Update 6.11.748 Kills Root

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I got an update on my Razr tonight and kept telling it to go away because I know VZW has been pushing out upgrades that deny Root access. Well I went and read about the update and a few rooted users commented that it did not effect them. They were wrong. I no longer have Root access. I can not use Titanium or any other of my rooted apps. I did a full back up beforehand but does anyone know a work around?

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, after rooting it again it looks like I am up and running. Just ran Titanium and Ad Free and both were approved and SuperUser is not being blocked anymore.

I did use a different method than before to Root this time.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/11/how-to-root-the-motorola-droid-razr/

Was easier as I did not need to get a lot of big files etc.

Now I can see if the update fixed the issues it was supposed to. Camera, 4G and 3G connections as well as others.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes the update does kill Root but I was able to get it back with one click using OTA Rootkeeper from the Market. My update procedure was as follows.
1. Backup apps using Titanium Backup and Defrost Bloat
2. Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.
3. Unroot using OTA Rootkeeper
4. Install Update
5. Restore Root with OTA Rootkeeper
6.Enjoy an OTA and still have Root

Your results may vary but it worked for me flawlessly. Beacuse i know there are a few Root methods its worth noting that I did use the DoomLord 1Click Root to originally gain Root.

Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: RazrJac

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Excellent info!

I got the OTA update this morning and it failed during install -- I'm theorizing it's because I'm rooted (though I thought I read others got it anyway).

If I follow this procedure (and I know you can't guarantee anything), does anyone know how to re-download or re-start the OTA Update so it can "try again"?

Thanks,
AJ

anon(558804)

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings/About Phone (at the bottom) and tap Check for updates.

Mine got 1/3 way thru installing the update and failed, and keeps failing.

Can someone explain "recovery" to me? I tried to back up the ROM after I used Titanium Backup to backup the apps, but the program first wanted ROM Manager installed (which I did) and then when I tried to backup the ROM it asked me if I really wanted to reboot into Recovery. I did so and it immediately failed. Apparently there is no "custom recovery " installed, and none is available for the RAZR. So I'm stuck right now.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine got 1/3 way thru installing the update and failed, and keeps failing.

That's exactly what mine's doing. Tried the unroot/unfreeze steps, but my RAZR apparently no-likie.

I've tried three different times now. (And why doesn't it know it already downloaded the update instead of having to re-download it every time I try?)

I just realized I uninstalled (not just Froze) a few apps from the default ROM (Let's Golf trialware, Social Location, VideoSurf, and QuickOffice - got the Pro version). I wonder if that's the problem?

@Larrygeary: Did you uninstall (as opposed to freezing) any of the default apps with Ti Backup?

Last edited:

anon(558804)

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I think I uninstalled the Golf app. Maybe I have a backup. [Nope. No backup.]

I just tried using Market Doctor in Titanium Backup to restore missing market links to everything, but no luck.

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I think I uninstalled the Golf app. Maybe I have a backup.

OK, I hate the idea that I would have to do this, but I'm going to try and restore most of what I un-installed. (I'm going to avoid re-installing QuickOffice, since I installed the Pro version and didn't want both on the phone.)

I'll check-back in a bit with an update...

Titanium could not re-install "Social Location"...which is strange, as that's really its function (backup/restore). I'm trying with everything else "Defrosted" and "Re-Installed" (except also QuickOffice, as noted above)...

FWIW: Social Location I remember to be a huge drain on my battery and I use it for absolutely nothing, and I think it might have still been running even when "frozen" so I uninstalled it and that cleared-up that problem...but could be causing this one.

Last edited:

anon(558804)

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes the visible app is started by a service. If you don't find and freeze the service, the app may keep reappearing even if frozen. (Whatever "freezing" does.)

I deliberately kept all the apps on the system (freezing the ones I don't want) awaiting their OTA of ICS sometime in 2012. Then I'd delete the new bloat. But except for the golf app, everything is here, and the update fails.

One thing I do have is GO Launcher EX. I tried exiting it but it never goes away. I wonder if that's a factor. It shouldn't be, because the phone isn't booting to that level, I think.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I found something in a log saying that it can't find /system/app/QuickOffice.odex Which is, of course, something I uninstalled. But Ti Backup is having trouble putting that back now as well. I can't believe that's the case.

lunarweblink

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
went threw with the update i lost the root what was interesting is i did not loose the tether hack when i changed the value before with the sqlite editor it carried over with the update so i was still able to use the tether option just reloaded DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su and all was good :)

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I found something in a log saying that it can't find /system/app/QuickOffice.odex Which is, of course, something I uninstalled. But Ti Backup is having trouble putting that back now as well. I can't believe that's the case.

You should never uninstall bloat. You should use titanium to freeze it or root explorer to rename it from .apk to .bak That is the best thing to do. Your going to need a system dump and get all of the apps that you uninstalled back and put into the right locations with the correct permissions.

Good Luck

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I assumed titanium could actually restore something it says it has backed up.

Know where I can find said "system dump"? I see Cory did one for the bionic, but I think it's just different enough to matter. For example that dump doesn't have a qp.odex, only an apk. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk