OTA update auto downloads

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I am running Scot's GB Cleanrom 1.55 and I did the Kernel update manually (he now includes it in his 1.65 cleanrom).

I have not yet received the update from Verizon...:cool:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Message on mine was it has been downloaded but I've deferred it. Anyone got info on filename location of the download so I can remove it?

Also, can I just flash CleanROM 1.65 over the 1.55 to get the new kernal?

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just got the update, I don't know what happened. It started downloading then I put it in my pocket. When I took it out there was nothing on the screen.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
My level of aggravation has increased (Level Up!) *Incoming rant*
Someone, please, tell me what the HELL is the point of deferring, when the damn OTA ignores the damn date twice and tries to install again 3 days ahead of time.
Last night at 1am, while my phone is on silent, it decides to vibrate like crazy and light up. I had to be up at 5am today, so naturally I got up and thanked HTC for the early wake up call. Remember when OTAs popped up on the Droid and DInc and whatnot? We had to hit that pesky "Install" button for it to actually install. I mean, what a drag, man!
Thank the heavens for HTC deciding what's convenient for me. Network off? No problem! It activates it on its own.
Don't be alarmed if your phone is on silent, it WILL LET YOU KNOW NO MATTER WHAT!
Hey bro, we heard you like 52.5MB files, so we're just gonna download them indefinitely. The best part is that I now have a second built-in lock screen. IT'S THE DAMN "UPDATE FAILED" NOTIFICATION! It seriously will not go away.
I want to jump ship to the ICS ROMs, but I really want Beats to become fully functional.
/rant. If you read this whole thing, you're my true AndroidCentral friend.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Someone, please, tell me what the HELL is the point of deferring, when the damn OTA ignores the damn date twice and tries to install again 3 days ahead of time.
Last night at 1am, while my phone is on silent, it decides to vibrate like crazy and light up. I had to be up at 5am today, so naturally I got up and thanked HTC for the early wake up call. Remember when OTAs popped up on the Droid and DInc and whatnot? We had to hit that pesky "Install" button for it to actually install. I mean, what a drag, man!
Thank the heavens for HTC deciding what's convenient for me. Network off? No problem! It activates it on its own.
Don't be alarmed if your phone is on silent, it WILL LET YOU KNOW NO MATTER WHAT!
Hey bro, we heard you like 52.5MB files, so we're just gonna download them indefinitely. The best part is that I now have a second built-in lock screen. IT'S THE DAMN "UPDATE FAILED" NOTIFICATION! It seriously will not go away.
I want to jump ship to the ICS ROMs, but I really want Beats to become fully functional.

I can't pass up a ranting post, they're like mosquito zappers. Can't help it, I get pulled in everytime.

swwhite

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Such a beautiful, poetic, rant. I felt the authors anger, and was ready to grab a torch and pitchfork and fight for his cause. LMAO... In all seriousness, that does suck bro! Hope shyt gets worked out for you!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

finnd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

+1, would read again

finnd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
but in all seriousness, my phone is doing that in the middle of the night and NOT waking me up. So rather than my phone alarm waking me at 0400 to go to the gym, my lazy a$$ wakes up on its own at 0455 to see that my phone is in boot recovery mode complaining the upgrade failed. Now I have to go buy an alarm clock for my nightstand and that is just sooo last millennium. :(

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Curious, mine hasn't updated. I've deferred a couple of times, but for some reason that I can't fathom, it always shows "Rejected by user on (date)" then the item showing deferred always comes back to "Check new..." When I check, it does come up and show the new update, but gives me the options to update, defer or reject. I just select reject now. But they don't appear on their own, only if I check new manually.

My kernal version is different, this shows 2.01.065-whatever and my kernal under about phone->Software Information->more shows 2.6.35.13-whatever and has a date of Oct 12 2011

EDIT: Used the ROM Manager to flash the CWM official for the Rezound, suddenly the update request appeared again and I had to defer. Sitting now at deferred status until 2-8. This thing is nuts. Don't want the update with the VZ Location problem draining the battery. Haven't seen anything on the update that would make me want it, and actually with the zergrush root now not working, not sure I will ever want it.

I want to stay as is until official ICS comes out and custom ROMS are available based on that.

Last edited:

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: Used the ROM Manager to flash the CWM official for the Rezound, suddenly the update request appeared again and I had to defer. Sitting now at deferred status until 2-8. This thing is nuts. Don't want the update with the VZ Location problem draining the battery. Haven't seen anything on the update that would make me want it, and actually with the zergrush root now not working, not sure I will ever want it.

I want to stay as is until official ICS comes out and custom ROMS are available based on that.

You're gonna want to flash something else in the meantime just to rid you of the OTA nuisance, at least.
You can always flash back to stock if you're in the mood for official ICS (when it becomes available.)

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My kernal version is different, this shows 2.01.065-whatever and my kernal under about phone->Software Information->more shows 2.6.35.13-whatever and has a date of Oct 12 2011.

Likewise for me. The OTA has downloaded about three times then nothing happens. When I check status it shows user rejected although I haven't done anything and, fortunately, I haven't got the irritating "update failed" message or any need to defer.

I've temp rooted and de-bloated and the OTA download hasn't affected that at all. Hopefully it stays this way since I'm waiting to perm root until the official ICS leak gives us new custom ROMs. ;)

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Dovahkin I'm on Senseless ICS 1.0 and Beats audio is functioning, the only bug concerning beats is that the title bar toggle doesn't work. Toggling Beats on/off has to be done inside the player.

I believe Scrosler also did post a Senseless ICS 1.1 over on XDA, but I've been wary of flashing, people have complained about Bluetooth issues on both 1.0 and 1.1, however mine is working fine. I worry that updating may make it unhappy heh.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You're gonna want to flash something else in the meantime just to rid you of the OTA nuisance, at least.
You can always flash back to stock if you're in the mood for official ICS (when it becomes available.)

Already have, I'm on Scott's CleanROM 1.5.5 and will leave it there.

Thanks

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Dovahkin I'm on Senseless ICS 1.0 and Beats audio is functioning, the only bug concerning beats is that the title bar toggle doesn't work. Toggling Beats on/off has to be done inside the player.

I believe Scrosler also did post a Senseless ICS 1.1 over on XDA, but I've been wary of flashing, people have complained about Bluetooth issues on both 1.0 and 1.1, however mine is working fine. I worry that updating may make it unhappy heh.

Oh? Thanks for the heads up. I heard that it was moody, meaning that it functioned pretty much at random. I know you and MrSmith to check it out for me before install. Thanks again.
I'm a bit scared of the bugs though. I'd hate to start over and switch back because of bugs :-\

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the most annoying bug is not being able to send MMS, but from what I've seen that's fixed in 1.1.

Oh, and maybe a bit more temptation for you...

2012-02-03_16-40-19.png

2012-02-03_16-40-32.png

Stock battery... :)

Of course there are more ICS ROMs than just Scrosler's, but I'm quite happy with his work at this point.

fuzzynco

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a s-off custom rom (ICS), amon-ra recovery.

I keep getting OTA update failed (due to custom recovery).
I do not want the update, how do I get the process to
top trying to update the stock rom that is not installed?

I see the update file keeps re-downloading to /cache
tries to update fails and hangs in AmonRa, requiring
manual reboot. I just want the update ignored.

Perhaps the trick of replacing the fingerprint
with the updated one? Does anyone know the
the correct text to put in there?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a s-off custom rom (ICS), amon-ra recovery.

I keep getting OTA update failed (due to custom recovery).
I do not want the update, how do I get the process to
top trying to update the stock rom that is not installed?

I see the update file keeps re-downloading to /cache
tries to update fails and hangs in AmonRa, requiring
manual reboot. I just want the update ignored.

Perhaps the trick of replacing the fingerprint
with the updated one? Does anyone know the
the correct text to put in there?

Which ROM are you running? If you're on something that you haven't updated since this thread was live you will definitely want to go ahead and update. Once you've done that, the OTA thing will go away.

And while you're at it you should run the global RUU if you haven't already done that.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

fuzzynco

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: OTA update auto downloads -- rom info as requested

about-phone.pngupdate-notification.png
My concern is being on a non-stock rom, its unwise to let it
change files without knowing what's happening.

HTC Tech Support confirms its best not to take the update.
But also says it should never have been offered to a phone
listed as being HTCDEV unlocked.

In any case, even 'rejected' it still tries nightly to reboot to
recovery, attempt installation and fail due to Amon-Ra
not understanding its update-script file?? :(

I think its whatever the HTC / FTC settlement required. :-\

How do I get it to stop trying? :confused: