S-Off .... We have it!!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like all the time spent playing this game, will finally be put to use by those of us who aren't MDs.
operation_game1.jpeg

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Read up on it. It requires shorting the system to cause "service mode" . I'm personally not cool with that and can get by just fine with unlock.

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's all that bad. Everyone who encountered any problems was almost immediately helped out by their forum members and others on IRC. I will read some more over there this morning, but as of last night I don't think anyone had a unrecoverable brick. I also think the people who worked on this long hours for everyone deserve thanks. I guess it might not be for everybody. Just my 2 cents. :)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep, they definitely deserve some props for the hard work.

But after just taking a precursory glance at some of the threads on XDA I'm going to pass for now...seems like a lot of risk. I mean, some people had problems just running the last RUU and getting re-unlocked and rooted...I can't imagine the issues intentionally shorting the phone out might cause when done improperly. You know someone's not going to use an insulated wire or somebody's going to be scuffing around on their carpet just before they sit down to try without discharging the static buildup.

I'm still holding out hope for an easier solution.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually spent a good portion of the afternoon trying this. I could NOT get the wire trick to work. I gave up. For some reason, my phone would not accept the two wire touch. I had all kinds of problems too, but all were fixable. The original ROM I was running is back on the phone in working order. No beer for me.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya, this sort of thing I wait for. I usually only wait a week, but I try to keep up on the threads so I know what not to do, and what to watch out for, how to fix things, etc. Helped when I ran the leaked RUU, I got stuck on the HTC screen, but realized, because I read for a week, I forgot to let it run twice. So hooray for reading.
So I'll be shorting crap out probably next weekend. Besides, what am I gonna do with it right now anyway? There are no roms set up for it, my leaked radio works fine, and I reset my phone only after flashing roms, so I'm not all that concerned about the splash screen.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I ended up with success here. The culprit was what I was using to short the system out. I found that the paperclip trick just did not work (I tried several clips). I used very low grade speaker wire - white to white - and it hit the 2nd time I tried. I also found I needed to have a functioning SD card (if you fail, it wipes the card and the card is not readable - you will need to quickly format the card in a reader on your PC and stick it back in) and an active working recovery. Any time I tried this with a missing recovery it would fail. If the SD was unformatted, it also would not work. I have no idea if any or both of these things were attritubing to the failure, but once all of the pieces were in place (low grade speaker wire, working recovery, functioning SD card) the S-OFF trick worked and I was successful.

Good luck to anyone looking to do this. It looks a lot scarier than it is. There are ZERO reports of bricks - some soft bricks, but all have been fixable. Just make sure you are using some kind of insulated wire - do not use uninsulated wire in the event you have accumulated static electricity. THAT would brick your phone for sure.

mrksbrd

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone needing assistance with this can go to webchat.freenode.net #JuopunutBear Guys are super helpful and process is really easy. Program you download is very simple and does pretty much everything for you besides the "wire trick", I've done it to mine and didn't have one issue.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
With the value and importance of my phone, I think obtaining S-OFF looks more like defusing a bomb to me than just playing Operation haha :p

I'm usually gung-ho for these kind of activities, but I'm going to wait on this one until Scrosler decides it's necessary for his ROMs.

whtciv2k

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I know it sounds bad and looks hard but overall it isn't so bad. I spent a lot of time just trying to get to the point where it asks to do the wire trick. this was the problem I was having and that many others are having over at XDA.

Not ONE person has bricked their phoes over at XDA by doing this procedure.

It took me 3 days and trying just about everything but I got it to work. It took a lot longer becuase I was hesitant on doing a full factory wipe. Once i did a factory wipe everything just started to work. I ended up doing the wire trick in 1 try. I am now S-OFF and have already flashed back to GB radio's and changed my boot splash screens.

If asked to do another phone, I could probably do it in under 20 minutes. :)

S-OFF ftw!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
After reading the procedure and the report of a brick.. yeah I'm going to pass unless absolutely necessary.

Scoot over and pass me a paddle, I'm in the same boat as you.
I've been outta the game for a while (layed off, got a new job, etc) and didn't really follow up on much news. When I saw S-Off was available for the Rez, I was like "sa-weeet!"
Then I saw the Frankenstein experiment being performed on it and immediately decided to pass. I'm perfectly ok with what I have.

Nanashi1231

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was all excited until I saw the words "wire trick" and all that jazz. Think I'll wait until a more stable method is perfected. Kudos to the brave souls who came up with it, though.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Getting S-Off, really wasn't really that bad. It took me 3 evenings to finally get it to work, but never once did my phone fail to work. Alot of that time was wasted because I did not realize there was something wrong with my old microSD card. Once I reformatted it I was able to make progress. Then the wire trick, was tricky. I tried different types of wire, but ultimately a large paper clip worked perfect, and I did not even insulate it. I have no problems with internal or external SD cards.

Trust me its not that scary or risky. But the process has a learning curve.