Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the one and only M
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root after 6.12.173

I just purchased my Razr Maxx and it was updated to vers. 6.12.173 before I could root it. How would I root it now? I see all kind of postings about rerooting after the OTA update, but not how to root for the first time after the update. Thanks

Default Re: Root after 6.12.173

I didn't root mine until after the OTA update was applied, and I used Mr. Rosenberg's exploit:

Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
    Thanked by:

So my RAZR has downloaded the update but I haven't installed it yet. Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I install update then root or root then update?

Quote Originally Posted by darkSSide View Post
    So my RAZR has downloaded the update but I haven't installed it yet. Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I install update then root or root then update?
    Go for a belt and suspenders approach. Root the phone now, then install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. Use it to protect su, then apply the update.

Once the update is applied, RootKeeper should allow you to restore root access. If not, you can still try the Rosenberg exploit.

So where is a tutorial on all this? I've seen the Dan Rosenberg one.

Tutorial? I didn't use one myself, and I never touched an Android phone before Thursday last week.

I think there are some videos on YouTube that might get you started. It's actually pretty simple. Some reading required, but no math
    Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 02-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

Quote Originally Posted by darkSSide View Post
    So where is a tutorial on all this? I've seen the Dan Rosenberg one.
    I just used Rosenberg's exploit last night to root .173. It's pretty easy. Just make sure you have USB debugging enabled under settings and have USB mode set to charge only.
    jcarlosfox likes this.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just got my Razr Maxx (after coming from a rooted ThunderBolt) and I love the battery life. Everything is setup on my new device and I've been checking into the Dan Rosenberg root method which sounds like the only way to go. I've updated to the latest OTA software but wonder what exactly is gonna happen when/if I root this new gal. Will it perform a complete data wipe or factory reset? I want root access to be able to tether, take screenshots, remove bloatware, etc. I'm sure down the road I'll be interested in flashing new ROMs/kernels like I did on my old 'Bolt but right now I'm pretty pleased with the device (other than the aforementioned root only capabilities). I basically don't want anything to change, just want root access.

Thanks in advance, all.

I rooted mine after applying the 6.12.173 update using Rosenberg's exploit and everything remained intact. The root process installed the Superuser app, which is the only obvious change. Any applications that required root (Light Flow, NoBloat, SQLite Editor, WidgetLocker, etc.) were able to do what they were designed to. Absolutely no issues, incompatibilities, or lost data . . . and a lot of gained capabilities.
    Thanked by:

I used the ota root keeper app. If u already did the ota downgrade to the previous ota toot it install thd ota roog keeper app do a back up from it than do the update open the ota root keeper to restore root

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ok I downloaded the .zip file for the Droid 4 from Rosenberg. Now what? I have Odin installed on my computer which order do I load everything. I just don't want to brick my brand new Maxx.

Cuda

Anyone? Beuller? This bloatware is killing me!

Just need to know what order to load everything. I've got ODIN up and running and got the moto usb drivers loaded on my computer. Help!

Cuda

Thanks for all the help guys. *sarcasm off*

Would it have killed someone to tell me to click on "run".

For all you other noobs out there. I'm here for ya. Here's a youtube vid on how to do it.

Cuda

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda52774 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. *sarcasm off*

Would it have killed someone to tell me to click on "run".

For all you other noobs out there. I'm here for ya. Here's a youtube vid on how to do it.

Cuda
    Thanks for the link.
    What method will be used for unroot?

ROM
    Arctic Hd

There was already a thread above this, before this one got bumped, that already showed this video and method. I have a feeling you didn't do much searching and was just waiting for someone to find it for you. Not being negative but first rules of forums is search before you ask.

How to root razr. Youtube vid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk