System Update failing for Rooted RAZR

Agpe17

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any luck (rooted)? I can un-root easily, but I'm thinking just wait it out?

I haven't had any issues of anyone needing a bug fix, so I think I'm ok. Just curious of others' results!

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you physically delete VZw supplied apps? that may be the reason for the failure. Better off just freezing them with Ti, but leaving them in place.

brook196

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ditto here. i rooted mine and it keeps crashing. i removed VZ apps but just the crap and bloatware that i dont need (car dock, games, etc) nothing that i think would prevent any system installs?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the geniuses at VZW go and basically check through all the apps that were on the original ROM and if they're missing it fails to install. Doesn't matter how "crappy" you think the app is/was, if it's missing, VZW fails the pre-install checks and you're hosed.

I'm working through this myself, because I took a backup of QuickOffice before removing it (I installed QO Pro), but Ti Backup is not able to restore it for some reason.

brook196

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
well crud.... ; )

guess i can always unroot, do the install and then re-root?

and a boo hiss for those geniuses over at VZW :p

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
If you "rooted", but didn't uninstall anything, you should be OK. The trouble starts if you remove some of the bloatware after you root.

brook196

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah, i took off the VZW games, car dock, etc.....rooted like 2 days ago...if only i had been patient and waited....apparently a virtue i need to learn

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, if I understand your situation correctly, un-rooting isn't going to help you at this point. You need to replace the files you removed, and unless you know the exact names of the files on the filesystem (the app names will help you identify them, but they're not the same), it's an arduous process of trial and error. I'm going through it right now.

If you're not really confident with linux-esque stuff, reading and understanding log files, etc., my recommendation would be to use something (like Ti Backup Pro -- which is giving me hassles with two system apps, but generally does a good job of backup/restore with purchased/market apps) to backup all your apps & data that you might have customized, etc., then flash back to stock (there's some keypresses to do that, I don't remember them offhand), get the update, re-root, and re-install all your apps.

You'll need a few hours to do all that probably, but it CAN be done.

tdubrpdx

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper will allow you to temporarily disable your root before installing the update and then turn it back on after installing. You can find it on the android market

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
It's also failing for me but I don't remember all the vzw crapware I removed. My razr is working fine so I might just wait for a prerooted version, CM9, or an fxz to leak.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
factory reset and then install update then reroot....good thing its a slow day here at work ;)

Yeah, then re-do all your prefs, settings, etc. And reload all your apps. As you said, if it's a slow day it's a tedious process, but it'll get you there. Good Luck.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
......reset to factory defaults and still crashing.....suggestions?

You are going to have to find, and reinstall all the apps you deleted. In the future it is much better to just freeze the app with titanium. Doesnt free up the memeory, but stops them from running, and removes them from the app drawer.

brook196

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
factory reset should bring back all apps that come preloaded with the phone? i mean, if i brick it and i need to go back to out of the box, thats the point of the factory reset

trying a few other tricks. all the apps that came with the phone were back on after the reset, so still not sure as to why it keeps crashing

tried 3 more factory resets, no luck. out of ideas at this point. suggestions?

Last edited:

islandmon3

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
same issue. did factor reset and OTA update still fails while installing :-\
i'm on the phone with a vzw tech, and he's calling motorola to see if they have any fix

brook196

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i called vzw, zip. have another guy in the office that has same phone, installed his yesterday, no issues. vzw is sending me a new phone :'(

will be here monday maybe