[GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE]Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

[INFO]I take no credit to any of the information provided. This was gathered from around the forums and pieced together so you can have one place to get what you need to unlock & root your HTC Rezound. I don't own this device so I can't be much of help with the device.[/INFO]

Post 2 : Unlocking

Post 3 : Installing Custom Recovery & Rooting

Post 4 : Misc. Tools

[/NOTE]

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking the HTC Rezound

[NOTE]Unlocking the HTC Rezound

[INFO]:: Windows & Mac OS ::

HTCdev.com - Unlocking Your Bootloader

There is various guides to go along with this but everyone basically refers back to just following the instructions at HTCdev.com. I know it requires the use of Android SDK and some basic skills. Don't sweat it, if HTC made this option available then they must feel the process is easy enough for most people to accomplish.

[/INFO]
[/NOTE]

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

[NOTE]Rooting the HTC Rezound

[INFO][WARN]We are not responsible for anything that happens to your device. You have been warned ![/WARN]
[TIP]First make sure you have unlocked your bootloader in the previous post to continue with flashing a custom recovery and installing root access.[/TIP]

Credit: con247 for this very simple, yet informative guide. Thank you!

Recovery Installation Method: The PH98IMG.zip

CWMPH98IMG.zip (ClockWorkMod Recovery)
AmonRaPH98IMG.zip (AmonRA Recovery)

This method uses a file called PH98IMG.zip to install the custom recovery. This is the simplest and doesn't require knowledge of fastboot, adb, and doesn't need a computer.

1) Download the PH98IMG.zip of the recovery of your choice. I have them named with the type of recovery in front of it so you know which one to download. For example, CWMPH98IMG.zip is the PH98IMG.zip of CWM recovery. Just rename it to PH98IMG.zip

2) Connect your phone to your PC (if you downloaded the PH98IMG.zip directly from your phone's browser, use a file manager to duplicate these steps)

3) Enable USB Mass Storage (as if you wanted to copy a file to the memory card).

4) Copy the PH98IMG.zip to the root (not in any folders) of the external SD card. NOT the HTC Storage. This is extremely important. It should not be in ANY folders.

5) Disconnect the phone from the computer and shut the phone down.

6) Pull your phone's battery. It should not have the USB cable in it either.

7) Put the battery back in. Press and hold the volume down button and then press the power button. You should get taken to a white screen. This is HBOOT.

8) Some green text should scroll on the screen. At the bottom, it will prompt you if you would like to install the update. Press the button associated with YES. It is most likely volume up, but I cannot remember off the top of my head for sure.

9)When it finishes, it will ask you to press power to reboot. Do this. If you have no signal after booting, it is most likely because you forgot to put the battery door back on, as the antennas are in the door.

10) Delete the PH98IMG.zip from your memory card, or else you will not be able to get into recovery.

11) Custom recovery is installed.

**Temporary Notes: (These most likely won't apply in the coming weeks)**

CWM has issues right now with backups. For this reason, I would recommend AmonRa for now. Also, CWM is not "official" yet, so it will NOT show up in ROM Manager.

Finally, if ROM Manager begins to show CWM for this device, it will not flash via ROM Manager because our S-ON/Unlocked situation.

How to access custom recovery.
1) Power down your phone and pull the battery. It should not be connected to a computer.
2) Press and hold volume down and power to get to HBOOT.
3) Use the volume buttons to scroll to recovery, then press the power button.
4) The HTC screen will flash briefly and you will be taken to recovery. You navigate with the power button and the volume buttons.

How to root (Permanently).
This rooting method again doesn't explicitly require a PC and is permanent until you actively remove it.

1) Flash AmonRa Recovery. Use the other section to do this. If you already installed CWM, this will overwrite it and there won't be negative effects.
2) Boot into AmonRa Recovery.
3) Scroll to and enter the Developer menu.
4) Scroll to install Su. DO NOT INSTALL THE ENG (Unguarded) one. Use the other one.
5) Confirm this, when it is finished, go ahead and reboot. You should be rooted.
6) You can now reflash CWM if you want.

The original author of this suggests doing a Nandroid backup of your device after this is complete. Can be done via either recovery that you choose.

[/INFO]
[/NOTE]

Last edited:

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So this doesn't work if I did the latest OTA huh because I tried and it told me something like my version is older etc.. trying to install Ra recovery zip?

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Tried your steps, not working. Do you unzip the file? Do you have to rename it to just "PH98IMG?" When you say external SD card, do you mean ext_SD folder or literally the external card?

Reactions: jm5b

ezgoing2406

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
This freaking sucks on this update.. I spent the last 12 hours readin and studing about the root to make sure I do everything perfect.. So finally build up the urg to do it.. And no shot.. Due to the messege I get.. I guess I wait or decide to just take the phone back to verizon.. Because with the type of work I have.. I have to not worry about all the bloatware draining my battery with in 4 hrs.. Please some one fix that... :-\... I need ROOT

ezgoing2406

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

QuistisTrepe .. If you did the last update it wont work. But if you didn't PH98IMG.img is where you rename the rom to.. Then it should work.. Hope that helps you..

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

QuistisTrepe .. If you did the last update it wont work. But if you didn't PH98IMG.img is where you rename the rom to.. Then it should work.. Hope that helps you..

Did that, but what I was unsure of is whether you drop the file in the ext_sd folder, in the internal storage, or on the literal external card. I've tried this every which way and it just isn't working. To double check, you do NOT unzip the file, right?

At least I'm pretty sure this isn't working as the HBOOT doesn't automatically detect and start the recovery installation process as you described. No prompt for installation, nothing.

Edit: USB debugging wasn't checked, I wonder if that might have been a factor. But considering that a USB connection isn't a factor other than file transfer, probably not.

Last edited:

ezgoing2406

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
You have to use hboot the only way to do it without brinking ur phone... Download the Rom to ur computer then flash it to ur sd card. Once its on the sd card. Rename it (PB98IMG). While the battery is out reinstall the sim card. Then hold volume down. Then power button. Should start right up.

But with the new update we can't do that.. thanks to Verizon stupid ass bloatware..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You have to use hboot the only way to do it without brinking ur phone... Download the Rom to ur computer then flash it to ur sd card. Once its on the sd card. Rename it (PB98IMG). While the battery is out reinstall the sim card. Then hold volume down. Then power button. Should start right up.

But with the new update we can't do that.. thanks to Verizon stupid ass bloatware..

The OTA update wouldn't install as my phone is already unlocked and rooted. So that's not an issue. Steps taken so far:
  • enabled disk drive with USB hookup
  • moved Amon Ra to internal storage and also tried it in ext_sd folder, renamed the file to PB98IMG
  • rebooted in HBOOT mode, the guide states that there should be a prompt to install that I'm not seeing
  • Now I'm reading your post and I'm wondering if I've done this correctly at all

So you're saying to "flash the rom" from the computer with the phone connected to it? I didn't know the SIM card played a role in this. I know how to get into HBOOT mode, but again, the guide stated that I'm supposed to see a prompt to install the recovery and that isn't happening and this leads me to believe that I'm not renaming the file correctly or storing it in the correct directory or both.

I've read two different takes on this, rename the file as just PB98IMG, or do it as "PB98IMG.img" or PB98IMG.zip (yes, with the file extension in the name). The part about where to store the file seemed ambiguous as well. "External storage," meaning the internal storage memory in the "ext_sd" folder or the actual external SD card?

All this stuff is second nature for those of you in the modding scene, but for novices, some of these steps can be somewhat ambiguous as currently worded. The sticking point is the prompt for install as soon as the unit boots into HBOOT, if I'm not seeing an automatic prompt to install the recovery, then I take that as I stored the file incorrectly.

ezgoing2406

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Bro... If you have a extra sim card sitting around. Format it.. then tranfer the (PB98IMG) <-- just like I have it smelled with caps. To your sim card.. Turn off the phone switch the cards out. Then boot hboot. Should work from there. That is the best easys way to do it..

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hope you guys can help. I got to the step where I try to download the code from my e-mail. It doesn't ask where to install it, it just downloads it in my downloads section, it doesn't put it with the rest of the files that are on platform tools. Can anyone guide me in the right direction.
Thanks

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Bro... If you have a extra sim card sitting around. Format it.. then tranfer the (PB98IMG) <-- just like I have it smelled with caps. To your sim card.. Turn off the phone switch the cards out. Then boot hboot. Should work from there. That is the best easys way to do it..

Who on earth just has another sim card sitting around?:confused:

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Rezound yesterday. Are the instructions provided here for unlocking and rooting still current? If not, where should I turn for the latest?

Thanks,

Mark

JimFlyerFan

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

just to be clear, if my phone got the OTA update then i cant use these instructions to root and flash a custom ROM?