[GUIDE] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Do i need to unlock and root to get the new ICS leak?! And where is the legit newest ICS leak download? All i want to do is flash flash ICS..

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Do i need to unlock and root to get the new ICS leak?! And where is the legit newest ICS leak download? All i want to do is flash flash ICS..

Nope. Just drop the ICS leak on your external SD card. Make sure it's named PH98IMG.zip and reboot into HBOOT(power down, then power up holding power + volume down). It will automatically take it from there.

If you have questions start here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/rezound-rooting-roms-hacks/172783-how-flash-leaked-ruu.html

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues....this is what I see...

WvCqY.jpg

5xorg.jpg

Did I install it incorrectly?

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Now will this wipe my phone? And will i be able to get the official release when it gets pushed?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Now will this wipe my phone? And will i be able to get the official release when it gets pushed?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Generally you can still take OTA's if you are simply unlocked and rooted, although it will unroot your phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues....this is what I see...

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Did I install it incorrectly?

The full SDK isn't installed at this point. All you have is the first part. You still need to run the SDK manager and actually install the rest. If you want the quick and dirty version try this: http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/android-minisdk.zip. In this zip you'll find adb, fastboot and the necessary dll's. Nothing more, nothing less but exactly what you need to unlock and install a custom recovery.

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
well i backed everything up and started the flash download which said it would take 3 hours so then for some reason it stopped downloading and now when i try to download it it takes 5 seconds and says the zip is invalid...im using the mirror from android police..

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Just drop the ICS leak on your external SD card. Make sure it's named PH98IMG.zip and reboot into HBOOT(power down, then power up holding power + volume down). It will automatically take it from there.

If you have questions start here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/rezound-rooting-roms-hacks/172783-how-flash-leaked-ruu.html

I saw in your FAQ that when you change the name it HAS TO BE DONE with a file manager does that mean i can't just do it after i drop it in the SD card or do i have to do it with a file manager app on my phone then HBOOT?

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The full SDK isn't installed at this point. All you have is the first part. You still need to run the SDK manager and actually install the rest. If you want the quick and dirty version try this: http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/android-minisdk.zip. In this zip you'll find adb, fastboot and the necessary dll's. Nothing more, nothing less but exactly what you need to unlock and install a custom recovery.

Gotcha...well I cheated I went to XDA and downloaded their noobie program. It worked just fine.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this thread!

I went from a bone stock Rezound yesterday, to unlocked, rooted, S-OFF, running ICS firmware with Nils' Business ICS ROM and working (with WPA2) WiFi Tether today.

For those that follow, if you want to get to the same place that I am, here are the high level steps I had to go through.

- followed the instructions given here to unlock (using HTCDev tool).

- followed instructions here to root (which involves installing Amon Ra Recovery)

At this point, I tried to setup WiFi Tether and found that it will only work with the stock ROM with no encryption.

- used the wire trick to get S-OFF. Worked first time, no problem. This returned my phone boot loader to LOCKED.

- Installed the latest ICS RUU (3.14.605.5). This blew away Amon Ra Recovery

- Unlocked phone again.

- Installed Amon Ra Recovery again, but did not go through the steps for rooting again.

- Installed Nils' Business ICS Sense ROM (v4.1 for S-OFF).

- Installed WiFi Tether for Rezound (from a thread on XDA). Somewhere in there root status was preserved or else Nils' ROM was pre-rooted (probably the latter).

In retrospect, I probably could have skipped the first time around of unlocking and rooting, but oh, well. If I had known then that WiFi Tether wouldn't work with the stock ROM, I probably would have tried that route. Fortunately, those 2 steps are quick and easy (i.e. takes a minute or 2).

BeatUpRoadSign

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you thank you thank you! After 3 hours and only a few starts and stops my Rezound is unlocked, rooted and running Business Sense! I'm no developer and I couldn't have done it without this post! Thank you!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am unlocked and rooted, running stock Rom and using the WiFi tether app and it works perfectly....only reason I rooted!

Oh, I re read that post and see you were talking about encryption which I haven't tried. I just choose who I want to allow to connect. I will have to try encryption to see if it works on mine or not...

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Last edited:

pranoovmagu

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm at the rooting part of Mr.Smith's guide and at this part "Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
Fastboot reboot-bootloader" it tells me that the recovery img file cannot be loaded. What do I do?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So to install the boot.img for Newts One XXX, since it is named "sense4_boot.img" what is the correct command?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So to install the boot.img for Newts One XXX, since it is named "sense4_boot.img" what is the correct command?

fastboot flash boot sense4_boot.img. The thing is that if you use this command you need to have fastboot and sense4_boot.img in the same directory.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Help! I just followed the guide exactly. I got my phone unlocked and installed Amon recovery. Went to developers tools and installed su and superuser, rebooted. Went to the Market and installed SuperSU since I am on the current ICS leak. When I do a root check, it tells me I am not rooted. I also cannot get the updates installed on SuperSU. I am not rooted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital