Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Unlocked Bootloader (Get it while it's hot!)

I just unlocked my bootloader via HTCDev. Holy crap I'm excited. Just wanted to both alert everyone to this new development, and to brag my *** off.

*middle finger* @ Verizon!
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Default Re: Unlocked Bootloader (Get it while it's hot!)

lol look at the S-off thread in this section. Mine is unlocked, and I feel like I'm the first casualty. I can no longer add my google account after the factory reset. Grrrrrr.

I keep getting a "username and password do not match" error, despite the fact that I can use the phones broswer to log in to gmail.com with the exact same credentials.

EDIT: Problem solved. Turned off 2-step verification.
    Last edited by xxfallacyxx; 12-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I seriously f'ed up and lost almost all of my videos and pictures during the process. I didn't realize they were saved to the internal SD card. This would be ok, but most of them were of my daughter on Christmas

On a side note, does anyone have a good way to remove bloat from the Rezound? I'm experienced in disabling it, but now I'd like to test my new powers and delete it permanently.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

titanium backup should work. There were people listing off apps on the xda thread, but I don't recall what they all were.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    I seriously f'ed up and lost almost all of my videos and pictures during the process. I didn't realize they were saved to the internal SD card. This would be ok, but most of them were of my daughter on Christmas

On a side note, does anyone have a good way to remove bloat from the Rezound? I'm experienced in disabling it, but now I'd like to test my new powers and delete it permanently.
    oh no! How do I know which SD card my pics and videos are saved to?
    Blackberry 8320? OLD > blackberry 8703e > blackberry curve > blackberry Storm 2 > Samsung Fascinate>Droid Charge
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Use the SD and Data storage menu option to migrate everything to the "external" SD card. Then, when you pull the back cover to do a battery pull remove the SD card. That should make everything safe.

yeah, I saw this, but am hesitant because it is a one way street, so if you send it back to Verizon for warranty, then they will know that it is rooted, and HTC doesn't officially support the root, although it does work.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

That is certainly a legitimate concern.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post

If you used the CleanTool, you can see what packages you had disabled. So what you can do is use my list(XDA CleanTool Forum) to find out the apk list. What I did was move all the bloat packages to an archive directory so I can test the impact. In a few days I'll delete that archive directory and call it a wrap. You can use ADB if you feel comfortable with command line, astro, or anything that can see below /sdcard.

You will have to mount the system partition as read-write:
    in ADB) adb shell busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    yeah, I saw this, but am hesitant because it is a one way street, so if you send it back to Verizon for warranty, then they will know that it is rooted, and HTC doesn't officially support the root, although it does work.
    I've returned a ton of phones to verizon rooted/rom'd as long as you do it over the phone, they'll never know the difference. If this is too big of a concern, then don't do it. Hopefully that didn't come off offensively because it wasn't meant to. More or less just a warning ..
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,341 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I'm interested in unlocking my bootloader, but the disclaimers are pretty severe. How safe is this process! And in step 1 do I download the sdk, java, and HTC sync to my pc!?

Sent from my HTC. Rezound using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

I am an extreme noob when it comes to Android. I will be getting my Rezound delivered tomorrow.

I understand that you have to root the phone to back it up? And if so, when you back it up you are backing up a rooted version right? As in if you had to go into recovery, would you come out still rooted?

What happens if you root your phone and then do a factory reset, if that is possible?
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

@buck: Yes they go to your PC.

Process went smoothly for me. Was much much easier than my first time rooting lol (IIRC I did the 30 step ADB method to root my DX prior to all the 1-click methods)

Pay attention to what you're doing, read and comprehend the directions, and double check before you commit an action and you should be fine.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I get this error
    Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
    Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won\'t work

Did you copy just the numbers?

Or did you copy the whole text starting with <<<< and ending with >>>>?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

guess its come to this....unlock or not unlock

Its times like this i really miss my palm pre plus where things such as this were just plain easy and encouraged

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I'm probably more of a noob than most, so... does this mean the Rezound is rooted? And will stay rooted?

Quote Originally Posted by jaegur View Post
    I'm probably more of a noob than most, so... does this mean the Rezound is rooted? And will stay rooted?
    yes

noob here. does this mean i can use set cpu to undervolt my chip and start saving some battery life up in here!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

It was a breeze to unlock for me. You need to make sure and do a few things that wernt to clear to me
    After you select fastboot on your phone you need to hit power button to run fastboot.
    Also the token needs to have the <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
    and <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
    not just the numbers.
    And save this on your computer it is phone specific and can be used later also.
    Here is a link to all you should need including the one click root tool.

I have used this also works great.
    Sent From the dark side of the moon.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Also my market is fine and i didnt loose anything on my sd card. I didnt know that was an issue. Damn I got lucky.
    And yes you will be able to undervolt with root. I already froze about 20 apps and will uninstall them when I know my phone dosnt need them.
    Now we just need a CWM and Soff and well be set.
    Sent From the dark side of the moon.
    budmonster

Before I send my GNEX back LOL, this is the same thing as s-off pretty much, correct? Same capabilities, etc.? I can't wait to ship my GNEX back. This was the only reason why I wasnt swapping it yet and now I have no excuses.

ROM
    standard

I am on my tab what the link for the root can someone link me

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Man, managed to get the bootloader code finally... now I just can't decide if I want to do this or not >>

If I unlock the bootloader I can then root, yeah? And then I get free wifi for my iPad, right?

What happens when ICS comes out? Do we need to re-root or something? I also heard something about not deleting VZs bloatware because of future updates that will check for certain applications, or some .
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A few general answers to a few general questions on here:

- On the HTCDev site, there are instructions for re-locking the bootloader. Unlocking is reversible. If you have no immediate plans on returning the Rezound, go ahead and unlock it. Enjoy the freedom. As MrSmith said, if you need to return it and are worried about it being unlocked, just do it by phone. Usually they just receive it, turn it on, and factory reset it once they get their hands on it. No harm, no foul.

- No, you cannot undervolt it just yet. Because S-On is still there, we're unable to explore kernels (for now) because the partition where this is stored requires a security key (General explanation. Android vets, feel free to correct/go in-depth)

- I deleted all bloatware. No, I didn't back it up. Yes, my phone runs great (375 MB free RAM with Sense anyone?) If you prefer ICS via the future OTA update, you can backup the bloatware and simply re-install it in order to get the update. Your best bet for pure ICS is to wait for the ROMs that should come out in the next few weeks, now that we have this great honor of unlocked bootloader.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast