Found OTA download location

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So I found the location where the OTA has downloaded to my phone. I'm running Nils' lastest Gingersense ROM which incorporates the "important" bits of the "update" and therefore don't need/want the OTA. It downloaded itself but I deferred the install and now every time I reboot my phone it tries to install but fails (thank goodness).

Anyone know if deleting it will mess anything up.

Its under: cache/fumo/OTApkg.zip

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured it was in the cache folder, I was just never able to confirm beyond having Dohavkiin wipe has cache via recovery once the OTA force-downloaded so many times as to fill his cache and prevent him from using MMS properly. Good to know. Now I think it would be an interesting idea if someone were to create an app that would auto defer and then delete the OTA package.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I found it this morning after I turned on my phone and again it tried to install by going to recovery. Looking at the "failed" message it gave me the file path and voila, there it was. I'll take a chance and delete it tonight, I'm on the road today and need my phone running 4.0. If it borks the thing, I'll let everyone know but I really don't see that happening.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you delete it, it will just download it again.

It should theoretically be the same result as going into recovery and choosing to wipe cache, though using a root file broswer will allow your efforts to be much more specific.

Once you move to ICS you no longer get the update prompt or downloads.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I figured updating the version number and kernel would keep the OTA from finding me again...guess we'll see!

What if I just renamed it to OTApkg.zip.bak

Think that would keep it from acting up?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling it would just become the virtual equivalent of a paperweight, while the phone downloads another copy and tries to install the new one. Feel free to try if you like.

This is hearsay, but I recall reading somewhere that some people have tried updating version numbers to no avail. I can't remember where I read that though.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling it would just become the virtual equivalent of a paperweight, while the phone downloads another copy and tries to install the new one. Feel free to try if you like.

This is hearsay, but I recall reading somewhere that some people have tried updating version numbers to no avail. I can't remember where I read that though.

Hope thats not true...I like ICS and all but I'm quite content with my Sense 3.5 and Gbread. That said, there's no way I can take my phone rebooting itself to install some frabbing update I didn't really want to begin with.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Try CleanROM ICS then. It's Sense 3.5 installed on ICS. Bluetooth and screen flicker are the most prominent bugs from what I recall. Somehow I've managed to have the only Rezound not affected by this ICS/Bluetooth bug.

The one Rezound to rule them all? ...my precious.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hope thats not true...I like ICS and all but I'm quite content with my Sense 3.5 and Gbread. That said, there's no way I can take my phone rebooting itself to install some frabbing update I didn't really want to begin with.

Go to CleanROM GBE 1.6.5. as far as I know that ROM is above the update version.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I figured updating the version number and kernel would keep the OTA from finding me again...guess we'll see!

What if I just renamed it to OTApkg.zip.bak

Think that would keep it from acting up?

If I remember correctly from my OG Droid days, there's another process involved in renaming the OTA package. Try to do it yourself and see, but I'm pretty sure it'll block you from renaming it.
Hell, I think I couldn't even delete it when I tried to through ES File Explorer. Not that it would matter, because as fallacy said, it just re-downloads indefinitely.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So I found the location where the OTA has downloaded to my phone. I'm running Nils' lastest Gingersense ROM which incorporates the "important" bits of the "update" and therefore don't need/want the OTA. It downloaded itself but I deferred the install and now every time I reboot my phone it tries to install but fails (thank goodness).

Anyone know if deleting it will mess anything up.

Its under: cache/fumo/OTApkg.zip

Well? How about sharing? Knowing the location would help a lot of us.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, see the last sentence of my post, the one you just quoted.....

Also deleting it only makes it redownload as everyone thought.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, see the last sentence of my post, the one you just quoted.....

Also deleting it only makes it redownload as everyone thought.

Ooops, sorry, LOL. It's way early. I looked at it the post 3 times and didn't see it. 5am and still blurry eyed.

Thanks.

EDIT: Don't have the cache/fumor directory, prolly because I always reject the update and the download is canceled.

Last edited:

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Ooops, sorry, LOL. It's way early. I looked at it the post 3 times and didn't see it. 5am and still blurry eyed.

Thanks.

EDIT: Don't have the cache/fumor directory, prolly because I always reject the update and the download is canceled.

If you're looking for it with ES File Explorer, don't bother. For some reason, it will only let you look at SD cards, even on Root Mode.
Use Astro and navigate all the way up to "/"

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I found it just fine with ES File Explorer. First make sure you've got the "Mount File System" under Settings>root settings. After that when you go into the app it shows you the SD card...tap the top left icon (it looks like an SD card) and it will take you to the phones main directory. Cache is the third one down on my system.

Having the file system mounted will also let you delete anything and everything so be careful.

Edit: I flashed Scotts Cleanrom 1.6.5 this morning and it does seem that the version of ES File Explorer is a bit different from what Nils included in his ROM. If you set it for Root Explorer, and Mount System you should still be able to get access to everything. From there go to the main screen and tap "favorites" and selece the phone directory.

Last edited:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I found it with X-plore. Also, changed the permissions to 444, read only. Did not delete. So far, the OTA has not attempted again, just keeps showing no new software.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
How are you guys getting the OTA package to show up?
It re-downloaded an hour ago but I can't seem to find it at all. I don't even have a /fumo folder in /cache, so I'm wondering if the OTA just auto deletes itself for one reason or another.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. I flashed to Scotts CleanROM 1.6.5 cause I was getting the stupid download and install attempts every morning for a week. The way I found it was to let it try and install and when it fails look at the file path in the failure message.