to shoot.

Here is a video of a young girl shooting an AR-15.

Insert Sarcasm: "Weird, it's almost like she had to pull the trigger once, separately, for each individual round that she wanted to propel towards the target. It's almost like there is nothing military grade about this weapon, it being semi-automatic, and not even possessing a selector to switch to burst or full-auto mode. Could it be that the only difference between this and a Remington semi-auto, magazine fed .22 Rifle as sold by Walmart is the cosmetic design of the weapon? Oh noes, propaganda! You've misled me again! "Assault style weapon" doesn't have anything to do with assault rifles, such as the ACTUAL M16 or AK-47? Dare I suggest that it's incredibly difficult for Joe Schmoe to get a hold of either of those without being an active member of a military that is issuing said weapon? This is all just political and media spin to scare people? WHEN DID WE START DOING THAT? *End Sarcasm*

Look folks. Lets be honest. This weapon is no more or less dangerous than a Clint Eastwood style Magnum 44 pistol or a .22 LR "pea shooter". It only looks menacing to people who don't know anything about the use of these weapons. If you want to make an argument that any weapon should be "banned", it should be pistols, because of the ability to conceal it and the numbers of pistols that are used in crimes and accidental shootings, as opposed to rifles. That being said, that argument was already lost long ago and it'd be a major fight to take it to the SCOTUS again. As everyone has stated, in the real world, banning these things make you exactly 0% more safe and because of the ineffectualness of the methodology, will force more drastic actions in the future following that failure. I agree we need to do something, but it needs to be based on logic and reason, not fear and hatred.
    Live2ride883 and ConTejas like this.

The Hustleman: I think I am gonna have to get a few of these soon to round out my collection.

My guess is that you are extremely book smart, but have no common sense. I'll bet that you are one of those people that regularly drive 60mph in the left lane of a 70mph interstate refusing to move over for faster traffic just because you can and that your personality is dryer than a popcorn fart. Please take your snobby arrogance and ignorance somewhere else. I was really hoping Jerry shut you up!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    If you want to make an argument that any weapon should be "banned", it should be pistols, because of the ability to conceal it and the numbers of pistols that are used in crimes and accidental shootings, as opposed to rifles.
    This is exactly the argument I made on 1/16. Then, fear-based propaganda set in.

If assault weapons are bad why does the DHS (Dept. of Homeland Security) want to buy 7,000 of them for personal defense. By the way these ones are select fire, which means they have the capacity for semi-automatic and automatic. They have also requested the 30 round high capacity magazines.

At the bottom of the page above there is also a link to an event where a home break in was thwarted by simply showing the AR-15. Here is that direct link as well.

This is the type of person we need the media to report about nationwide instead of the villains.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

This is the type of person we need the media to report about nationwide instead of the villains.

A for effort, but REALLY need to work on her accuracy. This is a crowded, contained space and she apparently missed with every shot. This could have easily turned into a lot of bystanders getting hurt. I'm all for people protecting themselves, their families and their property as necessary, but if you're not trained with your weapon, it's more dangerous to you and everyone else than it is to the criminal. This lady had the guts, but apparently not the corresponding knowledge.
    Thanked by:

However I am glad she waited until he left the bus, yet I wonder why no one else on the bus got involved.

Even though this was not in the actual movie, you have to appreciate the pure simplistic approach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?-309803_423141207768116_817585048_n.jpg  

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

/snip/
    Right. You just don't know what arms meant in 18th century English common law. Or militia. Or standing army.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

It's pretty straight forward. According to the context of the document, (the actual Constitution) the militia is any State organized and regulated military organization with Federal support in the way of providing provisions and arms.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Prior to the Bill of Rights, the Militia is only mentioned twice, in two subsequent bullets in Article 1: Section 8. Article 1 is devoted to enumerating the powers of Congress and Section 8 generally deals with their ability to legislate revenue and provide for the defense of the nation.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Source:

The Bill of Rights, Amendment II then states:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The capitalization of Militia indicates that this is an official organization, likely the one referenced in Art. 1 Sec. 8. Thus, if you are a member of the National Guard or other State sponsored and organized Militia, you are paid thusly by the Congress of the United States of America, who is also responsible for paying the bill for your Arms.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

While there have been many court interpretations of this statements, these 3 sentences, the original intent is pretty obvious. Then we arrive at the context. For the first 150 years of being a nation, the 2nd amendment was not thought of to be considered relevant to a person's right to own personal protection or hunting weapons and the supreme court affirmed this in 1939. It was generally understood that the states and local governments would regulate the ownership and use of weapons as they saw fit, which is precisely what happened. For examples, bans on firearms in the events that led up the the OK Corral. It was common sense that everyone could own reasonable weapons, and there were places where you could and could not have them.

At the end of the 1960s this interpretation changed and eventually the SCOTUS made a decision that the right to bear arms was related to private citizens, and we've been arguing ever since. The bottom line is, that until about 50 years ago, it was COMMON SENSE that people could own weapons and that the local and state governments could regulate them. I'm not clear on how we got so confused on this, but with all the fear mongering, I thought it was time to clarify some of the context of the situation. The case law is fascinating, and I recommend reading it, not just the same 42 cases that get put up on specific websites, but really dig into it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

As a final thought. The 2nd amendment may not protect your rights in any way, however there is another concept that does. The federal government cannot restrict your ability to buy weapons in any way EXCEPT through their ability to regulate interstate commerce BECAUSE the constitution does not specifically enumerate that power to them. However, the States can, and I believe in some ways, such as automatic rifles, tanks, fighter jets, etc. they should. Lets lose the fear and the attitude and talk reasonably. We either follow the constitution, as written, without spin or we ignore it. Taking pieces of it and throwing out other pieces is a surefire way for us to spend eternity arguing about nothing.
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Also, I am very aware of DC v Heller, and take it as binding until reversed, however I also believe that Jefferson would have beaten the tar out of those Justices before hanging them at a Philadelphia sunrise were he to have been privy to their arguments on this and many other cases.
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast