Gonna do it

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay I decided to do this rooting thing. How long will it take or should I just alott a whole day to deal with it

Peace
Leozdad

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking about 10-15 minutes depending on how quick you get the email from HTCDev.

Rooting about 5 minutes if you're good with fastboot.

ROM'ing will take however long it takes for you to settle on one...if you do.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay I decided to do this rooting thing. How long will it take or should I just alott a whole day to deal with it

Peace
Leozdad

Not long. It took me maybe an hour but only because I'm not real familiar with command prompts. Also when I did it there weren't that many well laid out guides.

It's painless.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Unlock to root, took me nearly an hour and a half but a good half hour of that was spent in a paranoid state, praying that I wouldn't screw the pooch.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking about 10-15 minutes depending on how quick you get the email from HTCDev.

Rooting about 5 minutes if you're good with fastboot.

ROM'ing will take however long it takes for you to settle on one...if you do.

I think i am going to start with scotts cleanrom, seems safe enough beginning, but i still need to read up on the other ones out there ive heard of

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Whew!!! well i freakin did it. Took me about 3 hours. I think its right, seems to be running ok at this point, i can make phone calls.

I do have one thing .... scotts cleanrom doesn't have the verizon backup assist program on the rom. Anyone know where i can get it? i lost all my contacts :)

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
You mean you don't store your contacts on Google? yikes..lol . I'm fairly sure someone else needed this and it's posted in his thread somewhere. Or if you still have the latest leak RUU .zip file I can tell you how to pull it out of there.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You mean you don't store your contacts on Google? yikes..lol . I'm fairly sure someone else needed this and it's posted in his thread somewhere. Or if you still have the latest leak RUU .zip file I can tell you how to pull it out of there.

do you mean the unrooted ics leak i used to get ics before i rooted my phone, i still have that, please tell me how to get it from there I learned my lesson about the google thing

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

tell me how please

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: leozdad

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the easiest way to do it that way I won't have to flash a new rom I hope it works thanks for your help

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
tell me how please

You need a copy of UNYAFFS

Once you have that and your RUU zip. Unzip the RUU and you should have a bunch of files, one of the being system.img. Copy unyaffs to the same directory that you unzipped the RUU to. Pull up a command prompt. CD to wherever you stored the RUU (and unyaffs). In the command prompt type "unyaffs system.img" It will explode the image(WARNING THIS COULD BE >2GB), go under the newly created system/app directory and find these apk files
ba-syncservice-app-signed.apk
VzWBAClient.apk

Copy them to the /system/app directory on your phone and reboot. You should be all good from there.

Reactions: leozdad

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I did many moons ago. There may be an easier way now, but I still have a copy for emergencies.

Export from Verizon: Exporting Contacts to a Comma Separated Values (*.csv) File - Backup Assistant Plus Website

Import to google: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help

Delete the contacts that you have on the phone (if they were already backed up because you will get duplicates) and then sync the contacts with gmail.

Wow that was really quick, got all my contact numbers back and stored on good ole google.

Thank you so much, that saved me a great deal of time. it only took a minute to do.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Once you have that and your RUU zip. Unzip the RUU and you should have a bunch of files, one of the being system.img. Copy unyaffs to the same directory that you unzipped the RUU to. Pull up a command prompt. CD to wherever you stored the RUU (and unyaffs). In the command prompt type "unyaffs system.img" It will explode the image(WARNING THIS COULD BE >2GB), go under the newly created system/app directory and find these apk files
VzWBAClient.apk

Copy them to the /system/app directory on your phone and reboot. You should be all good from there.

Thanks mr smith, i used piizzadudes method of doing it online, but i gotta ask, just how is it you come to know what files will give me what i want? I find that knowledge quite amazing

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mr smith, i used piizzadudes method of doing it online, but i gotta ask, just how is it you come to know what files will give me what i want? I find that knowledge quite amazing

Honestly it's not that good/bad. Supporting Scott in the early Rezound days I did a lot of APK research and still have my list of all Rezound APKs and what they are.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

VzWBAClient.apk

Really DA question here. what is the ruu you speak of. i have the ICS leak, and i have scotts cleanrom pro, and a bamf rom. when i put in the ics rom into my directory and execute the command i get a system violation notice and a stackdump thingy in the command propmpt screen. what am i doing wrong?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Really DA question here. what is the ruu you speak of. i have the ICS leak, and i have scotts cleanrom pro, and a bamf rom. when i put in the ics rom into my directory and execute the command i get a system violation notice and a stackdump thingy in the command propmpt screen. what am i doing wrong?

The RUU is the ICS leak. It should be zipped. Unzip it and you'll get a bunch of files. You need to unyaffs the system.img file.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The RUU is the ICS leak. It should be zipped. Unzip it and you'll get a bunch of files. You need to unyaffs the system.img file.

I did unzip it to the same folder as unyaffs, i execute the command unyaffs system.img and i get ; 127 [main] unyaffs 5792 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATIO
N
139587 [main] unyaffs 5792 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to unyaffs.e
xe.stackdump

i redownloaded the unyaffs file and redid that to no avail any idea what could be wrong? you did say to unzip and put it n the same folder and the unzipped ruu?