rooting question from an iPhone convert

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading that HTC is now allowing the bootloader to be unlocked. Is that the same as S-off? If i unlock the bootloader can I flash ROM's??

I'm coming from an iPhone so the lingo is a bit different and I just want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I F-up my phone.

Is there a way to restore the phone if I run into issues??

Thanks in advance!!

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
, must have missed that one. Sorry. Thanks for the link though.

So if I unlock the bootloader to install CleanRom let's say. Would I then be able to go back and get S-off when that becomes available??

Mainly I just want to install custom ROMS's. But if a different kernel can be used to give me better battery life I'm all about that!!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
You can focus on ROMs (when they start coming out) without any worries for now. S-Off is a different animal that we can deal with later, and I suspect we're still quite a ways from achieving it.

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Great!! I was going to use the CleanRom that was posted, I used Cleantool and really liked it. So in order to be able to flash that I'll need to use the HTC dev tool to unlock, install Clockwork Recovery and then flash the CleanRom??

Just want to make sure I have the steps down. Should I use TB as well??

If something should go wrong is there a way to restore or would I still be able to do a factory reset to restore to stock.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
You can use Amon Ra, or Clockwork, which I believe you can get over on the XDA forums.
If you're interested in ICS, though, you might be better off waiting. Each time you flash a ROM, it's like starting your phone fresh out of the box. Meaning reinstall apps, wallpapers, ringtones, notifications, etc.

The only reason I unlocked mine immediately was because I thought it was an error on HTC's part and I had to act fast. I felt a little foolish when I read their statement saying all phones from September 2011 and onward would be unlockable.

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I wanted to do it was to get rid of all the bloatware and crap. I know Cleantool disables it, is that going to accomplish the same thing as CleanROM??

But I guess i a still not sure if I need to enable all the bloatware and Sense via Cleantool before I unlock the bootloader.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I wanted to do it was to get rid of all the bloatware and crap. I know Cleantool disables it, is that going to accomplish the same thing as CleanROM??

If installing a new ROM is going to wipe everything out each time I'd rather wait for ICS too!!

Disabling it still means it is taking up space on your phone. It is completly gone with CleanROM.
Setting up your phone again is part of the fun!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

But I guess i a still not sure if I need to enable all the bloatware and Sense via Cleantool before I unlock the bootloader.

You don't need to flash a ROM in order to remove bloat. Just unlock the bootloader, root it (via zerg rush on the XDA forums), install Titanium Backup from the Android market, and just backup and/or delete the bloatware.
There's other methods to de-bloat aside from Titanium Backup, but this one is the simplest.

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Alright I think I'm all set. I'm unlocked and rooted!! I just downloaded titanum backup and will probably just remove the bloatware myself. I'm fine with go launcher and some themes. I really just want to delete all the crap Verizon put on the phone.

I don't use sense. Is there a way to delete that or do i need to instal a rom that removes it??

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright I think I'm all set. I'm unlocked and rooted!! I just downloaded titanum backup and will probably just remove the bloatware myself. I'm fine with go launcher and some themes. I really just want to delete all the crap Verizon put on the phone.

I don't use sense. Is there a way to delete that or do i need to instal a rom that removes it??

You can uninstall Sense with Titanium backup. I'd suggest making a backup of it prior to uninstalling it, just in case.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If the bootloader is unlocked, and I root using the ZergRush Method, is this a temporary root or a permanent root? On XDA, I think it said it is a temporary root.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If the bootloader is unlocked, and I root using the ZergRush Method, is this a temporary root or a permanent root? On XDA, I think it said it is a temporary root.

If you went ahead with the unlock method, zerg rush will leave you with a permanent root. That's the method I used right after I unlocked.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I have unlocked the bootloader, rooted using the Zerg Rush Method, Installed the Titanium Backup Pro app. I used Titanium and backed up all user apps and system data. I have also removed alot of bloatware.

1. Is there ever a time when I will want to restore that bloatware? ie update to ICS
2. When I update to ICS, will I have to unlock the bootloader or reroot again?
3. Now that I am rooted, what else can I do to improve the phones performance?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12