CleanRom ICS 4.3

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you install the newer versions (anything after 4.3 I belive) you will need the old firmware patch. Scott has baked the patch into the install. So you should see the prompt.

Reactions: scrosler

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm gonna jump in to the ROM, just like when i got my DX with froyo the monkeys on my back and i need to update the phone, I do have one question on the "Old Firmware". If I have a completely stock phone and want to install the CleanRom, is it required to run the old firmware patch?

thanks in advance

Yes. The patch is for people that have not upgraded to the new firmware via the leaked RUU. If you are completely stock then you must flash the patch in addition to the ROM. Or upgrade your firmware by running the RUU.

antirice

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sooo,
I have 2 options. Load up the leaked ICS, then load up the CleanROM without having to load the "old firmware" or load the CleanRom and take the extra step and run the "old firmware" patch. Right?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Sooo,
I have 2 options. Load up the leaked ICS, then load up the CleanROM without having to load the "old firmware" or load the CleanRom and take the extra step and run the "old firmware" patch. Right?

Be advised, doing the RUU update is quite a few steps but in my opinion is worth the extra effort. I had issues with Nils Business ICS using the patch but being.up the new firmware took care of it. Plus all ICS ROMS will be based on the new firmware anyway. The catch is that its not so easy to go back to GB based ROMS. I would suggest reading the process through and then deciding. Of course you could always do the patch and if it doesn't work as well then try the RUU.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Can you post a link of the benefits of the leaked ICS firmware please?

Sent from a J3d? M!nd Tr?ck via Tapatalk

Don't think there is one..if there is I never read it.

Benefits include newer firmware (newer is always better right?)

Newer radios.

All the ICS ROM's going forward are going to be based on this or the next "latest leak" if there is one so why not upgrade? Gingerbread was fun but for a dual core phone, ICS is where it's at. I think all the bugs have been worked out of the ICS ROM's and the only ones that are still buggy are the ICS/Sense 4.0 ones.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
if your going to flash the patch, pull your sdcard out go into recovery the patch is the cleanrom folder,flash and your good to go

Reactions: scrosler

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Be advised, doing the RUU update is quite a few steps but in my opinion is worth the extra effort. I had issues with Nils Business ICS using the patch but being.up the new firmware took care of it. Plus all ICS ROMS will be based on the new firmware anyway. The catch is that its not so easy to go back to GB based ROMS. I would suggest reading the process through and then deciding. Of course you could always do the patch and if it doesn't work as well then try the RUU.

At this time there is no real benfit. In the fture when the firmware becomes final build I will no longer be including any old firmware patches. Well maybe I will to be nice. But we will see...

Can you post a link of the benefits of the leaked ICS firmware please?

Sent from a J3d? M!nd Tr?ck via Tapatalk

What he said
|
|
|
\/

Don't think there is one..if there is I never read it.

Benefits include newer firmware (newer is always better right?)

Newer radios.

All the ICS ROM's going forward are going to be based on this or the next "latest leak" if there is one so why not upgrade? Gingerbread was fun but for a dual core phone, ICS is where it's at. I think all the bugs have been worked out of the ICS ROM's and the only ones that are still buggy are the ICS/Sense 4.0 ones.

if your going to flash the patch, pull your sdcard out go into recovery the patch is the cleanrom folder,flash and your good to go

Its best to flash the patch right after flashing the rom that way you dont have to worry about the PH98IMG.zip issue. The instuctions I posted, if followed verbatim, work perfectly. People just forget to read. I even put the instructions IN the updater script and people still ignore it! Yes, the updater script has instructions too!

Peace!

-Scott

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I finally got in the mood, threw on the headphones and got to the bussiness of unlocking/rooting/rommin my Rezound. I chose CleanRom and I am impressed. It feels factory fast, without the bloat. Hate to use the term, but its clean and it gives you ICS now...RIGHT NOW! :)

The process of rooting and romming this phone is nowhere near as daunting as some people make it sound. Follow the directions....exactly and yull have no problems.

Thank you Scott. Guys like you make the tinkering possible, you make it fun...I appriciate it.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I finally got in the mood, threw on the headphones and got to the bussiness of unlocking/rooting/rommin my Rezound. I chose CleanRom and I am impressed. It feels factory fast, without the bloat. Hate to use the term, but its clean and it gives you ICS now...RIGHT NOW! :)

The process of rooting and romming this phone is nowhere near as daunting as some people make it sound. Follow the directions....exactly and yull have no problems.

Thank you Scott. Guys like you make the tinkering possible, you make it fun...I appriciate it.

agreed, i was a nervous wreck coming from my DX when it came to unlocking/rooting/romming this phone. it definitely not as bad as it reads, but is also a bit more technical than with my moto DX.

now my next step is to S-off. Have yet to read up enough on it yet to understand what it would do to my current setup running CR 4.3. i'm happy where i'm at, don't want to lose this rom.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
agreed, i was a nervous wreck coming from my DX when it came to unlocking/rooting/romming this phone. it definitely not as bad as it reads, but is also a bit more technical than with my moto DX.

now my next step is to S-off. Have yet to read up enough on it yet to understand what it would do to my current setup running CR 4.3. i'm happy where i'm at, don't want to lose this rom.

Just remember that the only REAL benefit to S-Off is that you can go backward on the firmware. So if you're not comfortable with the process maybe stick to HTCDev unlock.

Reactions: unklsckness

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Just remember that the only REAL benefit to S-Off is that you can go backward on the firmware. So if you're not comfortable with the process maybe stick to HTCDev unlock.

yep, i just don't see any real "need" for me to do it right now. i guess i shouldn't say i would be uncomfortable with it. just last week i took my Rezound completely apart and colored my LED's so that the capacitive buttons shine a nice deep dark red instead of the pinkish look they have. if i can do that i'm pretty sure i can handle the s-off procedure ;) just dont see any need right now.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Was the last time you rooted a DX via ADB? You do know there's the Z4 root app that lets you one click root the DX right?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
sure do, thats why i said the to root a rezound is a bit more technical. i don't think it could possibly be easier to root a Droid X.

IMHO, everyone should have at least one phone that forces them to learn the "hard way" of rooting/ROM'ing.

If every few generations someone didn't try to re-invent the wheel, there'd never be any new wheels.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, everyone should have at least one phone that forces them to learn the "hard way" of rooting/ROM'ing.

If every few generations someone didn't try to re-invent the wheel, there'd never be any new wheels.

I've learned an ENORMOUS amount in the last week BECAUSE this device requires you to really investigate everything you do before you do it. I haven't had the command prompt open on this computer more so than I have this week. I've also broken the phone two dozen times and fixed it. Now that we have S-OFF, other than the fear of the vaunted brick, you can fix whatever mistakes you make by RUU'ing back to shipping stock...which ironically is where I am right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy