I've got a Toq. You've got questions. Fire away!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Toq is all about that difference between AMOLED vs Mirasol - a color screen you can see outside in direct sunlight and doesn't burn through the battery in a day :) Sure AMOLED is going to look fantastic indoors, but since the Toq isn't a "camera" the color aspect is really just for fun, it doesn't need to have a "serious" color display, just one that can convey the glancable information and maybe color-code it (and nicer pictures of your contacts than a Pebble when people call :) ).

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
The Toq is all about that difference between AMOLED vs Mirasol - a color screen you can see outside in direct sunlight and doesn't burn through the battery in a day :) Sure AMOLED is going to look fantastic indoors, but since the Toq isn't a "camera" the color aspect is really just for fun, it doesn't need to have a "serious" color display, just one that can convey the glancable information and maybe color-code it (and nicer pictures of your contacts than a Pebble when people call :) ).

Yeah. My concern at this point (and it's still way early) is less about the color, and more about the contrast.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It comes with a Book?

Ha, I think you're referring to the charging "box", looks a little strange because I haven't peeled the protective plastic off it yet (the case/box is glossy piano black). One of the reasons this thing costs so much is that everything feels really premium, from the packaging to the charging box to the watch itself (although I'm not thrilled I'm gonna have to physically cut the strap to make it fit).

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Does it have any recording capabilities (for voice notes)? And if so, would that function work if outside the range of the connection to the phone?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice! When did you order yours? I pre ordered mine on 11/25 and nothing. It hasnt even shipped yet! I dont get why they offer a pre- order period and yet still have a 1-3 wk shipping time frame. This is obviously out of their core business. Ugh!

Pre-ordered 11/24 - didn't hear anything until last night I got the email notification, and then it came today. I selected 2-day shipping, but noticed it was "out for early delivery" today :) You'll probably get an email tonight or tomorrow.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil

Hey Phil, any issues pairing yours to your phone? I couldn't get mine to see the Nexus 5 (or visa versa), had to initiate a factory reset to get it to work.

Last edited:

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Pre-ordered 11/24 - didn't hear anything until last night I got the email notification, and then it came today. I selected 2-day shipping, but noticed it was "out for early delivery" today :) You'll probably get an email tonight or tomorrow.

I hope so! Enjoy yours! How are you liking it so far?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope so! Enjoy yours! How are you liking it so far?

I've been playing around with it so much I still haven't cut the strap and actually put it on my wrist yet! So far I love it, but this is my ideal smartwatch. I have no use for "sound" on the watch itself, I don't want to do voice memos, I just want my notifications to display (and the Toq app works exactly the way I want it to!), see my calendar, see who's calling.

In comparison, the Pebble is good but the low-res screen is kind of boring, I like the touch screen conceptually of the Sony Smartwatch but it was just too finicky (and the app didn't show EAS email unless you had a Sony phone, and you had to load tons of "apps" to get what you want), I love my Martians but it takes too long to see notifications scroll across the screen (but I'll keep using those because I like analog watches).

Still need to live with the Toq for things like music control, see what other apps show up, etc., but so far I'm really happy with it (unlike the I'm Watch, which was hate at first wear).

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Here it is on. It's showing the actual time and weather (it's cold here in Chicago :) ). I need to move the pin in one more notch, I played it safe and went one "bigger" than I thought since you can't "un-cut" the strap.

One funny thing: I was having trouble getting the light and the lock functions to work (tapping the strap). The Pebble and Martian do their tap functions via the accelerometer, so you kinda "thump" the watch to get it to recognize the tap. The Toq just needs a "touch" on the strap, it has an actual touch sensor in each strap, so thumping it is unnecessary (and doesn't always lead to the desired effect).

Also you don't "scroll" left and right on the silver bar, you do it just below. I thought that bar was to show you where, I guess its more of a visual "separator". Once you figure that out, scrolling between screens (with the watch "locked") works 100% of the time.

jttoq1Medium.jpg

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Phil, any idea why the watch faces keep changing color? I like the simple analog face with the date, but it randomly changes between a black face and a white face (I want white!). All the screens seem to be rotating through colors randomly. Just showing off the Mirasol tech?