Root after 6.12.173

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased my Razr Maxx and it was updated to vers. 6.12.173 before I could root it. How would I root it now? I see all kind of postings about rerooting after the OTA update, but not how to root for the first time after the update. Thanks

darkSSide

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So my RAZR has downloaded the update but I haven't installed it yet. Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I install update then root or root then update?

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
So my RAZR has downloaded the update but I haven't installed it yet. Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I install update then root or root then update?

Go for a belt and suspenders approach. Root the phone now, then install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. Use it to protect su, then apply the update.

Once the update is applied, RootKeeper should allow you to restore root access. If not, you can still try the Rosenberg exploit.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Tutorial? I didn't use one myself, and I never touched an Android phone before Thursday last week.

I think there are some videos on YouTube that might get you started. It's actually pretty simple. Some reading required, but no math :)

Last edited:

QUIK_LS1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Razr Maxx (after coming from a rooted ThunderBolt) and I love the battery life. Everything is setup on my new device and I've been checking into the Dan Rosenberg root method which sounds like the only way to go. I've updated to the latest OTA software but wonder what exactly is gonna happen when/if I root this new gal. Will it perform a complete data wipe or factory reset? I want root access to be able to tether, take screenshots, remove bloatware, etc. I'm sure down the road I'll be interested in flashing new ROMs/kernels like I did on my old 'Bolt but right now I'm pretty pleased with the device (other than the aforementioned root only capabilities). I basically don't want anything to change, just want root access.

Thanks in advance, all.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I rooted mine after applying the 6.12.173 update using Rosenberg's exploit and everything remained intact. The root process installed the Superuser app, which is the only obvious change. Any applications that required root (Light Flow, NoBloat, SQLite Editor, WidgetLocker, etc.) were able to do what they were designed to. Absolutely no issues, incompatibilities, or lost data . . . and a lot of gained capabilities.

Reactions: QUIK_LS1

cardidark09

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I used the ota root keeper app. If u already did the ota downgrade to the previous ota toot it install thd ota roog keeper app do a back up from it than do the update open the ota root keeper to restore root

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok I downloaded the .zip file for the Droid 4 from Rosenberg. Now what? I have Odin installed on my computer which order do I load everything. I just don't want to brick my brand new Maxx.

Cuda

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone? Beuller? This bloatware is killing me!

Just need to know what order to load everything. I've got ODIN up and running and got the moto usb drivers loaded on my computer. Help!

Cuda