Can't Remove Stock Apps / Bloatware, Perm Rooted

xxkmanxx

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I just Unlocked and Rooted My Rezound. I used this guide to root my phone ([GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound)

I installed the AmonRA Recovery for a Permanent Root. After I checked that i was rooted correctly using root checker and Titanium Backup. Then I tryed to use the CleanTool([TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1 - 12/11 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean!) to remove all bloatware. I enabled usb debugging and connected my phone to the computer in charge mode. I ran the bat file and choose to remove all bloatware, it looked like it worked. and i used it to reboot my phone and nothing was removed. I also tried to use Root Explorer to move the .apk and .odex files in /system/app/ to a folder on my SD, still didn't work. Is this not working because of the recent update or something?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd first make a backup of all the bloatware with Titanium Backup just in case (cause you just never know). Then use Titanium to delete the crap you don't want. You'll have to do it selectively one app at a time but it will get the bloat off your phone.

A word of caution, Titanium will delete pretty much anything if selected so be careful about what gets the axe.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
are you saying to use Titanium Backup to make a full backup first and then Freeze the Bloatware Apps?

Yep. Make a backup of everything...it's called a batch mode I think. After that I usually just delete whatever I don't want.

When you're in Titanium, tap on the app you want to get rid of and it brings up a menu of "backup" "freeze" (paid only) and so on. One of those options is to delete.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just Unlocked and Rooted My Rezound. I used this guide to root my phone ([GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound)

I installed the AmonRA Recovery for a Permanent Root. After I checked that i was rooted correctly using root checker and Titanium Backup. Then I tryed to use the CleanTool([TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1 - 12/11 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean!) to remove all bloatware. I enabled usb debugging and connected my phone to the computer in charge mode. I ran the bat file and choose to remove all bloatware, it looked like it worked. and i used it to reboot my phone and nothing was removed. I also tried to use Root Explorer to move the .apk and .odex files in /system/app/ to a folder on my SD, still didn't work. Is this not working because of the recent update or something?

If you're sure you're permanently rooted. In Root Explorer click the "mount as r/w" button in the top right corner when you go to the /system/app/ directory. Also CleanTool only disables bloat it doesn't remove anything.

xxkmanxx

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
When i have Root Explorer set to "Mount R/W" and then I try to move an apk file from /system/app/ it comes up with an error and says "Warning: file.apk cannot be moved because the file system is read-only". Whats wrong?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
When i have Root Explorer set to "Mount R/W" and then I try to move an apk file from /system/app/ it comes up with an error and says "Warning: file.apk cannot be moved because the file system is read-only". Whats wrong?

Give Titanium a try...it will delete ANYTHING.

Chantella Jackson

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
This thread is pretty old, but I wanna comment for people who are still viewing this thread for help(like I just was). Titanium Backup doesn't work for removing bloatware from my phone(M865 Ascend 2). It, or anything else, has never been able to remove the bloatware. It tries and then gives a "read only" error, and things like that. I usually use Link2SD to remove it and it works(oh, I'm rooted btw). It worked before with both my other hand-me-downs(my Ascend, and with my S2) but on my M865 is doesn't work. I've tried both on my stock rom and on the custom rom I have(I doubt that would make much of a difference though but maybe it could.)...and just to whoever is wondering why I went from and S2 back to the Ascend and then M865(not that it matters much because they're all phones if you get what I mean), it's because I traded my S2 for the laptop I'm using...miss that phone...then traded the Ascend for the Ascend 2.

EDIT: I am still going to try to figure out how to remove the bloatware. If I figure it out I'll come here and tell how I did it.

Alicia Heilig

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having this problem as well on my Visual Land Prestige 7G. I'm rooted, and have tried titanium, link2sd, and the simple command in the terminal (mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3), but still cannot remove bloatwate :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12