New to rooting, unlocking, and flashing roms

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting ready to unlock my rezound. It's stock ics now. It will give me a factory reset. I assume that's back to Gingerbread. Will I be able to get back to official ice cream sandwich, before I root? If so, can I then back up my stock ics rom and go back to it at will? This way I can go between a gsm rom and my stock rom. I really want to know if this path is a one way street.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much a one way street but a 4 way intersection with speed bumps. Because of the way you have to flash a ROM, you'll need a PC (or a lot of patience and multiple SD cards). The true multi-boot solution is S-Off but that's probably too much pain for most people.

Overall you can "jump" between ROMs but it's probably not in your best interest to try unless you are S-Off.

Reactions: Bkolb69

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It looks there is a new patch that is either a leak, or gonna roll out official that turns on the global capabilities of the rezound. If that's the case, I'm sure within a few weeks, most devs will have this in their Rom, and you could just stay s-on and flash one Rom. Sorry, vant get you a link right now, but there is a thread in general about a new 100mb patch.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks you both for your responses. I will be taking my netbook with me and I think I understand how to do this. It doesn't seem like it will take to long. I'm preparing all the files and downloading a few roms. But I have heard of the new update that makes the rezound global. If I prep for the rooting process now by unlocking the rezound, from what I've read it will give me a factory reset. Once unlocked, will I be able to get back to the OTA update to ics while I'm waiting to see if I will need to root? And if I do root, and decide that I prefer the official OTA, will I be able to return?
Oh yeah, thank you Mr Smith, everything that I know about this is from reading your posts.
And thank you twolastnames for confirming the rumor I've heard about the global update.

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset won't take u back to gingerbread,it'll just wipe everything on your phone like apps,music,pics,etc.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info. Once I'm unlocked, will I be able to get any further OTA's?

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok. That's what I was afraid of. So I better wait for part two of the OTA so I can see if the global update fixes the problem with gsm sending sms before I unlock.
If not, what do you think of conromv6? It claims to be able to toggle between gsm and cdma. Maybe then I wouldn't have to switch between roms. I just haven't seen enough to know which rom is right for me.

santhan

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info. Once I'm unlocked, will I be able to get any further OTA's?

Hi, Everything depends on the unlocking method. According to me, the direct method is far more better than other. I unlocked my phone by getting the unlocking key through a site theunlockspot.com and got it permanently unlocked. There is no other issue while using Sim cards internationally.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Everything depends on the unlocking method. According to me, the direct method is far more better than other. I unlocked my phone by getting the unlocking key through a site theunlockspot.com and got it permanently unlocked. There is no other issue while using Sim cards internationally.

This is bs. Don't pay for something that is free, and fairly easy to do.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

What are you talking about? The ONLY way to unlock this phone is through htcdev. Com. Anything else is either paying someone else to do the same thing you can do for free, or a bold face lie

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya, some stupid 3rd party troll. I read back through it last night, funny thing, Neither Verizon or the Rezound is listed. Oh, or anything HTC related.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Do they give you unlocking instructions? And why do you think this way is better than getting it from htc development like shown on Mr Smith's instructions?
Just curious. I haven't seen this alleged second update yet and I'm running out of time.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Do they give you unlocking instructions? And why do you think this way is better than getting it from htc development like shown on Mr Smith's instructions?
Just curious. I haven't seen this alleged second update yet and I'm running out of time.

I just update the rom page, there are a couple of global ones linked. Pay no attention to that one post, it take you to a page to unlock the phone from Verizon, and use it on another network. There is only one way to unlock, through HTC Dev.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for chiming in. When you're not too busy can you paste a link or two for gsm roms that you recommend? And will I have to do this while I'm in Verizons coverage area, or can I do it once I arrive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair