What do you do WITH your rooted Rezound

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my Fascinate and I've used the Clean Tool to temp root and remove bloat on my Rezound but other than the Hotspot, which I don't use, rooting seems to be for the fun of what you can do TO your phone instead of what you can do WITH your phone. Am I missing something?

Temp root let me de-bloat and lets me use Titanium Backup to restore after any problems but that's about it. What do you do WITH your phone that you couldn't do before rooting. Inquiring minds want to know. :D

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok first off temp root and permanent root are the same thing. It's really the unlocking part that is the key. With root you can remove system apps, theme, use apps that take advantage of root access, etc. I mainly use my root access for Wifi tether and theming.

With an unlocked phone, you can change the ROM and kernel via custom recovery. With a fully unlocked(S-Off) phone you can even flash different versions of the radio.

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
MrSmith I understand what you can do TO your phone with root but beyond using apps like TBU and AdFree which require root and I use plus WiFi tethering which I don't do, what new uses of you phone does rooting provide you? Theming, flashing ROMs, etc are all doing things to your phone as opposed to doing things with your phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
MrSmith I understand what you can do TO your phone with root but beyond using apps like TBU and AdFree which require root and I use plus WiFi tethering which I don't do, what new uses of you phone does rooting provide you? Theming, flashing ROMs, etc are all doing things to your phone as opposed to doing things with your phone.

Gotcha. I don't personally make the distinction. I'm sure it will be interesting to see what if anything other people come up with.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that unlocking via the HTC site without rooting would be of benefit? I'm a techie also so rooting would be cool, but my kids would never use it for their phones.

But unlocking would give them some options, yes? And some "cool" :cool: stuff?

My Rezound is being delivered today, do you think I should do the unlock and root before activation? That way won't set stuff up and have to redo it later?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you think that unlocking via the HTC site without rooting would be of benefit? I'm a techie also so rooting would be cool, but my kids would never use it for their phones.

But unlocking would give them some options, yes? And some "cool" :cool: stuff?

My Rezound is being delivered today, do you think I should do the unlock and root before activation? That way won't set stuff up and have to redo it later?

Unlocking always leaves more options open to you. Rooting has the benefits that this thread is bringing out. Tether, debloat, themes(and customizations), apps like Titanium Backup that require root. Unlocking before you activate probably isn't a bad idea but rooting doesn't erase anything.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
There is not much different to do with you phone now over stock. When we start seeing some aosp roms and custom roms, we won't either. For now, I like some of the roms have the volume buttons mapped to change the music track with the screen off. Im also looking at a photographers app that let's you plug your phone into your Canon dslr and control a bunch if things, and I believe that requires root at the moment.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I do with my unlocked Rezound so far:
-Texts
-Internet Browsing
-Phone Calls
-Streaming videos
-Listening to Music

Of course, I'm doing it with no bloat and additional resources available. Not to mention better battery life.
It's stock, it's lean, it's mean.
When ICS ROMs come out, I'm flashing and enjoying my phone even more. When the native mobile hotspot gets cracked, I'm wi-fi tethering away.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been working on this since we got root. The friggin code is super nutty. Probably done intentionally to make people like me crazy.

I was reading about it on the xda forums. Much respect to you and others trying to work on this. I'm sure many others also appreciate the effort.
I'm mainly waiting for this so I can disregard my paranoia about Verizon somehow being able to detect me using other tethering apps. This would be like converting bloatware into something we can actually use.

technophile82

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Planning to get a Rezound soon...but when rooted, one thing I want to do is use the SixAxis Controller app to use a PS3 controller to play emulator games on my phone. That requires root. I've already done it on my OG droid, and it works great.

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Rooting basically gives admin type rights to your phone. I have 2 rooted optimus v's from Virgin Mobile. One is mine. Other is dad's. I have my stepmom's to root still.

Rooting opens up more than just deleting apps. You can partition your sd card, one part FAT, one part FAT32 using minitool partition wizard (Free). After this you can use programs like Link2SD.

Link2SD is one of the greatest values of root. I now have all my apps moved to the sd. It's different from Apps2SD. Basically not only moving certain apps but the whole app or most of it.

To explain better my phone only has around 170mb usable after root, and deleting bloatware without adding any apps. Now with my apps on it, sd partitioned and linking the apps I have placed on the phone it is down to 160mb of internal. Whats more amazing... The sd card is only using 10mb as well out of 8GB.

So this is not the limit to the rooting. Roms are like different OS for your phone. But as of the moment A temporary root is the only kind of root you want to do right now. ICS - Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 is the newest Android OS. Luckily a work in progress on the official phones to be upgraded. So wait to root or be able to unroot or the update can not be accessed. As they have said it will come out early 2012 so it could even be at the end of the first quarter. So Ice Cream Sandwich is what I am waiting for because my girlfriend just got a HTC Rezound.

Unlocking, allows use on different networks,carriers.

So there is more that you can do. Just look around on different parts of forums. The apps for Rooted phones are not just for certain phones, plus look around the market type in root. Many apps require rooted phones and there are many different things you can do.

Also Virgin Mobile Optimus V, sucked on battery. It has a time without signal bug. Flashing a rom fixes this. However. My fathers phone I have rooted, linked all apps. Added Juice Defender app. Now it has been 1 day, 14hours, 55minutes since fully charged and its at 70%. Meaning the phone will now run for about 5 days or so before having to charge it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exoduss