Brand new Rezound, shipped with ICS, want to S-Off

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a brand new Rezound that came shipped with ICS. I tried to unlock and root, which failed. The boot loader screen reads TAMPERED. So I re-locked the Rezound. Now it says TAMPERED, RELOCKED, SECURITY WARNING.

My question to you all is, I want to S-Off my Rezound, is it possible? I've searched the forums. I've come across people who say to leave it alone, people who say it can't be done on a newer Rezound. And I've had people say that S-Off is the only way to root a Rezound shipped with ICS.

So I'm looking for anyone with experience or knowledge to help me, anything is appreciative.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
S off is NOT required to root or really do anything else except for go backwards on firmware versions. There is not a lot of reason to do this, ppl just do it for the peace of mind that they can.

I am pretty sure you can go soff on anything but the global firmware, but you will need to ask someone more knowledgeable than me for sure. If you decide to do it, do it now.

The reason ppl fight for soff is because it makes things easier and completely takes away the need for a computer. The Samsung crowd will even say that the bootloader might as well be locked without it. This I completely untrue.

The only important thing you cannot do without it is flash a kernel from recovery. To get around this you can either flash the boot.img from a computer command prompt, or the dev might package it in a flash able file from the boot loader.

Many devs even use aroma installer to do it all for you so you don't even have to think about it.

Point is, if you don't want to shove a wire in your phone, you don't have to. I flashed stuff for 6 months without it. It does make stuff easier and allow you a little more freedom, but it also takes away a small safety net that s on provides.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you NoYankees44 for your input. I understood everything you said. I had a Rezound that was unlocked and rooted, that Rezound was running gingerbread, so it was easy to root. My new Rezound I have shipped with ICS. I can unlock it, but root access fails. From what I know, they (Google) had a root blocker installed in the HTC Rezound ICS update, to keep people from using wifi tether. So, I'm searching everywhere on the Internet for a work around. I found somewhere that I can download a Package exe file that does everything for you when unlocking and rooting, afraid to use it until I can confirm that it works with ICS.

I just really miss running custom roms with better battery life.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Let me see if I can fine the flash able file for root.

You can always just flash a rooted rom as well

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So, after deciding to give it another try, it unlock and rooting worked. I unlocked using htcdev.com. I installed amon ra 3.15. Last time I tried, I used an older version. I also used One Click Root, which I did not use previously. Made a nandroid backup, crossed my fingers. Flashed Viper Rez Rom. Gained root access! And I have my favorite Rom installed. That rom turns your Rezound into basically a HTC OneX.

So, I have no need to s off anymore. It is true, you can unlock and root a new Rezound running ICS. Just takes some practice. Back to having an awesome Rezound.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Awesome man. Good you go to things going. They did some trickery with the ota ics it turns out and made it harder to root. I think con did it first back in the day. But flashing a rooted rom is always easier lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze