Did anybody REALLY do the wire-trick S-OFF???

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ah, okay. Sounds good. If my laptop weren't hating me currently, I'd bring it along with me to work tonight and get to it. :p

Have you done S-Off on any ROMs aside from stock?

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Nope, don't unroot it. Or if a question, flash an appropriate rooted
rom with AmonRa prior to S-Off. One of the first lines in the recipe
is to have a rooted phone with USB debugging enabled.

I wasn't going to unroot it, just return the ROM (since I'm on NeoMAX 1.6), with associated kernel, to stock. Unless you suggest otherwise... This is all extremely new to me. I've only ever dealt with LG and Samsung devices.

rs98hv

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't going to unroot it, just return the ROM (since I'm on NeoMAX 1.6), with associated kernel, to stock. Unless you suggest otherwise... This is all extremely new to me. I've only ever dealt with LG and Samsung devices.

You should be ok with your set up. I would have my boot.img just in case you can't get it and need a phone that works as it will overwrite yours in the process

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You should be ok with your set up. I would have my boot.img just in case you can't get it and need a phone that works as it will overwrite yours in the process

Blah... I've used boot.img files before, but only because the instructions I was following told me to do so. This is frustrating, because there's apparently sooooo much I don't know, which is why I want S-Off. It's nice learning about all this stuff, and what specific things do, but only so long as you guys don't mind taking the time to teach me. If there are specific sites/threads you'd rather refer me to, that's fine. I don't mind reading for hours until I comprehend the subject matter.

So, your saying to have a boot.img file on my SD card, just in case the S-Off process fails do to my current ROM/kernel setup, correct?

P.S. I appreciate all the advice and information you guys have shared with me thus far. :)

rs98hv

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Blah... I've used boot.img files before, but only because the instructions I was following told me to do so. This is frustrating, because there's apparently sooooo much I don't know, which is why I want S-Off. It's nice learning about all this stuff, and what specific things do, but only so long as you guys don't mind taking the time to teach me. If there are specific sites/threads you'd rather refer me to, that's fine. I don't mind reading for hours until I comprehend the subject matter.

So, your saying to have a boot.img file on my SD card, just in case the S-Off process fails do to my current ROM/kernel setup, correct?

P.S. I appreciate all the advice and information you guys have shared with me thus far. :)

Or on your computer so you can fast boot flash it. Which is what I would recommend. Don't worry though. I did it the first night it came out and It's been refined. The hardest part is making good contact with the wire. It should reboot on the first touch with your wire

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Or on your computer so you can fast boot flash it. Which is what I would recommend. Don't worry though. I did it the first night it came out and It's been refined. The hardest part is making good contact with the wire. It should reboot on the first touch with your wire

Cool, thanks. :D

Is the boot.img something I create from backing up my phone? Or, is it something I download? What does the file actually consist of?

I'm such a n00b. >__<

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I kinda have issues with this one. S-Off shouldn't have anything to do with AOSP. It shouldn't be required for any ROM unless they're mixing and matching firmware(which to me is a bad idea anyway). The way I see it the only thing you get from S-Off is the ability to flash ROMs and kernels together and that's merely a time saver...because let's face it, who among us really flashed ICS and said "I think I'll go back to GB, it was so much better"

Just my personal opinion but S-Off is really for serial flashers and I personally don't think the Rezound has enough ROM support for that level of fanaticism. Again, just my 2 cents please treat it as such.

Reactions: phuckwithfire

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I kinda have issues with this one. S-Off shouldn't have anything to do with AOSP. It shouldn't be required for any ROM unless they're mixing and matching firmware(which to me is a bad idea anyway). The way I see it the only thing you get from S-Off is the ability to flash ROMs and kernels together and that's merely a time saver...because let's face it, who among us really flashed ICS and said "I think I'll go back to GB, it was so much better"

Just my personal opinion but S-Off is really for serial flashers and I personally don't think the Rezound has enough ROM support for that level of fanaticism. Again, just my 2 cents please treat it as such.

I agree completely. I mostly wanna do it for the learning experience.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree but I am so used to Sammy and just spending the three click to update everything that it is like second nature to be able to do it that way. Habits are hard to break...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I agree and am glad I stayed s on for so long. It made me learn how to do many things that I would have not have otherwise like manually flashing boot images and such.

Any rom can be flashed s on including aosp. If the dev say it is not supported, then that just means that they haven't taken the time to package the kernel to be flashed in bootloader. You can just extract the boot image and flash it with a computer though.

My only real reason for going s off is to take out the reliance on a computer and to make things quicker when I do choose to jump around.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Reactions: phuckwithfire

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree and am glad I stayed s on for so long. It made me learn how to do many things that I would have not have otherwise like manually flashing boot images and such.

Any rom can be flashed s on including aosp. If the dev say it is not supported, then that just means that they haven't taken the time to package the kernel to be flashed in bootloader. You can just extract the boot image and flash it with a computer though.

My only real reason for going s off is to take out the reliance on a computer and to make things quicker when I do choose to jump around.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Thanks for the advice on the boot image. :)

I may be trying for S-Off later today. Possibly after I drag my lazy ass out of bed. :p

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely. I mostly wanna do it for the learning experience.

There's really not much to learn, except to count to 8 and 1/2 or whatever the wonky timing was. It's not exactly a procedure you're going to be doing over and over like say, locking and unlocking, flashing ROM's or RUU's or fixing a bad flash or something much more common (unless you're piizzadude with multiple phones or a dev or someone other type of nut job.)

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There's really not much to learn, except to count to 8 and 1/2 or whatever the wonky timing was. It's not exactly a procedure you're going to be doing over and over like say, locking and unlocking, flashing ROM's or RUU's or fixing a bad flash or something much more common (unless you're piizzadude with multiple phones or a dev or someone other type of nut job.)

True... But, but it's still something I've never done, so it'd be nice to just get that experience under my belt.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
True... But, but it's still something I've never done, so it'd be nice to just get that experience under my belt.

Don't get me wrong, I like being s-off and it was fun, in fact it was kind of an adrenaline rush not knowing if it was going to brick my phone and how would I fix it if it did, but if your not going to be serial flashing I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08