Need help upgrading Rom/ Rooting my ReZound

hiphopaddict

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running the following:
2014-08-06_23-47-01.png

I have not messed with upgrading the software on this phone since the original leak I flashed of Verizon's version of Ice Cream Sammy. Since i'm not running the stock ROM, I'm worried that trying to reset it to stock will cause an issue and brick the phone.

Questions:
1. I haven't really looked to see what other versions of Android are available. Does this phone have enough processing power/RAM to support Kit Kat or Jelly Bean?

2. I don't really have much of an understanding of the difference between setting the phone to "S-OFF", the bootloader, etc.

3. Can someone walk me through this?

Thanks so much.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
wow it has been forever since I have been down here in this neck of the woods. I loved my ReZound.

You would have to check over on XDA for ROMs. THe Rez even though it was not a popular phone by any means (very overlooked) used to have a decent community. I am guessing at the very least you will find a JellyBean ROM.

I really would not worry about S-OFF. Worry more about rooting, a custom recovery and picking a rom that meets your needs. Most of your answers and step by step guides are here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/re...uide-guide-unlocking-rooting-htc-rezound.html

Listen carefully

Are you listening?

YOU sure?

The best advice I can give you is READ everything. Read it twice. If you are not sure read it again and ask questions either here or over there. If you do not know what you are doing, you very well could end up with a paperweight instead of a phone.

READ AND research before committing to an action. Follow the instructions in the ROM thread that you choose. Heck read the whole thread before you do anything.

Good luck and hope you have fun with it. I loved that damn thing...

hiphopaddict

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I love the phone as well. I had a Droid X prior to this and I had constant problems. I have really been problem free the whole time I've had it until now.

Here's the ROM I think I want to load. I chose it b/c it seems pretty straightforward, I do have some pretty stupid questions though.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-rezound/348024-get-jellybean-4-2-2-your-rezound.html

1. "- You will need to be unlocked (do not need root or S-Off though)"
Umh. Yeah, What does that mean? I know how to get into the bootloader. That's about it.

2-" You will need the Android SDK installed and updated and all USB drivers for Rezound
- You will need to install TWRP recovery (which itself is awesome...where were these intuitive touch-friendly recoveries when this was my main phone?)"

Are these installed on the phone or on my PC? I would think the phone, but I don't get it. Once I go to flash the image I can't enter any additional apps can I? I'm pretty much stuck there until it finishes loading the ROM.

3. "Make sure you have the 4.2.2 Google Apps, as the ROM does not have them installed. Flash the GAPPS ZIP from recovery right after you flash the ROM (make sure you are only using GAPPS for 4.2.2...4.4 GAPPS will cause problems):
4.2.2 Google Apps - Google Apps (Gapps) - Download Latest Gapps for Android or [GAPPS][4.2.2-4.3] UPDATED Google Apps! 130812-13 - xda-developers"

Does this get installed after the ROM is flashed?

This is my only phone and I'm on a fixed income, I really can't mess this up. If there is an easier way, or maybe a way to just reflash Ice Cream Sandwich that might be the better option. I guess I could flash to the newer World Phone version that Verizon released. I never got the push b/c the ROM I'm running right now was one of the leaked verizon ROMs that came out before ICS was pushed.

Thoughts?

hiphopaddict

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, what would choosing "factory reset" in the boot loader do? Would it reset my current ROM, or would it take me back to GingerBread?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
These ROMs and the info here are old and outdated... Seriously, take NoNexus advice and head over to XDA, very active development and lots of good folks in the Rezound community over there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 powered by Beanstalk ROM and Hellscore kernel

hiphopaddict

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually just wiped the phone from the boatloader and that fixed the problem. The factory reset took me back to my initial ICS build and I'm happy thus far I appreciate the help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante