Page 1 of 32 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

Opinions, thoughts?
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM

Quote Originally Posted by kc8flb View Post
    Opinions, thoughts?
    First layer of protection needs to be metal detectors in at least every public school. Forget about the impression it gives. Nothing is a worse impression than hearing breaking news.
    DEman19901 and skafri#WN like this.

ROM
    stock

How about letting everyone working there carry a gun i know if i wanted to shoot up a place its not going to be somewere everyone is packing.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tysdad08 View Post
    How about letting everyone working there carry a gun i know if i wanted to shoot up a place its not going to be somewere everyone is packing.
    Agreed. The places that crazy people pick for mass shootings are mostly gun free zones. Gun free zones are just target rich enviroments for these loonies because the government prohibits people from defending themselves in these areas. The only one that has a gun is the criminal.

Do we honestly believe that a gun free zone will stop a criminal? Do they follow the laws?

Virginia tech, ft hood and columbine were all in gun free zones. The only people who didn't have guns were the ones who needed to defend themselves.
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM
    Thanked by:

Can anyone really control the mind of a "troubled" person? That answer I say would be - no we cannot. So, I too suggest putting metal detectors in every school (Public /private) to protect everyone from these "mindless fools".
    Thanked by:
    thekid 

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Stop putting kids on Ritalin and all the ADHD meds that alter their behavior and in many cases make them worse. A lot of these people weren't sociopathic until they starting taking these meds.
    Thanked by 5:

Quote Originally Posted by corona10 View Post
    Stop putting kids on Ritalin and all the ADHD meds that alter their behavior and in many cases make them worse. A lot of these people weren't sociopathic until they starting taking these meds.
    I couldn't agree more with this. Our new status quo of medicating everything is probably a contributing factor in this mess. What happened to parenting? I think another factor is the media sensationalizing these shootings. If the media is going to cover it then call the shooters for what they are, Cowards, not mass killers or shooters or the gunmen. Who would want to be forever known as a coward? People that do this are looking for attention and have seen the attention garnered by other mass shootings and think that it's cool to be known as the gunman or the shooter. I believe another factor is the complacency of our society with violence in our society in general. The shows on TV have absolutely no problem showing graphic violence and gore on the shows, but yet flip out if a human nipple pops out.

In all actuality there is no way to stop these shootings altogether because no matter what if someone is going to attempt this, with or without metal detectors, they will accomplish it. The human will is an amazing force to be reckoned with.
    If at first you don't succeed, read, read again.
    ConTejas, Darth Spock and m4p like this.

How about parents being parents? Also think there should be bag checks in the schools. Many jobs do bag checks.particularly in the retail industry. The instructors can do this as they leave the classroom. Also make the school s closed campus. If there are issues at the schools don't allow students to leave campus on lunch break. Kids today have too many freedoms

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass s

The problem with the metal detectors and the bag checks is that someone intent on shooting up a school is NOT going to submit to either one. They are looking for a body count, and they will start with the person running the metal detector or checking bags.

I'm not saying either one of those are bad ideas, or should not be implemented, as they will catch the few dumb enough to bring a gun or knife to school for reasons other than a MASS shooting.

You can't prevent them, but you can minimize the damage and maximize the response when one occurs. Police have changed tactics when handling an active shooter, and schools are educating their staff and students on what to do.

Education and planning really is the key. Think about it, there has been no documented death of a student in a school fire in the last century, but go to any school and you can't go five feet without seeing what? a fire extinguisher, or alarm, or sprinkler system. They do fire drills regularly. As they should. Preparing for an active shooter is no different. You develop a plan, and you DRILL. Many schools are already doing this.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman is an expert in this field, and I would recommend reading any of his books.

And I personally see absolutely NO problem with allowing the teachers/staff to carry guns. Again banning guns anywhere only removes them from the law abiding citizens. Putting a "No firearms allowed" sign out front does no more to stop a criminal from carrying his gun onto the property, than a "No Robberies Allowed" sign would prevent him from robbing a bank.

I don't remember the name of the school, but Grossman spoke of it. It was a school on an Indian reservation, and they had uniformed security officers posted at the front doors of the school. Uniformed Security Officers who were NOT allowed to carry firearms on the school property. Guess who the first persons shot in that school shooting was? I'll give you one guess.

And for anyone here who thinks, "I live in Smalltown, USA, that will never happen here." The small towns are exactly where these incidents occur most often.
    Thanked by:
    ConTejas likes this.

ROM
    mik_os CM7

I despise this desire to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don't infringe on everyone's rights under the guise of protection. Stay at home if you're scared.

I don't want my kids growing up in a world where metal detectors and "show me your papers" is normal. Nutters will and always have existed. The most proven deterrent is harsh punishment of the nutter. Not "suspect they neighbor". Fry a few of these nut jobs and the next one will think twice, or not, but stay out of my man purse!!

Oh yeah, "give granny a gun" is an absolutely idiotic idea!

Sent from my LG-P509
    ConTejas and wasnotwas like this.

Give teachers shotguns and uzi's to combat the evil students
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

What nutcase believes turning public schools into prisons (think of the way their environment would be viewed by adolescent minds) is a progressive step in the right direction. Until handguns are removed from the public market, this stupidity will continue. Want a hunting rifle or shotgun? Fine, as long as it is registered federally, licensed by the State, and secured in a home safe. Handguns and long-barrell weapons are 2 VERY different animals in the post-Founders' world.

Just as you have no right to an atomic cannon, there is no "absolute" right to own lethal weapons which can deliver death from a coward's distance.

The NRA should be defined as a domestic terrorist organization.
    DEman19901 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    What nutcase believes turning public schools into prisons (think of the way their environment would be viewed by adolescent minds) is a progressive step in the right direction. Until handguns are removed from the public market, this stupidity will continue. Want a hunting rifle or shotgun? Fine, as long as it is registered federally, licensed by the State, and secured in a home safe. Handguns and long-barrell weapons are 2 VERY different animals in the post-Founders' world.Just as you have no right to an atomic cannon, there is no "absolute" right to own lethal weapons which can deliver death from a coward's distance.The NRA should be defined as a domestic terrorist organization.
    If you remove all handguns from the public, that means you are banning them from legal law abiding citizens. If you do that then the only people who would have them is the criminals who don't care about laws. How does that help anything? Not understanding why the nra should be labeled a terrorist organization. Why would you say that? They are the largest organization that represents legal law abiding gun owners. They teach gun safety and proper use to not just citizens but to most police departments in this country.Not sure about how schools would turn into prisons? The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun
    Thanked by 6:
    Ry, Irvgotti, skd584 and 2 others like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

If you remove all handguns from the public, that means you are banning them from legal law abiding citizens. If you do that then the only people who would have them is the criminals who don't care about laws. How does that help anything?
    When handguns are removed from the public market, their presence will shrink to non-existence over time. By what legal precedent do you have the right to a handgun, specifically, versus, for example, a 12-gauge shotgun or a reasonable hunting rifle? If all you've got is bumper-sticker responses (eg. "The 2nd Amendment"), you've already lost your argument without even knowing it.

Justify, with a specific argument, why military-grade weapons should be readily available on the open, public market, including high-capacity magazines. Justify why, with specifics, manufacturers of these military-grade weapons should continue to produce them for sale on the open, public market. How is a person any less safe within their home when their only firearm is a shotgun or hunting rifle. How did America possibly survive before automatic weapons and handguns became prominent via the NRA?

Not understanding why the nra should be labeled a terrorist organization. Why would you say that? They are the largest organization that represents legal law abiding gun owners. They teach gun safety and proper use to not just citizens but to most police departments in this country.
    Right. And organized crime is the highest net contributor to the Catholic Church, as well. Just as world-wide despots with handsome smiles on their faces take official photos with school-children who look upon him with adoration. Meaning that good PR is priceless (and a cheap investment) for those undermining civility and our highest ideals. The NRA is an agenda-riddled organization which promotes an over-romanticized concept of gun ownership based on the Southern Strategy of fear and code. Karl Rove must be proud. The sum of which only exists to sell a product which only serves as a deadly weapon, largely to those uninterested in proper use and storage.

Not sure about how schools would turn into prisons?
    You're not sure about much, are you? You're actually incapable of placing yourself into the mind of a small child in school who has to see and physically deal with prison-level security within their public school on a daily basis? The sadistic conditioning that will produce in a small child's mind, over time, is cruel and reprehensible.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun
    On some unfounded conceptual basis, you believe, errantly, that you have the absolute right to the firearm of your choice. Why can't you purchase an RPG launcher again? It takes a coward to confront a coward? Really? Armed personnel or bystanders were unable to produce any positive result in Columbine, Aurora, or VT.

Lefty, you're supposed to be tolerant and understanding, not arrogant and condescending.

And military grade weapons haven't been available on the open market for decades, contrary to the talking points you're listening to
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by King Howie View Post
    Lefty, you're supposed to be tolerant and understanding, not arrogant and condescending.

And military grade weapons haven't been available on the open market for decades, contrary to the talking points you're listening to

Yep, if you want a military grade weapon (aka assault weapon) you'd have to go through some serious steps (think 6 months fbi bg check, registration, 200$tax, AND get the approval signature of the police chief before you can buy, (Google the NFA) then the prices? You can't find an assault rifle for less than 7k for a CHEAP one and I've seen them go up as far as 30k and keep in mind these guns were made in the mid 80's or later.

Private citizens haven't been able to own a new or semi new assault rifle in ages.

Sorry but you Cannot listen to the media on gun issues.

In fact it should be illegal to even talk about gun issues when you know nothing about guns.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Thanked by:
    Ry, Kelly Kearns and Darth Spock like this.

Opinions, thoughts?
    Armed well trained guards (preferably police academy grads or off duty officers) at the location - we have them for our money, why not have the same or better protection for our children?

Next mental background checks (although it already is the law in GA).

Create a law that bg checks are required for private sales BUT make it free at a gun shop, police department, OR a website but offer a printout of the results of the check and a bill of sale all in one.

Then the tricky part is how can we take guns from the illegal people without penalizing the legal folks who aren't shooting anyone.

People say ban them, but dc had a handgun ban and their murder rate was 3x the National average meanwhile Vermont doesn't even require a permit to carry. People have guns as young as 16 there but their murder rate is 1/3 of the national average.

Chicago is dangerous, but their gun laws are more strict than NY or CA. Their gun laws just don't ake any sense, yet they are there and people are being killed.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Darth Spock likes this.

I lost a good friend at the Aurora, CO shooting, I honestly believe that if there had been a ccw there Matt would still be alive. I miss him everyday, and honestly my thoughts on what should be done to the criminal are not very christian of me.

There is a federal mandated 1000 ft gun free zone around every public school in the U.S.

Every shooter in these mass shooters is either a criminal or a mental health patient. In all cases the laws on the books did nothing to stop them from getting the guns.

Another sad truth is the way gun owners are being demonized and turned into outcasts, around Christmas I posted a link to a gun my wife bought for me. I was immediately blasted for it by several members. Granted it probably wasn't the best forum for that post, but no mods stepped in and closed it or moved it so I am not sure what the problem was.

Link http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tmas-ever.html
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    The Hustleman and Ry like this.

Double post.
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus

Should we pass a law banning smart phones because people kill other people while texting and driving? Should we mandate GPS be active and disable the screen on a smart phone when traveling faster than a walking speed? We do not do these things because it would infringe on the public at large or the passengers while in transit. We all know that lives would be saved by doing them but we still do not.
    You do not take away or limit the best tool of individual self defense because some people choose to do wrong. On top of it all it does not work in reducing murders!
    Deaths by mass murder are reduced when the murderer is stopped by someone with a gun. Let those trained and licensed to carry a weapon do so everywhere. President Obama should push to end all gun free zones.
    Diordna11 and satannik like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Clearly, those wrapping themselves in their poorly conceived notion of the 2nd Amendment are refusing to get within a country mile of the sensible questions I previously asked. Their forthcoming childish ridicule (while continuing to avoid serious discussion) will be duly noted.

Troll
    Thanked by 2:
    Live2ride883 and Markster1 like this.

To all the gun haters that say more guns = more crime, how do you explain Vermont having a lower than average murder rate but DC having triple the national average murder rate?

Or Kennesaw, GA having a law that states that every head of household must own a gun and went without a single murder for 25 years?

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King Howie View Post
    Troll
    Have I reason to be concerned of your personally attacking opinion when you avoid, like the plague, responsible positions which address my points? I think not.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    To all the gun haters that say .....
    No one here has said that. As a reformed, card-carrying NRA member and still a level-headed conservative, I find the need to conjure up irresponsible, sideshow arguments insulting to the memory of those innocents who have died from the barrel aimed at them from a coward's distance.

Think Bushmaster AR-15s aren't easily available? Seriously?
Page 1 of 32 1234 ... LastLast