Time and Weather is incorrect for Bhutan

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but the time is off by 1/2 hour, and the weather was wrong for when I was there. The time and weather on my iOS ipod touch is correct for Bhutan. Makes me wonder how accurate other places are on Android.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you recall if the time source was set to Automatic Date and Time and Automatic Time Zone, or did you manually set the time and zone on your Android phone?

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the 4x1 weather clock widget. I have not done anything else. But when I added Thimpu, Bhutan the time was wrong and the temperature was wrong. The temp on my ipad touch was more realistic to what the weather was.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Cool, this helps. Sounds like the Weather Widget may have had an issue. Could be that the widget draws on timezone data from an invalid or slightly off time source. That part of Southeast Asia has some quirks for timezone and there are a few countries or states within the countries there that are 1/2 hour to 1 hour off of the adjoining neighbors. Middle East Time Zone Map -Worldatlas.com is one view.
Another neat way to see this is with this interactive map Time Zone Map Hover over Thimphu and you'll see its 0630 Thursday, Nov 29. Lhasa is 0830, and Kathmandu is 0615 for the same day.
This is all probably making sense given you were in that general area, but may help to illustrate that some apps may not be designed for the mini regional time zone variances that occur within locations that are relatively close to each other as the crow flies :).
The other possibility exists that your phone's clock may not have had Thimpu as a reference time source. I poked around on mine (using default clock) and couldn't find Thimphu. Kathmandu was about the closest. I then checked on an iDevice and in the Settings/General/Date & Time searched for Thimphu and its there. So if your ipod touch was configured for Set Automatically, then its possible it picked up a local time source. Since its an iPod Touch and not an iPhone, I'm not sure how it would have gotten a telecom carrier provided time source.
Back to my Android phone, I followed the same path and unchecked the Automatic time zone option, which then allowed me to select a time zone. I do not see Thimphu listed. Kathmandu at UTC/GMT +5:45 hours would have probably been your closest match.
So, the above is probably why your Android phone's time was off assuming that it couldnt get a time update from a local telecom carrier. This may also explain why your Weather Widget was off on the time. Not clear how accurate the various Weather apps are in general, or yours in this instance, are for places like Thimphu.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the long reply, but under the time and date, I have many cities listed. I would assume that whatever source, it knows the right time or temp for a place. This was was so obvious, as the time is incorrect. I am not sure who runs the weather/clock widget, but if they are listening, they need to correct a few things.

phonenut

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the long reply, but under the time and date, I have many cities listed. I would assume that whatever source, it knows the right time or temp for a place. This was was so obvious, as the time is incorrect. I am not sure who runs the weather/clock widget, but if they are listening, they need to correct a few things.
sig.jpg
you need to stop complaining

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01