Question Message (SMS) reception irritation

mrodent

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Dear all,

I have a pretty old Samsung - J6 dual sim. I'm in the UK.

I have a constantly tormenting issue, which I've had literally for years. Every time I want to log in to a financial account online (on a computer, not on the phone) I have to wait to get an OTC (one-time code) sent. About 50% of the time I don't get the notification... unless I turn off the phone and turn it back on again.

This doesn't appear to be specific to the financial institution concerned (although possibly some seem worse than others). Sometimes it seems just to depend on the day, i.e. luck. But I think the phone is the main culprit. I've had (like many Samsung users) many years of problems with notifications for incoming emails not bleeping as configured to do... But this question is about messages (SMS) specifically (and the bleeping of the notification as configured).

Are there any apps out there which specifically, and very stupidly, simply do a loop internally, say once a minute, just to look to see whether a new message has arrived (and then issue some notification, which I can hopefully configure to make a bleep)? My theory is that these SMSs have in fact arrived somewhere in the phone, but that Samsung's system is too incompetent to spot it.

Also I am thinking possibly of getting a new Samsung dual sim, maybe an A-something. Anyone with any knowledge of how different newer Samsung models do with notifications (for incoming emails and SMS) got any recommendations? I mean, have they improved? (from my searching I have seen mixed reports!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you're waiting for the OTP, do you have the phone on with the Messages app open? If so, then you should see the message arrive. If the SMS was sent and received successfully, it wouldn't be invisible. If you're not seeing it arrive, then there are a number of possible failure points -- the network, company's server, your phone (e.g. its reception, software that might be interfering, etc.). Or are you only noticing this when the phone's screen is asleep?

Does this ever happen when a friend or family member tries to send you an SMS? (We may have to discount any issues with iPhones trying to send SMS, since that's probably a separate issue.)

Do you have any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver or "RAM booster" apps installed? If so, turn them off/uninstall them.

Your phone is dual SIM standby, which means you have to manually choose which SIM is active. Are those OTP messages definitely being sent to the active SIM's number? From what I understand about dual SIM standby, if you have one SIM active and a call or message comes in on the other SIM, the phone won't automatically recognize it.

mrodent

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
When you're waiting for the OTP, do you have the phone on with the Messages app open? If so, then you should see the message arrive. If the SMS was sent and received successfully, it wouldn't be invisible. If you're not seeing it arrive, then there are a number of possible failure points -- the network, company's server, your phone (e.g. its reception, software that might be interfering, etc.). Or are you only noticing this when the phone's screen is asleep?
Thanks, helpful thoughts here.
Actually no, I've never thought of opening the Messages app before clicking "send me an OTP"... I'll definitely try that.

I notice it very much when the screen is awake.

Does this ever happen when a friend or family member tries to send you an SMS? (We may have to discount any issues with iPhones trying to send SMS, since that's probably a separate issue.)
No, it's really all about OTPs ... only, as far as I'm aware.
Do you have any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver or "RAM booster" apps installed? If so, turn them off/uninstall them.
No, over the years I've learnt a fair amount about turning off "power-saving" things.
Your phone is dual SIM standby, which means you have to manually choose which SIM is active. Are those OTP messages definitely being sent to the active SIM's number? From what I understand about dual SIM standby, if you have one SIM active and a call or message comes in on the other SIM, the phone won't automatically recognize it.
It's always the case that I get the OTP sent to the "active" SIM of the two.

So sounds like there is no app to do periodic monitoring as far as you know...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of any app that would do the monitoring that you're asking about because the messaging app should give you a notification as soon as the message arrives (unless, of course, you have Do Not Disturb or something similar turned on).

Have you been able to check with anyone else who uses those financial institutions (i.e., family or friends) to see if they also have frequent delays with OTP delivery via SMS?

mrodent

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've phoned my main bank about this a few times... they always claim that, er, "this is a very unusual complaint". But it happens with many of my banks and investment platforms, to be honest. And with HMRC (UK tax authority), for example.

I haven't really talked about it to many people. But most of the people I know seem to have iPhones. I *think* (not sure) that iPhones are probably better from this point of view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45