No S-off

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else worried that we'll never get S-off? I am not a dev just the guy who buys them a beer or a soda, so I can't make any demands but im getting nervous.

Last edited:

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I remember when the Incredible was considered "unrootable." Now, it has like a gazillion roms.
Permanent root will be achieved. I'm very confident in this.

gall0wz

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
permanent root has already been achieved they just aren't releasing it because without S-OFF permanent root is dangerous. If you break certain things, there is no way to recover from it.

That being said, S-off will happen when it happens. There have been other HTC phones that have taken at least this long or longer to get S-Off.

Because of the economy, many devs didn't have phones right on release. They had to wait for the money to buy them or for them to be donated. Some didn't have a rezound in their hands until the end of november. So you're looking at MAYBE 1 month of full spectrum developing going on here.

So right now, you can at least enjoy a temp root/bloat free solution.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
it'll happen. When? Nobody knows. I'm not too sure who's working on it. I'll tell you one thing, the manufacturers aren't making it any easier as time goes on.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. It's pretty clear, a vast majority of OEMs are onboard, they don't have notable concerns about it. They've all, pretty much, gone on the record w/ their stances on the issue in recent times. So don't place blame on those peeps, the carriers foot the blame almost exclusively. HtcDevs just released 9 of them last week for their newest batch of releases and there's early custom ICS roms up and running on some of them already. The only ones MIA were per Verizons' request. Change the carrier stance and we can have android utopia instead of fragmented offshoot communities. That's proving to be just as tough a task as hacking an encrypted bootloader.

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just hope Verizon didn't lock it down too badly. I would hate to have a Droid X situation on this thing. I loved ICS on the Nexus and would've kept it if it was just a bit smaller. IMO the rezound is the perfect size.

Not enough is said about the Rezound being far easier to handle than the Thurnderbolt due to the aspect ratio of the screen. I love this phone but don't love Sense anymore. I liked Sense back when 2.2 was stock Android...

Unrelated, my battery life has been awful. I just switched from High Performance mode to Normal (didn't know it existed til just now) it turned off always on data- not sure if that's all it does but I need my always on data so I'll have to see if I keep it in this mode.

gall0wz

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I just hope Verizon didn't lock it down too badly. I would hate to have a Droid X situation on this thing. I loved ICS on the Nexus and would've kept it if it was just a bit smaller. IMO the rezound is the perfect size.

Not enough is said about the Rezound being far easier to handle than the Thurnderbolt due to the aspect ratio of the screen. I love this phone but don't love Sense anymore. I liked Sense back when 2.2 was stock Android...

Unrelated, my battery life has been awful. I just switched from High Performance mode to Normal (didn't know it existed til just now) it turned off always on data- not sure if that's all it does but I need my always on data so I'll have to see if I keep it in this mode.

High Performance = 4G/3G/2G and whatever brightness you set you screen to
Normal = 3G/2G + Automatic Data Radio timeout when phone sleeps and whatever brightness you set your screen to
Economoy = Voice Only and whatever brightness you set your screen to

All that aside this phone gets great battery life compared to all the other current release phones. I get 1.75 days on my extended battery and I'm one of those always tapping at the phone screen types.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's quite the opposite. It's pretty clear, a vast majority of OEMs are onboard, they don't have notable concerns about it. They've all, pretty much, gone on the record w/ their stances on the issue in recent times. So don't place blame on those peeps, the carriers foot the blame almost exclusively. HtcDevs just released 9 of them last week for their newest batch of releases and there's early custom ICS roms up and running on some of them already. The only ones MIA were per Verizons' request. Change the carrier stance and we can have android utopia instead of fragmented offshoot communities. That's proving to be just as tough a task as hacking an encrypted bootloader.

What I'm saying is that the manufacturers aren't making it easy per Verizon's request.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
What I'm saying is that the manufacturers aren't making it easy per Verizon's request.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

They aren't/can't if they want their phone sold on Verizon's network. Look at the HTC dev tool. There isn't a single Verizon phone supported by it. Verizon is afraid that people with unlocked phones are going to sink their chance of making more money for services like tether/hotspot and by extension the Verizon video/audio services.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
It's not S-Off but HTC Dev is now allowing the Rezound to use the unlocker at htcdev.com. Hurry before they change their minds.

Whoa holy crap! I headed straight to XDA to see what the buzz was about. You're right.
So...we should be able to flash roms now, correct?

I'm about to jump on this, but the factory reset has me feeling like it's not worth it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Whoa holy crap! I headed straight to XDA to see what the buzz was about. You're right.
So...we should be able to flash roms now, correct?

I'm about to jump on this, but the factory reset has me feeling like it's not worth it.

I'm digging permanent root above all else. And you can always backup/restore if you have titanium backup. I don't mind a little setback for a large step forward.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, going through the process right now... though my SDK needs a LOT of updating as the last time I used it was prior to the 1-click root options for the Droid X...heh

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried it. Fried BT as expected. Rebooted and BT is back. Root is still there. This agent is happy.

I assume this is you over on XDA, same alias. You used zerg rush to get root, then rebooted and root stuck correct? I'm a constant BT user, stream from the Rezound to my car stereo, and BT is necessary lol

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I assume this is you over on XDA, same alias. You used zerg rush to get root, then rebooted and root stuck correct? I'm a constant BT user, stream from the Rezound to my car stereo, and BT is necessary lol

Yes that's me.. I forgot to turn on BT, since unlocking factory resets and I usually leave it on. I used zergrush to root and I couldn't start BT. Rebooted, started BT. All good.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this on Droid-life.com:
HTC Rezound owners, get your butts over to HTCDev.com immediately before this gets shut down.

According to a variety of forums, the Rezound’s bootloader can be unlocked using the tools provided at HTCDev. You are left with S-ON afterwards, but to my knowledge, that’s the way all HTC unlocked phones are left after using these tools.

It should be noted that you won’t find the Rezound listed as a compatible device, but if you follow all of the instructions laid out, your phone will indeed get the unlock treatment

Don't know if this is old news or not...

Here's my noob question for rooting and what not. What is S- off or S- on anyway?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm isn't this a PITA... trying to sign into my gmail account on the phone now and it keeps telling me my username and password don't match.

They do. I've signed into my gmail account on my computer using the exact same password twice to verify...

EDIT: I can sign in via the phone's browser, but not via "add account"

EDIT2: Problem solved. Turned off 2-step verification.

Last edited: