Should I relock my bootloader?

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
And why?

I was looking at the new RUU Leak, and wanted to give it a try, but it seems you need to either be stock, locked, or S-Off. Do I need to re-lock and unlock my bootloader every time to flash new RUUs?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe that unless you're S-off you need to be locked in order to run the RUU. I don't recall anything about having to be stock, though that may be a pre-requisite to being locked. I think the catch is an RUU is going to install the OEM recovery and in order for it work is has to have a locked bootloader...so you lock, run RUU, it installs the OEM recovery by default. Then you unlock, flash Amon-Ra, reflash whatever ROM you desire and you should be good to go. I'll link the instructions I used when I went through this...some of this may not apply as you may not neccesarily be wanting to flash Team BAMF's ROM, nor will you be using the RUU in the links as I think it's the RUU that came out a few months ago.

As I recall when I ran the upgrade to the ICS firmware from GB I was still using running a custom ROM (Ineffabilis) and had no ill effects. My only botch was that I didn't make a backup of my INTERNAL SD card and it got wiped...bye bye Angry Birds progress...all 4 versions.

Worst case scenario, you lock it, something doesn't jive right, you unlock and you should be good to go.

http://www.teambamf.net/topic/3528-guide-to-install-ics-ruu-and-firmware-windows/

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
So...As my phone stands right now:
Unlocked
Tampered
S-On.
Amon-Ra 3.15

To flash new RUU:
Relock
Wipe
Flash Ruu
Unlock
Flash New Recovery

Correct?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So...As my phone stands right now:
Unlocked
Tampered
S-On.
Amon-Ra 3.15

To flash new RUU:
Relock
Wipe
Flash Ruu
Unlock
Flash New Recovery

Correct?

No need to wipe after the relock. The RUU will do the wiping for you except the external SD, but just in case, make a backup of that too...but DEFINITELY backup your internal SD.

Aside from that, you should be good to go.

Quick note, Step 9 of Install Part 2 has you putting the rcovery.img file into the folder with ADB and all that but don't forget to extract the .img file from the Amon-Ra.zip file you download and rename it to recovery.img. (minus the last period there)

Someone else didn't extract the .img and instead just put the whole .zip on there it got all fouled up.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Man all this is giving me a headache. I miss my Dinc Wanda!!!!! Love the speed of this phone, but I've given up the Rom thing. I'm just hoping that when ICS is official, I'll won't have to relock it just to update. I'm perfectly happy just being rooted. I enjoyed trying Roms, but I can't do the wire trick with a mac, so S-off is a pipe dream for right now, nor do I have the time to put in the required work (since I know squat about windows). I just want to be rooted and the ability to freeze bloatware with titanium. It's sounding like I'm going to have to relock when ICS is official.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Man all this is giving me a headache. I miss my Dinc Wanda!!!!! Love the speed of this phone, but I've given up the Rom thing. I'm just hoping that when ICS is official, I'll won't have to relock it just to update. I'm perfectly happy just being rooted. I enjoyed trying Roms, but I can't do the wire trick with a mac, so S-off is a pipe dream for right now, nor do I have the time to put in the required work (since I know squat about windows). I just want to be rooted and the ability to freeze bloatware with titanium. It's sounding like I'm going to have to relock when ICS is official.

Just flash drive Clearing... All the bloat is removed and you don't need S-off... It's very stable and smooth.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

No doubt. I used Unrevoked to root my Dinc, and never had to think about any of this stuff. I suppose I could just grow a pair and S-off...

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Man all this is giving me a headache. I miss my Dinc Wanda!!!!! Love the speed of this phone, but I've given up the Rom thing. I'm just hoping that when ICS is official, I'll won't have to relock it just to update.

Sorry, I don't check in here as often as the general forum. What's the story behind the towel thrown in the ring, so soon? Is it that they didn't gel with you? How many did you drop in?

I'm perfectly happy just being rooted. I enjoyed trying Roms, but I can't do the wire trick with a mac, so S-off is a pipe dream for right now, nor do I have the time to put in the required work (since I know squat about windows).

I say this in case you gave up hope because you have no direct access to a Windows pc. I'm not a mac guy but from what I recall from reading posts in "flamerville"(x-ends w/ an -a). It can be done w/ a MAC if you have a VM running Windows. Set that up and follow the directions if you desired to do so, you could take a stab at it. It sure was easier to achieve on forebearing HTC phones.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I hear ya man...it certainly isn't as easy as the old Inc but it's still just as fun.

I'm also a Mac guy but I've got boot camp and an old copy of XP on my iMac. I only installed it because my wife HAD to have a certain program for her work and it ran only on windows. If you can get a copy of windows or just borrow someone's laptop for a bit, gaining S-off isn't as hard as people make it seem...though some have had problems to be sure. I was done start to finish in about 15 minutes with my kids running around me at the same time :D It's just a matter of time for all the Dev's to start catering their ROM's for S-off only so in my opinon its worth it...also makes flashing and restoring much easier.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya man...it certainly isn't as easy as the old Inc but it's still just as fun.

I'm also a Mac guy but I've got boot camp and an old copy of XP on my iMac. I only installed it because my wife HAD to have a certain program for her work and it ran only on windows. If you can get a copy of windows or just borrow someone's laptop for a bit, gaining S-off isn't as hard as people make it seem...though some have had problems to be sure. I was done start to finish in about 15 minutes with my kids running around me at the same time :D It's just a matter of time for all the Dev's to start catering their ROM's for S-off only so in my opinon its worth it...also makes flashing and restoring much easier.

My old imac I ran bootcamp, but that was an original intel imac, so it has flown the coop (actually donated to my Mother in law, since her old P.O.S dell didn't even work anymore). I'm rockin a mac air now. No bootcamp as HD space is minimal here. Not even sure I still have a copy of XP around. I'm sure the itch will get me, but I really don't know adb stuff. All the mac guides for terminal have been simple and step by step.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

This was all news to me, Windows running on a Mac, does it run a full version of Windows?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
My old imac I ran bootcamp, but that was an original intel imac, so it has flown the coop (actually donated to my Mother in law, since her old P.O.S dell didn't even work anymore). I'm rockin a mac air now. No bootcamp as HD space is minimal here. Not even sure I still have a copy of XP around. I'm sure the itch will get me, but I really don't know adb stuff. All the mac guides for terminal have been simple and step by step.

Mac air! Nice. I think I have a solution. Cnet had an article with step by step instructions on how to make a bootable windows from a flash drive to be used on a Mac and specifically the MacBook air. It was pretty cool! I'll see if I can find it and link it here.

Here you go!!

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...n-macbook-air-from-a-usb-drive/?tag=mncol;txt

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
This was all news to me, Windows running on a Mac, does it run a full version of Windows?

Yep sure does. Boot camp basically just partitions the hard drive and installs a full version of any Windows OS from XP on up. Its a free program and comes pre installed on all recent Macs (Intel chips and OS 10.5 and up) The VM Fusion ware that runs Parallel for Mac costs extra. The difference being to use the windows side with boot camp you have to shut down the Mac OS and boot into windows. with Parallels you just open a windows "window" while still running Mac OS. The boot camp version is not as convenient but is more stable.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Reactions: humpagardengnome

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers