After flashing ICS, no way back?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Someone check me on this...from what I've been reading it sounds like once I move over to ICS (nilsp's ice cream business sense in particular) I won't be able to restore any of my GB based nandroids. Is that correct?

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Someone check me on this...from what I've been reading it sounds like once I move over to ICS (nilsp's ice cream business sense in particular) I won't be able to restore any of my GB based nandroids. Is that correct?
So have you made the jump to my ICS ROM?

If you don't want o do the RUU I have provided a flashabale zip so you can run it on the old firmware. Gives the the opportunity to road test it before doing the latest RUU

I always look forward to your feedback.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know you were on AC Nils. I think it bears a little more explanation...and please correct me if I'm wrong. That the latest firmware is essentially incompatible with older ROMs. Unlike the current GB and earlier ICS leaks where you could simply flash the ROM and everything would work fine. If someone were to go to the current ICS leak via RUU they would be "stuck" using that firmware or basically only moving forward rather than jumping back to GB or an earlier ICS leak. Your patch allows the current firmware to operate on the newer leak, thus sparing people the need to make that jump just yet. Am I right?

Reactions: Wanda

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know you were on AC Nils. I think it bears a little more explanation...and please correct me if I'm wrong. That the latest firmware is essentially incompatible with older ROMs. Unlike the current GB and earlier ICS leaks where you could simply flash the ROM and everything would work fine. If someone were to go to the current ICS leak via RUU they would be "stuck" using that firmware or basically only moving forward rather than jumping back to GB or an earlier ICS leak. Your patch allows the current firmware to operate on the newer leak, thus sparing people the need to make that jump just yet. Am I right?
You can actually flash a GB ROM or nand back to a GB ROM as long as you flash the kernel (boot.img) with it. You will still have the latest radio but reports are that GB runs fine with it.

Oh yeah, I do lurk here :D

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So have you made the jump to my ICS ROM?

If you don't want o do the RUU I have provided a flashabale zip so you can run it on the old firmware. Gives the the opportunity to road test it before doing the latest RUU

I always look forward to your feedback.

Hey man. Yeah I'm on it right now with the patch and it's really sweet, with the exception of the SMS lag that I had PM'd you about on XDA (screen name Vref over there)

I figured all the new ROM's are going to be based on the last leak so I might as well update and not really worry about going back but I had an issue trying to RUU it last night. Got the phone relocked and I had the RUU renamed PH98IMG.zip on my external SD card. So after relocking I try to reboot into hboot to let it find the update (the ruu right?) and run it but it never found it. After that all I could get it to do was boot to either fastboot or Hboot...couldn't get into the phone to check the SD to make sure I had named it right and couldn't get to recovery to restore my nand. Went to bed expecting to have to buy a card reader so I could check my SD to make sure the file had the right name when it occured to me in my sleep that I could just re-unlock the phone and that would probably take care of it. 2am I hop out of bed and gave it a whirl and it did work...so now I'm back on your ROM with the patch again. Really not sure where I went wrong. Do I have to have the stock recovery to run the RUU as a PH98IMG update? I'm a bit confused.

I appreciate you helping me out on TWO different sites!! That's why you're the man!!

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey man. Yeah I'm on it right now with the patch and it's really sweet, with the exception of the SMS lag that I had PM'd you about on XDA (screen name Vref over there)

I figured all the new ROM's are going to be based on the last leak so I might as well update and not really worry about going back but I had an issue trying to RUU it last night. Got the phone relocked and I had the RUU renamed PH98IMG.zip on my external SD card. So after relocking I try to reboot into hboot to let it find the update (the ruu right?) and run it but it never found it. After that all I could get it to do was boot to either fastboot or Hboot...couldn't get into the phone to check the SD to make sure I had named it right and couldn't get to recovery to restore my nand. Went to bed expecting to have to buy a card reader so I could check my SD to make sure the file had the right name when it occured to me in my sleep that I could just re-unlock the phone and that would probably take care of it. 2am I hop out of bed and gave it a whirl and it did work...so now I'm back on your ROM with the patch again. Really not sure where I went wrong. Do I have to have the stock recovery to run the RUU as a PH98IMG update? I'm a bit confused.

