New to rooting, some questions

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Had some rooting questions, but I felt that some of my questions were specific enough to the razr to warrant a post in this subforum. Due to hopes of conserving some battery life, turning into my phone into a hot spot (doesn't necessarily need to be rooted I believe), and I guess anything else I run into I've been looking into finally rooting my razr.

I don't find most technology related things difficult, so I'm not against using a more difficult solution to root the phone if it accomplishes anything different. However from what I understand about unix, gaining access of the root user is getting access to the root user. There's nothing else terribly complicated about it. If someone could just explain the different ways to root, and why one would choose one method over another it would be much appreciated.

Secondly, I was curious if there were other Kernel's available for the razr that would be 'better' than the stock. I'm also curious where people find OS's to update their phone with once rooted, and if updating the OS is necessarily a good idea.

And finally, I'm just curious of some of the more interesting things I can do once the phone is rooted. I had planned on grabbing titanium pro and set cpu once rooted to help (as mentioned) with conserving battery life. I had read that there are also applications that let you take screenshots once rooted, which could be a cute feature (although I don't know the names of said applications). I'm just curious what some more interesting possibilities open up once a phone is rooted.

Thanks!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
All forums of rooting is the same in general. The two I know most about is motofail and doomlord once touch root scripts. I have used motofail first time around with 0 problems. The question cane up about unrooting the phone. Well I searched and found a script that unroots your device. There was a disclaimer not to use it if you didn't use doomlords root script due to possible bricking the device. Well I took it upon my self to try it out even tho I rooted via motofail script. Everything worked fine. Then I tried rooting with doomlords script and was having problems with it. I tried it 2-3 times with no luck. Opened up motofail and first time like a charm I was rooted up and going in no time. I have also verified that the unroots works by unrooting my device again to test the stability of the script and using motofail. Once again no problems.

As far as hotspot there are ways around to using the stock hotspot app to work or apps off the market to use.

With the locked boot loaders rom'ing and such is pretty limited compared to like HTC phones. That I know of there is stock, leaked official ICS update, Eclipses, and another I can't recall the name of at this time. Look into bootstrap or safe strap if interested in flash roms.

Kernels I'm not 100% sure about on the RAZR since it has a locked bootloader. When I was stock rooted with bloat ware deleted I would go 15+ hours with 4g on with moderate use through the work day. I'm on Eclipses now and have gotten 1d and some odd hours but of course some of the time was idle time while I slept.

Screenshots can be very handy once you have it at your disposal. I use it atleadt probably once a day if not more. I bought "screenshot it" when I had my OG Evo 4g and have used it since then. It is by far my favorite. They are a few free ones but are more annoying to use. Some custom roms like Eclipses has it built in. Just hold the power key and there below all the power option is a screen shot button. Used it once and it has good quality but yet annoying to have to hold the power button then select to take a screen shot. All I have to do is a 2 second hold on my search hardware key and boom, done.

Sent from my Eclipsed Droid RAZR via Tapatalk II

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would wait a little longer for official ICS, prob 7-10 days to be released. Once then you can root and get some pretty great roms (bloat free) built by the dev's thus leading to better battery life. As far as hotspot u can try foxfi, great app no root required.

via Razr MAXX

Reactions: bradenfontaine

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon