Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Default Re: S-Off .... We have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Here's the question...was it worth it? Did it change the way you handle "business"? Believe me, I understand the rewards of S-Off. I actually kind of miss it sometimes when I'm theme'ing.
    Nope, hasn't changed the way I handle my bidness, yet, but I believe it will in the future. I think the dev's will be setting their ROMs up to be able to take advantage of it going forward and for me, it's worth it to be able to take advantage of that.

Worst case scenario if it went bad was I have to buy a new phone, obviously not ideal and I'm not a Rockafeller but since I had backed up my internal storage and I was using a blank SD card it really didn't seem that big of a deal. I had way more issues upgrading to the ICS firmware (bad RUU download).

I'm not suggesting this method is for everyone but I weighed the consequences, took the risk, and made it though. Will it be worth it, only time will tell but it will sure be nice to Nandroid back to whatever I want regardless of the ROMs base on the fly. For a serial flasher it's gonna make life much easier.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    MrSmith317 likes this.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Nope, hasn't changed the way I handle my bidness, yet, but I believe it will in the future. I think the dev's will be setting their ROMs up to be able to take advantage of it going forward and for me, it's worth it to be able to take advantage of that.

Worst case scenario if it went bad was I have to buy a new phone, obviously not ideal and I'm not a Rockafeller but since I had backed up my internal storage and I was using a blank SD card it really didn't seem that big of a deal. I had way more issues upgrading to the ICS firmware (bad RUU download).

I'm not suggesting this method is for everyone but I weighed the consequences, took the risk, and made it though. Will it be worth it, only time will tell but it will sure be nice to Nandroid back to whatever I want regardless of the ROMs base on the fly. For a serial flasher it's gonna make life much easier.
    I know you know how this all works. And just you posting that hopefully helps someone thinking about going through the current S-Off method.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by:
    Wanda 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Being a serial flasher on my other phones, I know I am going to end up going this route.

One thing of note, somewhere (and I cannot look it up now) I read that one (or one team) of the ROMs is going to be doing packages for both s-on and s-off users.

Obviously the s-off users will have more control, but s-on users will still be able to get some custom goodness.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Being a serial flasher on my other phones, I know I am going to end up going this route.

One thing of note, somewhere (and I cannot look it up now) I read that one (or one team) of the ROMs is going to be doing packages for both s-on and s-off users.

Obviously the s-off users will have more control, but s-on users will still be able to get some custom goodness.
    All of the ROM devs should package only for S-Off. The S-On crowd will need to go the extra step of extracting boot.img and manually flashing, or stuffing it into PH98IMG.zip.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    All of the ROM devs should package only for S-Off. The S-On crowd will need to go the extra step of extracting boot.img and manually flashing, or stuffing it into PH98IMG.zip.
    not really my call, but I sorta agree with you. I am just repeating what I had seen over on the other site somewhere (pretty sure it was jonez, but that could change now that he has teamed up with |||bored||| and the rest of that gang.

I just finished doing the s-off. Took longer than I anticipated, but that was ALL me. Once I got the right wire and the timing down, it worked flawlessly.

Changed the splash screen already, but that's it, now I just have to see if I can hold out for ICS before tinkering with the ROM.

knowing me, the over/under on how long it will take me to flash my first rom is under 5 days, but I am gonna try to hold out....S4 is calling though

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

My post was borne more out of hopeful ignorance than anything else! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    I didn't know they were working on it or even had made any progress. Last message I saw from them was from back in December.

EDIT: from what I read, Unrevoked has collaberated on the Revolutionary tool that this J-bear/wire trick takes the place of. To me that means they were unsuccessful in implementing any other way of getting it done, leaving us with the process we have now.

I'm giving the process another thought. Seems like most of the dev's have gone through the process which means they'll be setting up their ROMs for S-Off. It sure would make flashing/restoring a lot easier.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    --Wayne Gretzky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12