civonne19

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how does rooting work && what it does to the phone??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ditto, I'm reading all this stuff and have no idea what "rooting" is or does. I do know I'm having issues with my Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch and wonder if "rooting" will relieve the problems.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
1) Rooting will Void your warranty.

2) Rooting does not in itself fix issues. You can flash a different ROM (operating system), which might not have specific problems you might have with your device, but might also have other problems. Flashing a different ROM is a procedure of replacing the operating system with a different operating system... this does come with it's own set of risks, but if done correctly is fairly easy with practice... and you can and SHOULD backup your current ROM so you can go back to a version of Verizon's approved operating system.

3) The easiest way to think about rooting is to think that it unlocks your phone (which not technically correct, but it's a way of thinking about it) and allows you remove files and load others... which if you don't know what you are doing could cause many, many problems, including bricking your phone. In most cases you can fix your device, but not with out some very good help from people that really know what they are doing.

A custom ROM is the operating system made for that specific device that was created and tested by a group of programs... each by different people or groups of people. Some are very good and a lot of hard work is put into these ROMs. They are usually based on a version of an officially released ROM for that device... to include their (provider's, which might be Verizon's) Radio files to allow them to get data and talk to the cell towers, wifi devices, but all have custom code to make them work differently.

Again, it will void your warranty... and if you root your device and attempt to return in under the warranty then you could pay full price for a replacement.

Reactions: civonne19

bilbrazrguy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how does rooting work && what it does to the phone??

Rooting the device is essentially, allowing you access to the root of your SD and opertating system. Roms are a different animal all together, but when rooted, you can now get access to your cpu and over/under clock it for increased prformance, or extended battery life. you can also add remove programs otherwise untouchable without root access. Or download apps that freeze, or lock certain apps, programs, or phone procedures, so that the phone can operate much faster and not have a million things going on at any given second. Custom roms do alot of this for you, but rooting and installing roms are two different procedures, and installing a rom onto certain software versions can cause problems.
The best thing to do would be, find your system version, software versiom, llok for a rooting process that works for that version, read the instructions over a few times and get yourself fimiliar with the process. there are also videos. I rooted my first phone about 6 months ago. Slod it on ebay, got a razr, rooted it the first day i got it. Never even ran stock. So dont be intimidated, just follow instructions and take it slow the first time. Nothing compares to a phone with root access. Some family members have the same phone, and mine is lightyears ahead in speed, processing, downloading, battery life, free wifi tether, and now ive been asked to root all of theres. good luck, and have fun.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Is does 1 thing only.... gives you superuser (admin) access to the internals of the phones software. That's it. All the fancy smancy stuff comes from rooted apps... like iPhone emoji keyboard and icons displays... ad in app removals.... freezing (or deleting--not recomemded) bloatware... custom ROMs (operating systems and ui's)....

If you have no idea what root is or does, then you need to research and read and re-read. Its how we all learned. Plus, if you are a non-techie person, then personally I suggest never rooting.... or make sure you know 10000000000% what you are doing before messing with internal software..

It will void warranty... cause.. well... lmfao... your messing with internal software. lmao just like a car... buy a 2013 Honda civic but wanna add nitro to the engine.... car warranty voided! You messed with the internals.lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not a big deal, but do your homework. Read up before you attempt. There are a ton of people to help you. Once you know what your doing you will wonder why you never tried it before.
That being said,i prefer just to stick with my stock phone. Running a custom ROM is essentially running a "skinned" version of Android built by someone other than manufacturer. Sometimes really kewl, but not without its own drawbacks.
Don't be scared, just do a little research first, then it's a rather simple process.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Omg voids your warranty... Lol all you gotta do is return back to stock images etc. Took me 15 minutes to put the phone back to original state with the step by step instructions on these forums

civonne19

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow this a lot information! Thank you guys I will consider rooting if I find someone who has already done it. But i really do want to get rid of apps that just waste my memory && i never use them.

bryann22

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow this a lot information! Thank you guys I will consider rooting if I find someone who has already done it. But i really do want to get rid of apps that just waste my memory && i never use them.

If your on ICS you can disable Verizon apps by just going to app information. I NEVER delete bloatware....might mess up the phone

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
1) Rooting will Void your warranty.

No, not exactly. It doesn't "void your warranty". It does allow Motorola not to fix or replace it if you damage it by rooting. Well, you ask, isn't that voiding your warranty?

Not exactly. If something else goes wrong with your phone unrelated to tampering with the bootloader, ROM, etc, they still have to fix or replace it if they can't show that rooting had anything to do with it. But, as others have pointed out, it's almost impossible to brick your phone rooting it anyway. Here's a good explanation:

To Clear Up Any Misconceptions Users May Have About Rooting And Warranties - DroidRzr.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers