Samsung moving to seamless updates?

rbird2

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
This is not as good as it sounds.

You will now be waiting ~1hour for the phone update to Optimize apps.

The one thing I noticed and liked was how fast the last 2 updates were on My S24+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung has been postponing this for years and I'm not crazy about it but if Samsung can do this better than Google which takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to download to your phone then I'm ok with it because Samsung updates as it is currently fast in 10 minutes it already installed.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Of course, that depends on the size of the downloads and the quality of your internet connection. Also, with Google handling the Google Play system updates, that takes some of the load off of the OEMs.

I don't know why people seem to think Samsung's update process is bad. Much of the perceived problems can be attributed to the carriers and the rest is a Veruca Salt mentality. If you don't know who Veruca Salt is, watch "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

i-want-it-now.gif

Reactions: jlost

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
This is not as good as it sounds.

You will now be waiting ~1hour for the phone update to Optimize apps.

The one thing I noticed and liked was how fast the last 2 updates were on My S24+.
You don't have to wait. You can use it the whole time it's updating. Except for one reboot.

Reactions: notforhire

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Boo. Unless Google plans to change how it updates the OS as a whole, such as taking over chunks of updates instead of Samsung, they should have just left it alone.

Major updates take no more than 10 minutes. If you have the desire to press update, you have time to wait 10 minutes. Postponing it also won't hurt anyone.

To each their own. I'm not thrilled about it.

And even more importantly, how will this affect us with ODIN? It's a life safer if something goes wrong. Who knows how A/B will impact it.

el_mono70

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
Not thrilled, perhaps I'm just resistant to change. Does the S24 even support such an approach(two partitions with two copies of the os)?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Boo. Unless Google plans to change how it updates the OS as a whole, such as taking over chunks of updates instead of Samsung, they should have just left it alone.

Major updates take no more than 10 minutes. If you have the desire to press update, you have time to wait 10 minutes. Postponing it also won't hurt anyone.

To each their own. I'm not thrilled about it.

And even more importantly, how will this affect us with ODIN? It's a life safer if something goes wrong. Who knows how A/B will impact it.
Good question hopefully it doesn't for Odin but I'm sure we have XDA will figure it out

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Good question hopefully it doesn't for Odin but I'm sure we have XDA will figure it out
I'd assume the same but Samsung ads an extra kink with Knox, so who knows how that will affect A/B also....

Preemptive worrying but this is a nightmare. If it ain't broke don't fix it, goes the saying. Just look at Snapdragon Samsungs. Only twice was the bootloader cracked (and you had to pay for someone to do it on XDA) and you lost Knox. To this day after all these years we still can't unlock the bootloader. Samsung makes it tricky

I have a feeling this will break and take time to fix.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'd assume the same but Samsung ads an extra kink with Knox, so who knows how that will affect A/B also....

Preemptive worrying but this is a nightmare. If it ain't broke don't fix it, goes the saying. Just look at Snapdragon Samsungs. Only twice was the bootloader cracked (and you had to pay for someone to do it on XDA) and you lost Knox. To this day after all these years we still can't unlock the bootloader. Samsung makes it tricky

I have a feeling this will break and take time to fix.
I have the same feeling lol
The dam international models usually come with unlock bootloader but US because the carriers they mess things up.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If my understanding is correct, the main benefit of seamless updates is not just so you can still use your phone during the update, but rather if something bad happens during the update...whatever it may be...it will not completely toast your phone due to the untouched partition that is still in working order. I guess it's time for Samsung to get with the program! I'm just glad that they're experimenting with mid-range phones and not the S24's.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The chances of an update bricking your phone is extremely small. In the almost 20 years of using smart phones, I have never had a phone bricked from an update. Even when I was rooting. In the cases where someone's phone was bricked was almost always the users fault. Whether they take responsibility for it is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1eyejack

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I want to be clear when I talk about odin and flashing im only referring to stock firmware that come from Samsung servers no Root or unlocking bootloader I've been out of that game for some time .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
"Enabling Seamless Updates requires the device manufacturer to make bootloader-level changes. It can only happen in the factory state, meaning, before the handset gets into the hands of the consumer"

That's what I kinda thought

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys86