1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need a little help rooting

While following the guide on this page I ran into an issue. I have rooted before Eris and Thunderbolt. It's been a while but I have a decent understanding of what is going on. Anyhow, so after doing HTCdev and getting unlocked I'm trying to follow the next step of actually rooting before installing a ROM, I cannot get the phone to HBOOT. Power off, Volume down and power button does nothing but end up powering back on when I release. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Need a little help rooting

I held both the power button and the volume down button at the same time until I saw the HBOOT menu. Be sure and pull the battery beforehand, wait a few seconds, put the battery back and the back cover on then hold both buttons down until you see the menu.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanicstrad37 View Post
    While following the guide on this page I ran into an issue. I have rooted before Eris and Thunderbolt. It's been a while but I have a decent understanding of what is going on. Anyhow, so after doing HTCdev and getting unlocked I'm trying to follow the next step of actually rooting before installing a ROM, I cannot get the phone to HBOOT. Power off, Volume down and power button does nothing but end up powering back on when I release. Any thoughts?
    Boot into the ROM normally and go to menu, settings, power, and disable "fast boot." It's not letting your phone truly power down, rather it's putting it to sleep mode.

Or pull the battery and try it that way.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Boot into the ROM normally and go to menu, settings, power, and disable "fast boot." It's not letting your phone truly power down, rather it's putting it to sleep mode.

Or pull the battery and try it that way.
    I haven't had problems rooting or any of that, but since I ran the global RUU, I've been struggling with getting into the bootloader without a battery pull. Sure enough, damn fastboot was checked. Why is that the factory setting?????
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    I haven't had problems rooting or any of that, but since I ran the global RUU, I've been struggling with getting into the bootloader without a battery pull. Sure enough, damn fastboot was checked. Why is that the factory setting?????
    Because people complain it takes to long to boot a phone up. And almost 100% of users will never need to get to hboot.
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by twolastnames View Post
    Because people complain it takes to long to boot a phone up. And almost 100% of users will never need to get to hboot.
    While that's true about hboot, I think it's counterproductive to NEVER have the phone do a real shutdown and reboot. I know my laptop would begin to act funny after a week without a full shutdown.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

That is why I turn fast boot off on my phones. I fins it runs better.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    While that's true about hboot, I think it's counterproductive to NEVER have the phone do a real shutdown and reboot. I know my laptop would begin to act funny after a week without a full shutdown.
    As true as this is, most people don't understand it.
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.