Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: In need of help majorly..HTC Rezound possibly bricked

Ok. I will follow your advise and give that a go. Sounds good.

Now, forgive me but I need to ask a couple "dumb" questions. I guess I'm still considered a newb, even though I've been tinkering with root for over a year. My DInc totally spoiled me because it was so easy to work on and I got it late when there was already a lot of development put into it. Most of what I wanted to do could be flashed right on the phone either through recovery or bootloader, so I never really got into using fastboot, adb or sdk. Only now have I really had a need so I'm learning on the fly.

When you say manually, do you mean download a zip, extract the necessary file(s) and flash through fastboot? I now know how to do that, I just need to learn the terminology and the general protocols.

Another thing that has occurred is the ***TAMPERED*** thing that's directly over the ***UNLOCKED*** title in my bootloader. Is that a problem and is there a way I can get rid of it.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RuLEoF2 View Post
    Ok. I will follow your advise and give that a go. Sounds good.

Now, forgive me but I need to ask a couple "dumb" questions. I guess I'm still considered a newb, even though I've been tinkering with root for over a year. My DInc totally spoiled me because it was so easy to work on and I got it late when there was already a lot of development put into it. Most of what I wanted to do could be flashed right on the phone either through recovery or bootloader, so I never really got into using fastboot, adb or sdk. Only now have I really had a need so I'm learning on the fly.

When you say manually, do you mean download a zip, extract the necessary file(s) and flash through fastboot? I now know how to do that, I just need to learn the terminology and the general protocols.

Another thing that has occurred is the ***TAMPERED*** thing that's directly over the ***UNLOCKED*** title in my bootloader. Is that a problem and is there a way I can get rid of it.
    In reference to flashing the kernel manually, yes. Some dev's have it set up so that when you flash the ROM you also need to manually push the kernel to the phone through Fastboot, such as the BAMF ROM and some of the Sense 4.0 ROMs too.

Other ROMs will automatically take you to Hboot after the ROM has flashed and it will ask you if you want to run the update, by selecting yes you're allowing the kernel (the PH98IMG.zip file that is on the SD card after the ROM flashed) to update and install. If you don't remove the file afterwards, Hboot will still see the file and think you want to update. It makes it very hard to get into recovery and can cause problems, that's why after you flash the ROM and kernel you want to get it off the card...I'd suggest moving to a safe location with a label so you know what kernel it is if you decide to swap ROMs and need the kernel to do a restore if things go wrong.

Try flashing a ROM that auto boots to Hboot for the kernel install. I prefer Nil's Business ICS and RezROM. Both very good very stable ICS ROMs

The tampered thing...well we're all just kinda stuck with it. Think of it as a badge of honor.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

ROM
    Stock 2.3.6

I would love to do this but still not able to root the leaked ICS update...so many different ways its confusing the crap outta me ugh..

I just tried MikROM twice and it failed both times. The installation started, ran for a bit then said "Error" and then "Installation aborted". I did another wipe and tried RezROM and it went through, but not quite as described on the .

The last step said that the phone would reboot into the bootloader, which it did. I selected bootloader as instructed but there were no prompts. I waited a good couple minutes and decided to reboot. It booted ok and it seems to be working, so I guess I'm ok. I'll give it a run for a while and see how I like it. I was using Skyraider4.3 on my incredible and I'm hoping to find something with a lot of the same features.

Thanks a lot for your help and your patience. I really do appreciate it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

ROM
    Stock 2.3.6

I just tried MikROM twice and it failed both times. The installation started, ran for a bit then said "Error" and then "Installation aborted". I did another wipe and tried RezROM and it went through, but not quite as described on the .

The last step said that the phone would reboot into the bootloader, which it did. I selected bootloader as instructed but there were no prompts. I waited a good couple minutes and decided to reboot. It booted ok and it seems to be working, so I guess I'm ok. I'll give it a run for a while and see how I like it. I was using Skyraider4.3 on my incredible and I'm hoping to find something with a lot of the same features.

Still doesn't answer that I cant get my phone rooted on the ICS leak..been having trouble with it...

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Hmm...makes me think the MikROM was a bad download. I've never seen it do that on an install before unless the file was corrupted.

As far as the Hboot not reading the PH98IMG file, that sounds weird too. Check and see if it's there on your SD card or not.

Skyraider was a really sweet ROM and I would have stuck with it forever had Gingerbread not come to town. Unfortunately there really isn't a ROM out there now for the Rezound that has that "just the right mix" of AOSP and Sense. Though in the RezROM tweeks you can use the ICS AOSP unlock screen but you loose the functionality of the Sense unlock screen i.e. music controls, shortcuts (except the camera) and ability to answer calls without unlocking first.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123