Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jelly Bean Update - some bluetooth setting missing

Hi All,

First post - be nice ;-)

So I upgraded to Jelly Bean and loved what I saw, but a few days in I was having issues with S planner not storing new events (unless all day events) and the call forwarding icon stayed in the notification bar even with call forwarding turned off.

I went to a Roger's booth in the mall and they yanked the battery without even asking to SEE what was wrong. That really messed things up and LONG (undertrained Rogers employee) story short - factory reset and data wipe - thanks Rogers!

The only good part was the notification icon went away when call forwarding was off (just had to reload all apps and data - getting good at that...hehe). So I thought all was well.

Not so....bluetooth connection to FM transmitter in car resulted in "wrong PIN/password". No problem I thought - I'll add the PIN....wait a sec there is NO WAY TO provide a PIN anymore!!??

So I did some reading and it seems to me (a programmer by trade) that there are some pretty bad issues with the JB update and I decided to back out and head back to ICS (used ODIN and stock Rogers ROM) and wait for the first round of fixes before I try JB again.

So now back to ICS and the bluetooth (which worked perfectly in ICS before JB update) is exactly the same as it was in JB (different UI and no way to provide PIN - looks like JB menu in ICS OS).

I don't know what is going on, but it seems like the OS is back to ICS, but some JB is hanging around still. I know it sholdn't work like that, but behaviour of the device says something different.

I will try a factory reset and data wipe in ICS to see if that resolves, but thought I'd poist here to see if any of this makes sense??

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Cheers

Default Re: Jelly Bean Update - some bluetooth setting missing

Don't know about Rogers, or what happened with your upgrade, but JB certainly has the ability to input a PIN for a BT connection. I've done it multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriosa View Post
    Hi All,

First post - be nice ;-)

So I upgraded to Jelly Bean and loved what I saw, but a few days in I was having issues with S planner not storing new events (unless all day events) and the call forwarding icon stayed in the notification bar even with call forwarding turned off.

I went to a Roger's booth in the mall and they yanked the battery without even asking to SEE what was wrong. That really messed things up and LONG (undertrained Rogers employee) story short - factory reset and data wipe - thanks Rogers!

The only good part was the notification icon went away when call forwarding was off (just had to reload all apps and data - getting good at that...hehe). So I thought all was well.

Not so....bluetooth connection to FM transmitter in car resulted in "wrong PIN/password". No problem I thought - I'll add the PIN....wait a sec there is NO WAY TO provide a PIN anymore!!??

So I did some reading and it seems to me (a programmer by trade) that there are some pretty bad issues with the JB update and I decided to back out and head back to ICS (used ODIN and stock Rogers ROM) and wait for the first round of fixes before I try JB again.

So now back to ICS and the bluetooth (which worked perfectly in ICS before JB update) is exactly the same as it was in JB (different UI and no way to provide PIN - looks like JB menu in ICS OS).

I don't know what is going on, but it seems like the OS is back to ICS, but some JB is hanging around still. I know it sholdn't work like that, but behaviour of the device says something different.

I will try a factory reset and data wipe in ICS to see if that resolves, but thought I'd poist here to see if any of this makes sense??

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Cheers
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Don't know about Rogers, or what happened with your upgrade, but JB certainly has the ability to input a PIN for a BT connection. I've done it multiple times.
    Good to know it works for some - thanks!

so how? screenshot?....steps?

I used to long press the device name in the list of bluetooth devices and now I get nothing when doing so. All I have is a 3 item menu from the menu button when in the bluetooth settings screen - something to the effect of "received files", "change device name", and "visibility timeout" - not useful at all ;-)

TIA

Cheers

When I try to connect to a BT device for the first time, the phone displays a pop up and asks me to enter a PIN.

The best thing to do might be to delete the BT connection from your phone and recreate it from scratch.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    When I try to connect to a BT device for the first time, the phone displays a pop up and asks me to enter a PIN.

The best thing to do might be to delete the BT connection from your phone and recreate it from scratch.
    Not how it's working here - and I started with no device added (the programmer in me - I can debug). So I never get the pop-up - only the complaint that the PIN is bad. There is NO way to interact with the device in the list other than to tap it to try and pair (which always fails due to PIN).

I read in one other forum that someone went through the same JB update and then downgrade to ICS and had his specific bluetooth issue arise in JB and still exist in ICS after downgrade (where ICS had always worked fine - same as me). Just no solution posted :-(

This is going to be a fun one. Heck when I had gingerbread (as the phone came), my phone didn't even have a "Software Update" item in the settings. It was only after using ODIN to install the stock ICS ROM for Rogers did I get the software update option. Clearly I got a "special" phone - ugh!

Thanks for the idea

Cheers

I have the same problem, I am about to return this POS.