Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    6,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

Quote Originally Posted by huha View Post
    How much does it cost the usb board and ribbon
    Read 2 or 3 posts before yours, where I quoted kevin, he gives the price there. :thumbup:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Post Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

I was experiencing the very same problem. No matter what I did to my S4 (remove and replace battery) I continued to receive Grey Battery symbol. Finally, because my wife and I both have S4's I swapped our batteries. My wife's phone had the grey battery initially, but seconds after it changed. I then returned the battery to my phone and I have no more issues. Hope this works for other as it did for me.

Hello guys, here's what I did with my s4 not charging few days ago, my battery was drained then I charged it then the gray battery appeared and it keeps vibrating while showing the gray battery, so here's what I did, I removed the battery and I took a hair blower, I blowered the charger port around 5-6 inches away then I connect the phone into the charger and it started working again, you guys can try it if you want to, it did work to me.
    Thanked by:
    Knicxs Kimberly likes this.

hi im having the same problem. but my question is why we have to pay for it. my is only not even 5 months old. should under warranty. I am a computer tech. often I have climb ladder and replace WAP in buildings. One day I saw my screen has a fine line cracked. and I didn't put any pressure or dropped. I bought it from kogan and they said its not under warranty. my question is I am hiding anything...its not my fault ...so why we have to pay for it. I was using apple for last 7 years and recently switched to android and s4 is my first android phone. I was happy with android but Samsung is really getting sucks. my previous iPhone is still working fabulously. why the Samsung is so crap. is it under warranty if I bought it from Kogan?

the solution of this issue (charger not recognized) is very simple...

samsung galaxy -charging issue

^^^^ This worked for me.
    I'm using a radio shack charger that I bought as I'm traveling which would work occasionally (not very often). The trick is this: before you plug the charger into the wall/electrical socket, first plug the micro usb end into your phone. After your phone is attached to the charger cable, then plug the charger into the wall, energizing the charger. Works every time for me now.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by transistors View Post
    the solution of this issue (charger not recognized) is very simple...

samsung galaxy -charging issue
    I'm sorry, but that thread's first two posts -- by that thread's starter (aka, its "original poster" or "OP") -- are just ridiculously wrong and misleading.

I have, however, added a third post to that thread which sets straight the record; and provides any Samsung Galaxy famly phone user -- particularly a Note II user -- with pretty much everything s/he needs to know about this subject.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

Question Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

Hello, I just read your reply to fix the not charging issue. My S4 is only 33 days old, but AT&T will not fix or replace it.
    It did get water in the charging port, that is the only thing on the phone that won't work. The phone is fully functional otherwise.
    Even though the water damage indicator under the battery compartment is slightly pink. It is my understanding from everything I
    read on these blogs that it has to be RED and that PINK is normal. But they would not budge.
    I don't want to pay $199 insurance deductible for a replacement phone if this DIY replacement of the port will work.
    I noticed on the website that there are 2 options for the charging port. One with the ribbon and one just the port, how would I know which one I need?
    And is this easy enough for a non-techie person to replace? I figure the $50 is a much cheaper option than $199. I appreciate
    any feedback you can offer. Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    Knicxs Kimberly likes this.

EXACTLY what happened to me!!!!!!!! I am so upset my phone is less than a year old, and I bought it outright so cannot return it.

I also had this problem with the S4 I own since may 2013, it would keep vibrating every second (or so) when plugged in the original wall-charger..I could not remember doing anything with the phone that might have harmed it (so no water damage). When I read Itsm3GeL's post about blowing out the charging port I remembered doing this to my S2 as well. My S2 had huge amounts of dust in the port by carrying it in the pocket of my jeans every day.

Here's what I did to fix it:
    1. Find yourself a thin (sewing) needle.
    2. Gently remove the large pieces of dust from the charging port. Do not damage the contacts, make sure you know where those contacts are to be sure you don't damage them.
    3. If you have a can of compressed air or one of those dustblowers you can finish it off by blowing out the small dustparticles.

If this works for you, let other people know, it might save them some bucks by not buying a new port.

Exclamation Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

hi so I'm having the problem now and what happens is i try to hard reboot it and it comes up with that samsung galaxy s4 active symbol. And after a while its still there like its frozen. now I'm really upset about this because my parents said i wouldn't be able to get another phone even if i bought it my self. so if anybody has any suggestions that would be great thank you. and any other suggestions that haven't been said because i have tried all the ones that i can afford.

SOLUTION: VACUUM THE USB PORT
    After reading through the stuff, I decided to vacuum my Note3. In this case I used by Dyson. Took out the back cover and battery and brushed it while the vacuum is on. Held the vacuum for about a minute at the USB port. Plugged the phone back and it's now charging. I see the green battery come on with the white dots dancing back and forth. I think the port starts to collect dust while in the pockets. So cleaning once a month is the key. Let me know if this helped any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Green View Post
    any other suggestions that haven't been said because i have tried all the ones that i can afford.
    You might want to try this, the chance that it will help is very small but it's easy to do:
    1. shut your phone off
    2. hold [volume down] + [power] until the download screen shows up - looks like this
    3. select "Cancel (reboot phone)" by pressing [volume down] once.

Smile Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

hi . did you fix your phone already?

hi . what kind of vacum?

yes , the blower worksssss . yahhh ! thanks for the tips guys

yah , it really works , thanks for the tips )

I had the exact problem... The difference is that I went skiing and it fell in the snow... After that it worked fine for a couple of hrs. but before the battery drained it gave a weird android message on a black screen that said not to turn off but it turned off because it was not charging. I checked the stickers and they are still white so I sent it to Samsung. Hopefully they don't notice anything. Does anyone know if Samsung they replaces phones?

Thumbs up Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

I registered to this forum just to reply to these thread haha!
    But this is to show my appreciation on how i fixed my grey battery problem.

I have tried the following suggestions in the thread and here are the results:

>Change charger or adapter: NOT WORKED
    >Use blow dryer to clean ports: NOT WORKED
    >Cleaned the usb port via vacuum: NOT WORKED
    >Change phone configuration: NOT WORKED
    >Replaced the USB port: WORKED!!

I just bought mine in less than three months (From Kimstore, online shop in Phils) when the problem showed up.
    I really need to connect Galaxy S4 to my computer so i want this problem fixed asap.
    I have no time to have it replaced or checked with warranty plus its a hassle to go to the Samsung service centers here in the Philippines.

So I decided to change it myself with a help of a youtube video on how to open S4
    >>

Anyway after changing the port it was immediately fixed! the charging sign can be seen when i charged it and I can now connect it to my laptop haha.

Difficulty:
    Moderate (needs no special skills)
    Price:
    Prying set: Php 300 ($6.5; plastic pryer with screw holders)
    Replacement USB port: Php 400 ($8.9; M&K Brand)
    Duration:
    1 hour (mine is around 45 minutes; first time opening an S4)
    Parts Location; Philippines:
    Carriedo cor Quiapo Church. There is a building there where laptop and phone parts are sold.
    Try asking where you can buy "S4 USB port" or you can show this pic. When you finally find a stall,
    you can also purchase there the prying set
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery-oem_samsung_galaxy_s4_gt-i9500_charging_port_flex_cable_ribbon_6_.jpg

Hope this helps
    CMSO

Lightbulb Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery

The only solution is to change the USB port to resolve this probleme definitivly, ( also in S1 , S2, S3, Tab, and notes), all the operation that can cost in Morocco 15$-25$ (including parts). in about 30 minutes.

I was having an issue where I would restart my phone and the phone would say that the usb connector was connected in the top banner even though it wasn't connected. When I would connect my phone to a charger, whether connected to a usb or a wall outlet, the phone would not charge unless it was turned off. My PC would also be unable to read the s4 when it was connect via usb. The phone was slow to charge even when it was turned off, showing a grey battery and then doing a double vibrate and then showing the green battery for a short time. So I left my phone pulled into the charger for eight hours and left it. When I returned the phone was fully charged and extremely hot. But now I can connect to a charger no problem. I'm unsure if it was the fact I left it charging for so long or if the extreme heat somehow counter intuitively fixed the issue.

I faced the issue and my phone was only 30 days old. I brought it back to Verizon and they had to send me another phone because the phone simply would not turn back on it was dead. This is a sign that there is something dramatically wrong inside the phone therefore it will not charge. When they tested my battery I still had 32% of battery but it wouldn't shows 0%.

You are a genius this actually worked thank you.

Ok...my issue is a bit different.

The phone won't charge at all with the wall charger.

It sometimes charges with the car charger

It will always charge when hooked up to the computer but the computer will not recognize the phone.

Seems to be some contradiction here. Any ideas?

I have a DIFFERENT approach folks can try:

My phone discharged completely and went dead, would not charge the battery, just sat there rebooting and showing a gray battery. I theorized the battery was too weak to accept a charge, at least that's what the phone was probably thinking. Even car batteries can get in such a state that a "smart" car battery charger won't charge it. Some of you might be familiar with this type of situation, where a battery is drained "too low to charge".

What happens is the "smart" charger sends a brief pulse of electricity to the battery and then samples the voltage of the battery to see if it is in a good enough condition to accept a charge. If your battery is too low on power, you're up the creek right? WRONG! You can often get a weak battery going again by "tricking" it into charging up just a little bit; enough to get the automatic charger to accept it again. Here's what I did on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active that was only a month old:

I inserted the charger for a few seconds, removed it for a few seconds, and did this over and over again, perhaps 10 or 15 times. Eventually the green bar showed up and I gently placed the phone down and walked away from it for awhile. Then I held the power button and it booted up fully and was once again running and charging!

The moral of my story is sometimes the battery isn't bad, the phone isn't bad; it's just that the battery got too "dead" and these so-called "smart" phones can be awfully stupid sometimes!

Have you ever gotten your (modern) car stuck in an inch of snow, at the end of your driveway? Because that damn "traction control" refused to allow even the slightest bit of tire slippage? If so, you probably know all about that traction control button in your car and how you can turn it off so the darn car will actually MOVE for you !!!! Got to love technology!!!

-AtariJeff001
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast