Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 109
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #51  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by EricChin79 View Post
    Always been a CWM and Rom manager user...

    I can not find the "instructions to install" Amon RA to save my life.... Where is the application even from? I see Rom Manager on the Market, so it feels like a legit application.

    I just need the simple directions on how to ...
    1. install amon ra and root using it
    Head over to XDA and grab the recovery
    [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor - xda-developers

    Flash it in HBOOT.
    "fastboot flash recovery <insert_your_amon_ra_.img_file_here>"

    ROM Manager is legit on the Rezound but you can't use it for the superuser fix if you want to stay relatively stock. I also think it doesn't flash the kernel automatically with the scripts most ROM devs are using. Not sure about that though. Suffice it to say that Amon Ra just plain works.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  2. #52  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezgoing2406 View Post
    Download the Rom to ur computer then flash it to ur sd card. Once its on the sd card. Rename it (PB98IMG). While the battery is out reinstall the sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgoing2406 View Post
    Bro... If you have a extra sim card sitting around. Format it.. then tranfer the (PB98IMG) <-- just like I have it smelled with caps. To your sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuistisTrepe View Post
    Who on earth just has another sim card sitting around?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Why not? I have several sitting around.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    God I hope not...I only have 1 micro SD for each of my devices...granted I have more than the law should allow but still.

    You guys really need to clarify this. Which is it, SIM card or SD card? In my house they are two different things and this thread has turned confusing for some because of this.
  3. #53  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    It's SD card. SIM is for your 4G access SD is where files are stored.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  4. #54  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Alright guys. Two nights ago I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Amon Ra into recovery.

    Also sorry if my terminology is a little off.

    And this is my first Android so I am new.

    I am trying to get a grasp on everything. Basically trying to understand Amon Ra. Now that I flashed it into recovery is it basically there for good? What I am asking if I start flashing Roms will I still be able to access Amon Ra?

    And is it Amon Ra I want to use to flash roms? Total newb.
  5. #55  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
    Alright guys. Two nights ago I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Amon Ra into recovery.

    Also sorry if my terminology is a little off.

    And this is my first Android so I am new.

    I am trying to get a grasp on everything. Basically trying to understand Amon Ra. Now that I flashed it into recovery is it basically there for good? What I am asking if I start flashing Roms will I still be able to access Amon Ra?

    And is it Amon Ra I want to use to flash roms? Total newb.
    Amon Ra is a custom recovery itself. Basically, it's going to remain on your phone permanently unless you flash a different recovery (for instance, you flashed Amon Ra over the stock one.) Your options are;
    - Amon Ra
    - Clockworkmod
    - Stock
    You'll find that Amon Ra is the most popular. To answer your question, this is the recovery you'll use to flash ROMs, backup & restore, and run your phone in general. Regardless of the ROM you flash, Amon Ra will still be there until you say otherwise. Think of it as the guts of your phone, or software manager, or guardian of your phone.
    Thanked by:
  6. #56  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Amon Ra is a custom recovery itself. Basically, it's going to remain on your phone permanently unless you flash a different recovery (for instance, you flashed Amon Ra over the stock one.) Your options are;
    - Amon Ra
    - Clockworkmod
    - Stock
    You'll find that Amon Ra is the most popular. To answer your question, this is the recovery you'll use to flash ROMs, backup & restore, and run your phone in general. Regardless of the ROM you flash, Amon Ra will still be there until you say otherwise. Think of it as the guts of your phone, or software manager, or guardian of your phone.
    Come over to the AmonRa darkside have we?
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  7. #57  
    Dovahkiin's Avatar
    One Man Wolfpack

    Posts
    1,002 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Come over to the AmonRa darkside have we?
    Somewhat, but I'm (still) telling you, man, CWM could've been on all of our phones if things hadn't gone down how they did (crappy unofficial version, late official release, etc.)
  8. #58  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Somewhat, but I'm (still) telling you, man, CWM could've been on all of our phones if things hadn't gone down how they did (crappy unofficial version, late official release, etc.)
    Koush got my money from buying Rom Manager all those years ago so I don't feel bad about letting CWM sit until next phone.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  9. #59  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    I am wondering about this because I am a bit confused..do you have to unlock in order to root?..or do you need to unlock first?..I planned on skipping that step but figured I would ask first!!
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    I followed your instructions to the letter. Phone is unlocked. Put the (amon Ra) PH91MG in the root of my SD card. When it rebooted the green scroll started as described. However, when it stopped I received the following:

    Main Version is older!
    Update Fail!
    Press <POWER> to reboot.

    What happened? Can you offer some advice. I'm pretty much a noob. I rooted my Incredable no problem. Did the ClockWorkMod recovery to it. Never flashed a ROM as at the time I just wanted control to freeze all the bloatware and auto start programs.

    Help me Obi Wan. You are my only hope.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Well I discovered one ***** move on my part but the end result was the same. I forgot to add the extension .zip to the file name. I received considerable more scrolling green script this time but it never stopped to get a "yes" from me. It went back to the HBOOT screen.

    What to do now????
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Misc. Tools for the HTC Rezound

    Oops. Quoted the wrong post but can't figure out how to delete this second msg. Sorry.
    Last edited by Dugoutdog; 03-15-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong post
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    I downloaded my Titanium and when opened it said I wasn't rooted.
  14. #64  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Only way to root now is to use a combination of Amon-Ra and superuser from the market.

    Download and install Amon-Ra Custom Recovery
    Reboot into recovery
    Under the developer menu install Superuser
    Reboot the phone normally
    Download Superuser from the Android market
    ????
    Profit
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
    Thanked by:
  15. #65  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Only way to root now is to use a combination of Amon-Ra and superuser from the market.

    Download and install Amon-Ra Custom Recovery
    Reboot into recovery
    Under the developer menu install Superuser
    Reboot the phone normally
    Download Superuser from the Android market
    ????
    Profit
    I'll try first thing in the morning. I just woke up and am now off to work.
    Thanks.
  16. #66  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Only way to root now is to use a combination of Amon-Ra and superuser from the market.

    Download and install Amon-Ra Custom Recovery
    Reboot into recovery
    Under the developer menu install Superuser
    Reboot the phone normally
    Download Superuser from the Android market
    ????
    Profit
    Well I did it this am. I downloaded the Latest version 3.14 of Amon-Ra recovery "recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img" from the XDA website. Compared your instructions and their's and they were virtually identical. After reboot I opened up my Titanium Backup Pro and I found myself rooted. I can't thank you enough for your help.

    I'm going to likely install a custom ROM in the near future and I was wondering . . . there has been lots of talk around various forums that the Amon Ra was more stable and all around better (at this point anyway) than ClockWorkMod. I have ROM manager on my phone. Is there an Amon-Ra program like it or all ROMs installed through HBOOT? (that's a guess - remember I'm new to most all this.
  17. #67  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugoutdog View Post
    Well I did it this am. I downloaded the Latest version 3.14 of Amon-Ra recovery "recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img" from the XDA website. Compared your instructions and their's and they were virtually identical. After reboot I opened up my Titanium Backup Pro and I found myself rooted. I can't thank you enough for your help.

    I'm going to likely install a custom ROM in the near future and I was wondering . . . there has been lots of talk around various forums that the Amon Ra was more stable and all around better (at this point anyway) than ClockWorkMod. I have ROM manager on my phone. Is there an Amon-Ra program like it or all ROMs installed through HBOOT? (that's a guess - remember I'm new to most all this.
    Nope, CWM uses ROM Manager and there's no equivalent app for Amon-Ra. If you talk to Dovahkiin, he'll tell you that CWM is stable in it's current form. And it is. It just doesn't do the rooting bit you just went through. So feel free to flash the latest CWM but be aware that there are a few common complaints(not being able to initiate a backup, restore a backup due to md5 issues, not charging while the phone is off). As far as I know Dovahkiin has the whole shebang working without issue...
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  18. #68  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Nope, CWM uses ROM Manager and there's no equivalent app for Amon-Ra. If you talk to Dovahkiin, he'll tell you that CWM is stable in it's current form. And it is. It just doesn't do the rooting bit you just went through. So feel free to flash the latest CWM but be aware that there are a few common complaints(not being able to initiate a backup, restore a backup due to md5 issues, not charging while the phone is off). As far as I know Dovahkiin has the whole shebang working without issue...
    Sometimes I shouldn't think too hard when I get home from work. I referred to CWM and shouldn't have (it was a busy night at work - damn Apple iPads - I work for FedEx who moves all of Apple's stuff. Picture 17 53' long trailers full of iPads arriving for download, sort, and a flight . . . and that was only for the Rocky Mtn's west).
    So I'll start again. I have ROM manager installed. Is it compatible with Amon Ra for downloading/installing ROMs? I assume if I flash a ClockWorkMod recovery it will replace Amon Ra with itself ?? If it does then how do you flash a recovery with Amon Ra?
  19. #69  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugoutdog View Post
    Sometimes I shouldn't think too hard when I get home from work. I referred to CWM and shouldn't have (it was a busy night at work - damn Apple iPads - I work for FedEx who moves all of Apple's stuff. Picture 17 53' long trailers full of iPads arriving for download, sort, and a flight . . . and that was only for the Rocky Mtn's west).
    So I'll start again. I have ROM manager installed. Is it compatible with Amon Ra for downloading/installing ROMs? I assume if I flash a ClockWorkMod recovery it will replace Amon Ra with itself ?? If it does then how do you flash a recovery with Amon Ra?
    No worries.... No ROM Manager doesn't work with Amon Ra. Only CWM works with Amon Ra. If you want to flash CWM over Amon Ra simply get the latest CWM download, and flash it in HBOOT similar to the way you flashed Amon-Ra. It will overwrite the recovery partition with CWM and you can go on using ROM Manager.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  20. #70  
    tmettler5's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    stuck on black screen with triangle exclamation point!
  21. #71  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this...I am thinking about taking advantage of the current Verizon deal for the Rezound. I would be coming from a rooted Droid X. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't root. The latest OTA for the Droid X prevents root and SBF. I didn't take it, so I am still good with the Droid X. My question is, has anything similar been done to the Rezound, I would hate to get one and find that root is not possible.
  22. #72  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by cadjak View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this...I am thinking about taking advantage of the current Verizon deal for the Rezound. I would be coming from a rooted Droid X. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't root. The latest OTA for the Droid X prevents root and SBF. I didn't take it, so I am still good with the Droid X. My question is, has anything similar been done to the Rezound, I would hate to get one and find that root is not possible.
    Yes you can still root the Rezound. You have to unlock the phone via HTCDev.com but it's well worth it.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

    -Walt Disney
  23. #73  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmettler5 View Post
    stuck on black screen with triangle exclamation point!
    A little more info may be helpful. Did you try unlocking and its stuck? Did you try flashing a recovery and its stuck? Did you light it on fire and its stuck? Help us help you....
  24. #74  
    tmettler5's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Quote Originally Posted by MustangDan74 View Post
    A little more info may be helpful. Did you try unlocking and its stuck? Did you try flashing a recovery and its stuck? Did you light it on fire and its stuck? Help us help you....
    I unstuck it...thanks!
  25. #75  
    SirKnightDavid's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    ROM
    viperReZ 1.0.3

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

    Started the process to root my Rezound tonight and was doing ok until I hit a snag..

    I unlocked successfully using HTCDev
    Grabbed the AmonRa recovery file and put it on the root of my external card, named appropriately
    Booted to HBOOT
    [snag] Main Version is older???

    OK, what do I do now?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions