Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tmettler5
  • 1 Post By tmettler5
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

Default Disappointed

I went with the rezound over the nexus because the hardware is superior, but it seems that everything is so locked down that from a Rom/Mod standpoint everything is so complex or limited. Either stuff doesn't work, or looks like everything else (please...CM9...oh please, oh please, oh please...). Am I missing something? Or do I just need to do more legwork and figure stuff out. I came from the Incredible, and it seemed like rooting and flashing was so easy that I could do it in my car on my way to work...

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

I agree I have rooted and romd several phone and for some reason the rezound stuff makes my brain hurt lol
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: Disappointed

ROM'ing on the Rezound mostly requires a PC until S-Off is done. Until then, get used to it. It's not that bad.

If you want CM9, then head over to XDA and donate your time/money to protekk and dmeadows. They're the ones working on bringing CM9 to the Rezound.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

By the way, this was not a slam on devs...I think the device is limited...not them. Luv on the devs.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous

yes, right this minute with Gingerbread, things are limited.

I did HTC Unlock, then took the leaked IceCreamSandwich RUU from Android Police,
    and one thing that stands out: with the next real update to this beast,
    ICS will give you the ability to freeze and not see/start programs you don't want.
    Until S-0ff comes, that will be very good. Then, if you are adventurous, you'll be
    able to put custom roms on it to further customize - if removing apps isnt enuf......
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

I am already unlocked, on the leaked firmware, rooted, and running Scott's Clean PE Rom 4.2.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

I think we have lots of options even without S-off. I thought I had seen an AOSP ROM somewhere and there are two Sense 4.0 ROMs to chose from, plus quite a few Sense 3.6's and of course GB based. Seems pretty good to me.

May not be as easy to crack into as the Gnex is but I'll take a few extra steps and some basic command prompt entry's on a solid feeling device over the alternative (I'm not actually going to go any further with the comment cause someone commented on the Gnex the other day and it blew up into a troll-war-situation).
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

I guess I am just having a little adjustment pains coming from a Dinc. Everything was so easy. I could change ROMs the way other people changed light bulbs. With the Rez, it feels like changing ROMs depends on which day it is and if it is an odd month and Saturn is in the house of Capricorn and I need to sacrifice a live chicken and do a little dance. I am sure it will get easier as I get more familiar with it. I just am not there yet. For example, I think I am supposed to rename a ROM to PH98IMG.zip, but I am not sure anymore. And are kernels part of ROMs, or do you flash them separately?

I love the hardware, and love that it is beautiful and sleek to look at. Now I just want it to behave more like a drunk sorority girl...
    318sugarhill likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

Ok...i have overcome my fear and have been doing some playing...please forgive my rantings!

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tmettler5 View Post
    Ok...i have overcome my fear and have been doing some playing...please forgive my rantings!
    It's all good man. It does take some adjustment. I held off buying a Rezound until I knew it could be rooted. And you're right, coming from the Inc, the Rezound is a bit more work to flash ROMs but like you said, once you get used to it, it's really easy. When I first rooted the Rezound I didn't like the layout of Amon-Ra but now that I"m comfortable with it I think I like it even more than CWM.

There are a couple of catchs like not being able to go back to GB ROMs easily once you step up to ICS but other than that it's pretty straightforward.

Here's the gouge....unless the dev says so, I wouldn't rename the ROM to the PH98IMG.zip file...thats usually for kernels. Most dev's will either include the kernel in the ROM package or post it seperatly but let everyone know it's posted seperately...so you'd flash like this, get the ROM on your SD, go to Amon-Ra, do the data wipes and stuff, flash the ROM as a .zip in recovery then, quite a few ROMs will automatically reboot to Hboot for the kernel install...just follow the prompts in Hboot to do the update and the kernel will flash. Then reboot into the ROM and you're done.

Now, if you had to download the kernel seperately and put it seperatly on the Sd card, after flashing the ROM while still in Amon-Ra, go to the developer menu (second from the bottom on the main menu's I think) and you should see a list of options to boot into fastboot, hboot etc...just have it boot into Hboot and then once in Hboot say yes to the update and the kernel will flash.

It's different and is a couple extra steps but once your down with it, it's not that bad really.

Oh, and Nandroid, Nandroid, Nandroid!!! (not that you didn't know that already)
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

thanks...just growing pains, I think...I did some rom flashing on my old dinc just for grins...sigh. It's like an old comfy hat.
    318sugarhill likes this.

I'll be honest with you, as a former Dinc owner, I'm disappointed too. I liked flashing roms and kernels by zip file. Hopefully S-off will be attained someday. I just rooted it tonight finally, and all I want at this point (other my Dinc battery life back!) is to restore things like my wifi access points and game data from my dinc.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    I'll be honest with you, as a former Dinc owner, I'm disappointed too. I liked flashing roms and kernels by zip file. Hopefully S-off will be attained someday. I just rooted it tonight finally, and all I want at this point (other my Dinc battery life back!) is to restore things like my wifi access points and game data from my dinc.
    Congrats on getting your feet wet, tonight. Fret not, my child, if your unaware of your good fortune. The illustrious Mr.Smith reported S-Off has been achieved and the hacker will likely release the method after the official release of ICS. Holding off on it, out of fear the engineers might do something to patch the exploit if released beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    Congrats on getting your feet wet, tonight. Fret not, my child, if your unaware of your good fortune. The illustrious Mr.Smith reported S-Off has been achieved and the hacker will likely release the method after the official release of ICS. Holding off on it, out of fear the engineers might do something to patch the exploit if released beforehand.
    I thought I had read that somewhere, but I didn't want to blurt it out there if I was wrong. I remember rooting my Dinc the first time......the virgin like fear of breaking my awesome phone..... Last night was the first time I had more than 20 minutes to myself to actually sit down and do it. Dummy me forgot it completely wipes the phone afterwards! (the unlocking anyway). It's nice to have my wifi access points back. Going to poker game tonight at a buddy's house who keeps his wifi locked up tighter than......well, he doesn't give out the password anymore, but I had it my Dinc from 2 years ago. If there is anything I do, after a nandroid backup, I do a wifi access point backup

Is is necessary to pull the battery before going into the boatloader to enter recovery each time? Not really a huge fan of Amon Ra recovery, but until S-off is released, I'm not going to put CWR on it.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I thought I had read that somewhere, but I didn't want to blurt it out there if I was wrong. I remember rooting my Dinc the first time......the virgin like fear of breaking my awesome phone..... Last night was the first time I had more than 20 minutes to myself to actually sit down and do it. Dummy me forgot it completely wipes the phone afterwards! (the unlocking anyway). It's nice to have my wifi access points back. Going to poker game tonight at a buddy's house who keeps his wifi locked up tighter than......well, he doesn't give out the password anymore, but I had it my Dinc from 2 years ago. If there is anything I do, after a nandroid backup, I do a wifi access point backup

Is is necessary to pull the battery before going into the boatloader to enter recovery each time? Not really a huge fan of Amon Ra recovery, but until S-off is released, I'm not going to put CWR on it.
    Turn off fastboot in settings -> Power . Then you can do it all without a battery pull. Also grab quick boot from the market it lets you reboot directly into recovery.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Not really a huge fan of Amon Ra recovery, but until S-off is released, I'm not going to put CWR on it.
    I felt that way at first too but now that I'm used to it I really like Amon-Ra. I like being able to access the SD cards from recovery with out having to boot into the ROM...that feature has already saved my **** a few times!! I also like being able to boot from recovery to Fastboot/Hboot. I'm not sure if CWM has those features as well cause I never really had the need to use them but it makes flashing and "fixing" what ever I've done to it easier.