Unlocked Bootloader (Get it while it's hot!)

B

budmonster

I keep hearing that if you use HTCdev to unlock your phone it sends your number or whatever its called to VZW. Anyone hearing this? So they know you have rooted.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing that if you use HTCdev to unlock your phone it sends your number or whatever its called to VZW. Anyone hearing this? So they know you have rooted.

If that were the case I believe it would be borderline class-action lawsuit. I don't recall reading anywhere that states "we're notifying VZW that you unlocked your boot loader".

As well, someone can unlock their boot loader and then never root the phone if they wanted to.

B

budmonster

If that were the case I believe it would be borderline class-action lawsuit. I don't recall reading anywhere that states "we're notifying VZW that you unlocked your boot loader".

As well, someone can unlock their boot loader and then never root the phone if they wanted to.

from xda:

- any truth to this? htcdev copies your phone info then forwards it to verizon? so there is no way to unroot and get around the warranty?
This is true. It is likely they may honor your warranty even if you unlock. HTC is typically good about not caring. They probably won't provide any software support though. But this is at your own risk. If your warranty is voided, it is your choice.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Look I've been reading and reading these posts, and frankly they are all over the place. To me. I just want to get rid of the bloat, or at least put it in a very deep freeze where I don't have to look at it or have it eat away at my ram. I've tried unsuccessfully about five times now to just use the temp root everyone was talking about before the bootloader lock broke. I can't figure out what I'm doing or not doing. When I run the temp root .bat files I never see anything change. I don't see anyway to disable anything, and the one temp root thing I found that sounded like it was going to automatically disable the stuff for me didn't seem to do anything. I considered doing the bootloader unlock, but the disclaimer is very off putting. At the beginning of this thread posters were saying no you can't go back, then a few posts ago someone said you could. I don't want to root or really change anything, I just want to get rid of the annoyance of the stuff I'm being force fed. And while I am slightly concerned about my warranty I don't see much harm in removing apps that I'm not using as long as I don't change the OS. Am I safe in that assumption? Can anyone point me in a good direction with these simple goals in mind?

Thanks

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Look I've been reading and reading these posts, and frankly they are all over the place. To me. I just want to get rid of the bloat, or at least put it in a very deep freeze where I don't have to look at it or have it eat away at my ram. I've tried unsuccessfully about five times now to just use the temp root everyone was talking about before the bootloader lock broke. I can't figure out what I'm doing or not doing. When I run the temp root .bat files I never see anything change. I don't see anyway to disable anything, and the one temp root thing I found that sounded like it was going to automatically disable the stuff for me didn't seem to do anything. I considered doing the bootloader unlock, but the disclaimer is very off putting. At the beginning of this thread posters were saying no you can't go back, then a few posts ago someone said you could. I don't want to root or really change anything, I just want to get rid of the annoyance of the stuff I'm being force fed. And while I am slightly concerned about my warranty I don't see much harm in removing apps that I'm not using as long as I don't change the OS. Am I safe in that assumption? Can anyone point me in a good direction with these simple goals in mind?

Thanks

Ok, you sound like the type that doesn't need to unlock/root. Check out the CleanTool thread and if it's not working for you, post your output over there and I'll be glad to work with you.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
from xda:

- any truth to this? htcdev copies your phone info then forwards it to verizon? so there is no way to unroot and get around the warranty?
This is true. It is likely they may honor your warranty even if you unlock. HTC is typically good about not caring. They probably won't provide any software support though. But this is at your own risk. If your warranty is voided, it is your choice.

Can we all stop with the HTC forwards blah blah to Verizon. HTC has NO proof that you actually unlocked your phone..they can only tell that you applied for an unlock key(Yes it's a safe assumption one leads to the other). Your phone is in Hboot when you unlock and not capable of sending anything. HTC can at the worst tell Verizon that you applied for a key but to what point? Verizon provides warranty service based on their own structure, just as HTC does. This is just like ripping the tag off a pillow.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
lol I love that pillow/mattress tag taboo. Remember, those things say "only to be removed by the consumer". Rip it off a random pillow in the store = illegal. Rip it off once you get it home = legal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084