Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    major payne's Avatar

    Posts
    854 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

    Default Full backup

    I was wondering how I can do a full back up of the full Verizon Rom so that if i wish to I can attempt rooting and installing other roms with the piece of mind that I can fully restore my phone to it's defualt state.
  2. #2  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    709 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default

    Hmmm. You may beable to do this by booting into stock recovery. If you can't do it there then I think to fully backup the stock rom, I think you have to unlock, root and install a custom recovery with that capability. I could be wrong though.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Full backup

    Grab a RUU, it will bring you back to stock.
    New systems generate new problems.
  4. #4  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    709 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Full backup

    @J2B2 What's an RUU?
  5. #5  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    @J2B2 What's an RUU?
    It's stands for ROM Upgrade Utility. Basically, that type of RUU will allow you to revert back to a stock recovery. However, this will prevent you from flashing custom ROMs, which is why we use Clockworkmod or Amon Ra.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    709 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Full backup

    Thanks for the quick reply Dovahklin. I have so much to learn and terminology is a big part of it.
  7. #7  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Dovahklin. I have so much to learn and terminology is a big part of it.
    No problem. Each person we help means that the android community, as a whole, progresses that much further.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    major payne's Avatar

    Posts
    854 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

    Default Re: Full backup

    Oh Boy this is not as easy as webOS was. So much to learn and soo much to go wrong
  9. #9  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Oh Boy this is not as easy as webOS was. So much to learn and soo much to go wrong
    You only have to learn as much as you want to do on your own phone. If removing bloat is all you want, then you only need to learn about root. If you want a vanilla Gingerbread ROM, then flashing is the way to go. Etc, etc.
    The good thing about it is that there's plenty of people that are willing to walk you through things step by step, provide tools to ease the process, or even explain where you screwed up and how to fix it. There's not so much to go wrong, just so much to go right.

    P.S. I loved webOS
  10. #10  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    You only have to learn as much as you want to do on your own phone. If removing bloat is all you want, then you only need to learn about root. If you want a vanilla Gingerbread ROM, then flashing is the way to go. Etc, etc.
    The good thing about it is that there's plenty of people that are willing to walk you through things step by step, provide tools to ease the process, or even explain where you screwed up and how to fix it. There's not so much to go wrong, just so much to go right.

    P.S. I loved webOS
    I still think the best starting point for all of this is temp root. Mainly because you can't do any damage.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    major payne's Avatar

    Posts
    854 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

    Default Re: Full backup

    Yeah but I should be able to get this as I am a programmer and it'll only help me further my knowledge. Maybe it's my lack of time to concentrate
  12. #12  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Yeah but I should be able to get this as I am a programmer and it'll only help me further my knowledge. Maybe it's my lack of time to concentrate
    This is more like flashing a BIOS(before everything was automated) than application programming. But we're here to help and we'll just keep smashing android in your head until it sticks.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    major payne's Avatar

    Posts
    854 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

    Default Re: Full backup

    LOL I just I think mostly want to see if this game i bought will work at all.. it's NFL Rival and with 485ish meg of ram it still locks up
  14. #14  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    LOL I just I think mostly want to see if this game i bought will work at all.. it's NFL Rival and with 485ish meg of ram it still locks up
    Some of these games do a ton of phoning home. Are you on a reliable connection? Blood and glory ran perfectly on mine, as did GTA3.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    major payne's Avatar

    Posts
    854 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

    Default Re: Full backup

    Yeah my connection is a strong wifi connection. When looking at the review it seems that most phones can run it and some can.
  16. #16  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Some of these games do a ton of phoning home. Are you on a reliable connection? Blood and glory ran perfectly on mine, as did GTA3.
    Hey, how's GTA3? I kinda want it, but I bet the controls are god awful.
    I had a Gameboy emulator on my Droid, and playing anything on touchscreen controls was an exercise in frustration.
  17. #17  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Hey, how's GTA3? I kinda want it, but I bet the controls are god awful.
    I had a Gameboy emulator on my Droid, and playing anything on touchscreen controls was an exercise in frustration.
    All depends on whether or not you actually like playing the game hahaha. If you can manage to steal a car it looks/sounds pretty. Although you're more apt to lose a finger in an industrial accident then to get the controls to stop fighting you long enough to actually get that far. Someone with an Xperia Play said it worked great with those controls.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  18. #18  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Full backup

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    All depends on whether or not you actually like playing the game hahaha. If you can manage to steal a car it looks/sounds pretty. Although you're more apt to lose a finger in an industrial accident then to get the controls to stop fighting you long enough to actually get that far. Someone with an Xperia Play said it worked great with those controls.
    Yeah that about settles it, I'm not buying it. Thanks for the input.
    Now that Sony owns Ericsson outright, I'm hoping to see a full "Playstation" phone in the near future.

Posting Permissions