Help with "terms" in regards to rooting, ROM'ing

MustangDan74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading all the threads and I found the All-In-One Toolkit, I am still having a few things that I would like explanations on.

Regarding kernals, what are they and why would I want one over the other? For example, in the AIO Toolkit he lists Stock, Unsecured Stock OC and Incredikernal B3-1. What are they, whats the difference, and why would I want one over another?

I keep seeing the term "flash", as in "Flash a kernal", "Flash a recovery", etc. Could someone please explain the flash to me? Is "flash" just another term for "install", or..... ?

Lastly, what exactly do the different recoveries do, I know there are a couple (maybe a few?) different ones. What does the recovery allow me to do and why do I need it?

Thanks for helping with these noob questions, I tried to find a glossary of this stuff but didn't find much, can someone either answer or send me a link?

Thanks again--Dan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm reading all the threads and I found the All-In-One Toolkit, I am still having a few things that I would like explanations on.

Regarding kernals, what are they and why would I want one over the other? For example, in the AIO Toolkit he lists Stock, Unsecured Stock OC and Incredikernal B3-1. What are they, whats the difference, and why would I want one over another?
Kernels are the main link between your device and the OS. Everything you do, the kernel tells the OS what to do. But for our purposes it controls the power and speed of the processor. You can over clock, under clock and in return can yield much better battery life
I keep seeing the term "flash", as in "Flash a kernal", "Flash a recovery", etc. Could someone please explain the flash to me? Is "flash" just another term for "install", or..... ?
Yes flashing=installing of a kernel, ROM , etc.. This is normally done via custom recovery
Lastly, what exactly do the different recoveries do, I know there are a couple (maybe a few?) different ones. What does the recovery allow me to do and why do I need it?
Most common and popular is CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery. This allows you to flash custom ROMs/kernels/mods and also do full system backups & restores among many other things.
Thanks for helping with these noob questions, I tried to find a glossary of this stuff but didn't find much, can someone either answer or send me a link?

Thanks again--Dan
No problem Dan. Here is a link to a glossary of most common terms in Android.

The Android Dictionary (aka "What the hell are they talking about?!?!")

Reactions: MustangDan74

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Stock kernal, is just that.. stock unsecured means you can use ADB from a pc with root capabilities active (iirc) , inkredikernal b3 1 is a user made kernal (i use that)

You would change kernals if you want to OC or streamline sor speed basically.

Flash is kinda like install.. but proper term for what your doing is flashing.. Google for more.

There's only one recovery for you to worry about and that's Aman Ra.

Don't root, or flash, until you read up enough to be confident.

Cheers

Reactions: MustangDan74

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Again for kernals its about speed really,.running lower volts and CPU speed to raise battery life, or overclocking to make it run faster..

But first try the ROMs as they come as they include a kernal of their own, if you want one of the above... Then install a kernal..

Cheers