I appreciate you helping me out on TWO different sites!! That's why you're the man!!
Nope, the RUU will actually put the stock recovery back.

As long as it's named right with just 1 .zip all you need to do is power off and do the power and vol - routine and it should see it. May need to tap power when the bootloader screen comes up.

Don't forget, once it starts it needs to boot a second time to finish and be patient inbetween as it may seem like forever on the white screen.

Reactions: Wanda

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question. The Team BAMF site has a very detailed walkthrough for knuckleheads like myself. It recommends using the NON-prerooted RUU, but to do that you have to be locked right? Could I run the prerooted version without having to re-lock?

I'm currently downloading the non-prerooted version and getting read to relock and have another go at it.

Edit: Disregard the previous question...I've already gotten further than I did last night. I re-downloaded the Unrooted version of the RUU this time on my Mac and renamed it and so far so good. Doing the recommended "second flash" of the RUU to make sure it writes everything properly. It must have just been a bad download I guess.

Edit: Flashing your ROM after the RUU, and new Amon-Ra install...all going well.

Edit: Booting into your ROM now Nils. Thanks to you and Mr. Anderson and the Team BAMF website for the help and step by step instructions!! Now time to grab another pint and start the setup phase!

Last edited:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question. The Team BAMF site has a very detailed walkthrough for knuckleheads like myself. It recommends using the NON-prerooted RUU, but to do that you have to be locked right? Could I run the prerooted version without having to re-lock?

I'm currently downloading the non-prerooted version and getting read to relock and have another go at it.

Edit: Disregard the previous question...I've already gotten further than I did last night. I re-downloaded the Unrooted version of the RUU this time on my Mac and renamed it and so far so good. Doing the recommended "second flash" of the RUU to make sure it writes everything properly. It must have just been a bad download I guess.

Edit: Flashing your ROM after the RUU, and new Amon-Ra install...all going well.

Edit: Booting into your ROM now Nils. Thanks to you and Mr. Anderson and the Team BAMF website for the help and step by step instructions!! Now time to grab another pint and start the setup phase!

standing_ovation.jpg

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Fantastic. I am glad you went the un-rooted version since the rooted version has problems and also does not update everything like the stock one.

Have fun and keep me posted.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man. So far after just loading it up it's running great. NO SMS lag at all. Yesterday before I did the RUU it was taking about 4 seconds to open a message after I had gone to "Messages"...doesn't sound long but I've never seen it take more than a half a second to open the messages app.

Only "issue" is that I didn't copy my internal SD contents over and back again so bye bye Titanium backups and more importantly all my Angry Birds content:mad: But that's self inflicted stupidity soooo nothing anyone can do about that.

Thanks again everyone.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hang on - I'm new to this phone and I'm confused. I was told that if I flashed the latest firmware 3.11.605.22 that I was stuck on it. I thought I had flashed the zip that would allow me to keep the old firware when I flashed Clean Rom 4.3 but I screwed up somewhere.

I was under the impression that I was now stuck on this firmware. Is this not true? If not, can someone please walk a moron (me) through the process of putting the old firmware back into this phone? I have a nandroid I made prior to flashing Clean Rom 4.3 so all I would need to get that to work is the gingerbread boot image...correct?

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hang on - I'm new to this phone and I'm confused. I was told that if I flashed the latest firmware 3.11.605.22 that I was stuck on it. I thought I had flashed the zip that would allow me to keep the old firware when I flashed Clean Rom 4.3 but I screwed up somewhere.

I was under the impression that I was now stuck on this firmware. Is this not true? If not, can someone please walk a moron (me) through the process of putting the old firmware back into this phone? I have a nandroid I made prior to flashing Clean Rom 4.3 so all I would need to get that to work is the gingerbread boot image...correct?

Your stuck on the new firmware if you falsh the RUU until we get S-OFF but you are not stuck on the ROM

And yes, you can flash anyone of our ICS ROM's on the old firmware with the patch we provided if you don't want to do the RUU.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908