uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've tried installing neo and rage 1.4 two or three times now. I am s-on (thinking about s-off. Scared.) I've done the wipes necessary. Flashed Asop and Gapps. I reboot to hboot and flash bootimg.(i renamed "boot.img" located within the Asop file ph98img). Hboot doesn't ask me if I want to update. Needless to say, when I reboot it gets stuck at white HTC screen. Also, my nandroid failed. It said "check recovery logs". That sucked lol. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't flash the kernel that way..I am still s-on (Chad over at XDA at the last minute helped me decide against it bc it does actually prevent hard bricks) and I am now on Rage 1.5 (just released and with some important fixes from 1.4). Use fastboot flash to flash the boot.img just like you pushed the unlock token:

Place boot.img in android-sdk\platform-tools\ folder
Go to fastboot on phone
Connect usb cable
Open command prompt (I always run it as administrator, just in case)
cd to the fastboot dir on your HD
Type this command: fastboot flash boot boot.img (the first boot in there is not a typo)

It will take about 5 seconds or so..after that it should say it finished..if it doesn't work..make sure your device is really in fastboot and not the hboot main menu.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I can't give you a 100% yes or no answer on it but the way I always understood it is that the ph98 file some roms include is not just a renamed boot.img so I've always fastboot pushed it instead. Do you have a nandroid backup to return to for now or another rom that works with the kernel you currently have on your device? May want to go that route until you're near a pc.

I'm liking rage a lot..I'm a battery and speed junky and those are probably the 2 things I really enjoy thus far..I like knowing it is as clean as android can be. Bluetooth calling and a minor echo during voice calls are probably the two biggest bugs that are still left in AOSP but I can live with that for now.

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I'll it from a pc instead. I'm just more comfortable working from recovery. It's kinda idiot proof lol. Thanks for the advice.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The ph98 file has to be packaged correctly, not just a renamed boot image. Now how you do this I am not familiar with. I was going to look into it at one time, but never did.

Having a ph98 is the only way to guarantee computer independence without s off though. I use to keep them around, but that was before I went s off and when the devs still regularly packaged them that way. Now if they package them that way it is usually through an installer. You can always flash the boot image with a computer though. I did it a lot...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't even tried again. I want to flash something though. Currently on viperrez. I can't find anything better. Although the battery life on viperrez is awful for me.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't even tried again. I want to flash something though. Currently on viperrez. I can't find anything better. Although the battery life on viperrez is awful for me.

What kernel you using? Joel's latest BAMF kernel does pretty well for me.

DOAH! after i posted this I went back and re-read the thread...seems the underlying theme of this thread is you having kernel flash problems....

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I've given up on Aosp for a while. The first day or 2 everything seems ok, but after that I start getting all sorts of bugs. The latest has been the phone locking up if I get a call when the phone is sleeping. Touchscreen locks up at the same time so I can't answer it, and it rings until I pull the battery. Also, the phone echo was driving me a little crazy.

NilsP's Sense4 rom is awesome, and his installer has an option for s-on, so the boot.img is automatically put on your sd card.
Newt's xXx rom is also fantastic, and he already has a boot.img ready for you to download in his OP for the rom. It's sense4 though as well.

As far as your nandroid failing, you need quite a bit of space for it to run, over 700mb free, or it will fail. I just about went crazy trying to figure that out when it happened to me.

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
As far as your nandroid failing, you need quite a bit of space for it to run, over 700mb free, or it will fail. I just about went crazy trying to figure that out when it happened to me.

It's happened to me several times. I've got plenty of memory free ( im a neat freak). I don't know the cause but its frustrating. It's even happened after successfully flashing a different rom and i try to revert back.

My phone has a viper inside of it

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It's happened to me several times. I've got plenty of memory free ( im a neat freak). I don't know the cause but its frustrating. It's even happened after successfully flashing a different rom and i try to revert back.

I think in the developer section of Amon Ra, it will export that error log, and you can read it in notepad on your computer. Most of it's over us mortals head, but that's what clued me into my error, I saw blah blah blah blah low memory blah blah blah blah. Maybe Mr. Smith can decipher it for you?

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone flashed this yet? [ROM][Oct29] EclipticRez [SENSE][4.0][CDMA][Odex] - xda-developers

I think I'm going to when I get back home Thursday. Looks pretty decent.

It's awesome. I was having battery issues with it, but after thinking about it, it may have been that I put a cpu controller app on there. I've been seeing grumblings that messing with the CPU makes Jack sad. He picked a solid base (NilsP), so it's super smooth. Personally, I prefer Newts Sense4 rom as things stand right now, but this one is a close second.

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
It's awesome. I was having battery issues with it, but after thinking about it, it may have been that I put a cpu controller app on there. I've been seeing grumblings that messing with the CPU makes Jack sad. He picked a solid base (NilsP), so it's super smooth. Personally, I prefer Newts Sense4 rom as things stand right now, but this one is a close second.

I haven't tried newts yet. Most people say viperrez is their favorite so I never even bothered to try it.

Is this what your talking about? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1501512

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, there is not the huge built in skinning engine, but as far as polish and a "finished" rom, Newt has it. Run each for a day, see which you like better, especially since you don't flash roms hourly!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep, there is not the huge built in skinning engine, but as far as polish and a "finished" rom, Newt has it. Run each for a day, see which you like better, especially since you don't flash roms hourly!

Wait, you aren't supposed to do that?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney