Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default ICS OTA Warning

I'm hiding this up here in the rooting section because most of the people that need this information will be regulars over here. For those that are unaware, the ICS OTA is supposedly underway. Anyone that wants to or is running a rooted ROM should be wary of this OTA as it may contain bootloader changes and/or other subversions that will knock out your ability to root/ROM.

Remember what the last GB OTA did? Just throwing this info out there...and don't say I didn't tell you ;-)
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by 2:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: ICS OTA Warning

Yeah I thought of that. When I get my next reZound in an hour or so, I a going to S-off and return to stock, take the OTA and see what happens with root

I remember the Dinc GB update. Changed the boot loader ENTIRELY and made it unable to root with Unrevoked anymore. You had to unlock the boot loader through HTC after that, and then you still didn't have S-off I don't think. Glad my Dinc was s-off as I still tinker with it trying to make it nice iPod touch like device. I've learned from this in the past and tried to warn others. The .10 leak is running just fine for me, so no need to take the update (if it is for real) until others waaaaaaay smarter than me have had time to disect it. I'm just hopeful it is for real, and when the source is out, great Roms can be made from it.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Its my understanding if you're s-off there shouldn't be any issue, except the loss of root/relock. Correct me if im wrong.

Edit: Mr. Smith, what were you on when you received the update? Stock/rooted/s-on?
    Last edited by Bond32; 08-02-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

They could have patched out the S-Off hack as well so really I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole if I had an unlocked/rooted/rom'd Rezound.

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    They could have patched out the S-Off hack as well so really I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole if I had an unlocked/rooted/rom'd Rezound.
    Agreed. I went s-off last night. Still on stock, rooted gb but I have s-off. Not sure what ill do next. Thought I would run the ruu to get on ics firmware and hboot but there may be no advantage to that other than not having to flash the gb patch.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Lovin' My Phone

Mr. Smith ... I am glad you are around to keep all of us aware of all that is going on!

Thank you!!
    ~Janet~

ROM
    Viper

Yeah everyone keep updated on this. I have want to know before I flash the RUU. I am still on .5 leak

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Yeah everyone keep updated on this. I have want to know before I flash the RUU. I am still on .5 leak
    I'll bite. Assuming the download ever finishes. I'll let y'all know how it goes, but don't hold your breath. I'd won't be disappointed at all if someone else posts their experiences before me.

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Do we have anymore info?

Well, that didn't take long, did it?

Installed over the last leak. I was unlocked/rooted, but still s-on. Now I'm updated and once again unlocked/rooted.

Sorry I can't shed any light on what it does to your s-off capabilities, but if you're like me (so far) and just need root, you're good to go.

PRO TIP: Forgot to back up the internal sd card. That's where my titanium backup was. WAS. Sigh. Oh well, I have an old one from the last leak, reckon I'll use that.

EDIT:
    TO BE CLEAR: I didn't run the actual OTA; this was simply flashing the equivalent RUU. Which is, I suppose, somewhat anticlimactic. More interesting will be if anyone who us running any RUU (or ROM) actually gets an OTA notice. And if they go for it, how they fare.
    Last edited by lonndoggie; 08-02-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Anyone that wants to or is running a rooted ROM should be wary of this OTA as it may contain bootloader changes and/or other subversions that will knock out your ability to root/ROM.

Remember what the last GB OTA did? Just throwing this info out there...and don't say I didn't tell you ;-)
    Isn't that what Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper is for? And the GB OTA update never installed on rooted devices which is why people had to compensate with stuff like CleanRom.

I'm rooted, unlocked, running CleanRom 1.7. What is the best method to get to ICS?

I'm rooted, unlocked, running CleanRom 1.7. , also S-on, What is the best method to get to ICS?

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by dhharris View Post
    I'm rooted, unlocked, running CleanRom 1.7. , also S-on, What is the best method to get to ICS?
    relock and run RUU. only catch is it wipes everything, which is not such a bad thing.

Or you could return to 100% stock(relock,stock recovery,stock rom,stock apps,unroot) and then take the ota

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by QuistisTrepe View Post
    Isn't that what Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper is for? And the GB OTA update never installed on rooted devices which is why people had to compensate with stuff like CleanRom.
    There's no guarantee OTA rootkeeper will work. And I've already had a ton of people trying to get the official OTA from a rooted device rather than running the RUU. I only put the info out there so that people are aware of potential pitfalls.

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

As a note for anyone, I was s-off, locked bootloader, unrooted on GB and at work when I got the OTA. Thought I would try to let it install so I did. You cannot install the OTA with AmonRa recovery, = soft brick. Stuck at the white splash screen.

Luckily I had my laptop in my car. Solution was to run an RUU in the form of any of the ICS leaks. I personally used the .10 leak since I didn't have the OTA yet. Just do the RUU thing and all good.

Keep in mind I don't know what happens if you are s-on. I assume the same but I don't know. I learned one thing with this phone is not to try to install things at work while s-on lol.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

There's no guarantee OTA rootkeeper will work. And I've already had a ton of people trying to get the official OTA from a rooted device rather than running the RUU. I only put the info out there so that people are aware of potential pitfalls.
    Hm. Well, I've just read up on trying to get S-Off, and while CleanRom is GB, it is a different ROM from the stock, so it remains to be seen if that will work on my phone or not.

I know at XDA, they've AOSP running on the Rezound, though with some bricking.For those running CM9, I thought the Rezound was abandoned by that dev team?

I just installed the ICS OTA on a completely stock Rezound. I want to root, but your warning made me pause. Do you expect a problem if I try to root? Thanks.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I don't know. Nobody has reported failure or success at this point.

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo48 View Post
    I just installed the ICS OTA on a completely stock Rezound. I want to root, but your warning made me pause. Do you expect a problem if I try to root? Thanks.
    It works if you use HTC Unlock + Amon Ra in Recovery + SuperSU as described here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...-ics-leak.html

Perhaps I should back up a bit. I had a GB Rezound and loaded Amon Ra + the "Superuser" program, then upgraded via OTA with S-ON, unlocked, rooted. This actually worked fine but my fastboot screen now has the dreaded "TAMPERED UNLOCKED" display. However I am on ICS with 4.0.3 and root. The Superuser program does *not* work with ICS when rooted via AmonRa as I just said, you have to flash with SuperSU.

Overall I find ICS to be painful to configure and power-hungry. I now want to try S-OFF and a custom ROM, and maybe revert back to GB, but I will wait for the dust to settle for a few weeks before I do this. If you are happy with GB you may want to stick with it for a while.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

I have read nothing about bricked phones running aosp. There is quite a few problems, but it's all beta software right now. Also, CM9 is not officially supported, but DMeadows is getting it going for us, as well as AOKP.

If your not stock, your going to have to wipe your phone no matter what to get current, so why not just relock and run the ruu, it's the easiest way?

Edit: I've never installed su, I always just flash a rom with it. There are stock roms that are just rooted, and pretty much nothing else, why not flash one of those? I must be missing something on just rooting the stock rom, and not doing anything else.
    Last edited by twolastnames; 08-03-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adding stuff
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by twolastnames View Post
    I have read nothing about bricked phones running aosp. There is quite a few problems, but it's all beta software right now. Also, CM9 is not officially supported, but DMeadows is getting it going for us, as well as AOKP.

If your not stock, your going to have to wipe your phone no matter what to get current, so why not just relock and run the ruu, it's the easiest way?
    I don't get the lack of CM love for the Rezound as it was a major release with damn good hardware specs. Only those developers will ever know the real reason.

Part of me is frustrated that I'm going to have to relearn the lingo and how-to's all over again. I was heavy into the modding bit back in January when the Rezound was permarooted, but haven't messed around with that stuff since. From what you're saying, is it as easy as a one-click to unroot and using CWM to perform a complete reset?

I'll have to relearn how to use CWM and all that. I've put off the OTA until 8/7, but I don't think a few days will make a difference in terms of AOSP/AOKP/CM9 issues getting squared away. I kinda want to say screw it and go all into the betas and just take my chances as I do have double insurance on my phone (Best Buy's black-tie protection for bricking and Asurion with my carrier for loss or theft).

I need to hit up XDA and research all this real hard for the next few days.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

So...I am S-On, running the .10 leak, unlocked, and rooted...will the update even push to my phone?
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    --Wayne Gretzky

Looking for help on getting the official ICS. I am S-On, running the .5 leak, unlocked, and rooted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast