nandroid backup

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid backup is an option in your custom recovery that is installed when you root your device .
Yes it is practice for some to pull a copy off your device and place it on your computer just so you have the extra backup in case.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What he said. We use Amon Ra for our recovery (well that is one of the choices) and you go in there to backup and restore, do the backup and if you ever need it, just go back there and do a restore. It makes a backup of everything, kinda like a system restore in Windows.

I do one before I flash anything, just to be safe. Once a week I also take the backup and throw it in my backup folder on dropbox. I think the folder is located on you sdcard under nandroid

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so just to clarify, no matter what you flash rom wise, as long as you can get back into recovery you can restore the nandroid and be back to exactly the point you backed up at(stock rom)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok so just to clarify, no matter what you flash rom wise, as long as you can get back into recovery you can restore the nandroid and be back to exactly the point you backed up at(stock rom)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300

Exactly right.... but be aware. jumping from gingerbread to ICS changes the SD partition, which can cause problems when trying to restore your nandroid. So try to stay within your android version unless you feel comfortable to ODIN back to stock.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly right.... but be aware. jumping from gingerbread to ICS changes the SD partition, which can cause problems when trying to restore your nandroid. So try to stay within your android version unless you feel comfortable to ODIN back to stock.

Aready on ics so should not be a problem

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Someone tell me if i am doing somethjing stupid...

I am creating a backup of everything(checked all boxes) now just to have. What boxes should i check for a backup to be used when roming to restore apps and app data? Or is the another method besides nandriod for that?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
O and now it has failed to do the back twice? It says to check recovery log. What should i do?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Someone tell me if i am doing somethjing stupid...

I am creating a backup of everything(checked all boxes) now just to have. What boxes should i check for a backup to be used when roming to restore apps and app data? Or is the another method besides nandriod for that?

When you make a nandroid just go with the default boxes that are checked and unchecked...as in, don't check or uncheck any of them. When you go to restore the backup all your app's and their associated data will still be put back in place.

If you're talking about a clean install of a new ROM, there is no way to restore the apps and data from one ROM to another via your nandroid...that is what Titanium Backup does (free app and a paid version as well with more features but the free does everything you need to backup and restore apps with their data)

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Even though I am not going to flash a new rom should I go in and make a nandroid backup just so I have 1 available

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Even though I am not going to flash a new rom should I go in and make a nandroid backup just so I have 1 available

ABSOLUTELY!! Along with getting rid of apps you don't want/need (I'm looking at you VZNavigator and friends) having a total system backup is one of the top reasons for rooting.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
While we are on the subject, is there a list somewhere of the vzw crap we can delete without causing any problems?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
While we are on the subject, is there a list somewhere of the vzw crap we can delete without causing any problems?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much all of it. VZnavigator, VCast, Backup Assistant, My Verizon, all the bundled apps like NFL, Skype, Teeter, the stupid Golf game, Twitter and all its widget and app engine, FaceBook, Friendstream....it's a pretty long list. Nandroid first then start deleting! :D

Edit: I hate to keep linking people to XDA but there's good info there so what can I say...give this a look through.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532366

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much all of it. VZnavigator, VCast, Backup Assistant, My Verizon, all the bundled apps like NFL, Skype, Teeter, the stupid Golf game, Twitter and all its widget and app engine, FaceBook, Friendstream....it's a pretty long list. Nandroid first then start deleting! :D

Edit: I hate to keep linking people to XDA but there's good info there so what can I say...give this a look through.

Comprehensive Rezound apk List [Updated: 4/25/2012] - xda-developers

Link to wherever you need to...just don't promote the other site. Thankfully AC understands that it's all about the information. Phil just gets mad when there's already something here that gets linked to another site.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Link to wherever you need to...just don't promote the other site. Thankfully AC understands that it's all about the information. Phil just gets mad when there's already something here that gets linked to another site.

Wouldn't dream of promoting another site over this one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670