KitKat coming to Rogers S4 users!

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Excellent update! Very smooth and with a few graphical changes. No apps were missing after installing, but Samsung's keyboard loses emojis. Google's Keyboard has a whole list and has them updated and looking 3D and on par with the iOS emojis. Awesome upgrade all-around! And battery is great so far, I'm going to drain to zero tonight and charge fully, just to give it a good cycle, then report back with updates in battery life.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks.
If I am not rooted, and just using Nova Launcher... when I do the update, will it keep my Nova setup, or will it default back to CheezeWhiz and I have to start over with Nova ? I know that I can do a backup with Nova just in case, but I'm just curious. In the MobileSyrup comments, a couple of users who updated had issues with WiFi (for one user, once WiFi was out of range, the carrier data radio wouldn't kick in without doing a restart) Probably, just a one off glitch, but wondering if anybody else noticed any issues ? My phone could definitely use a shot of Red Bull... it slowed down quite a bit even with Nova so I will definitely update this weekend. Might be a good idea for me to factory reset after the update and start over from scratch... clean up the apps and "unclog" my phone.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks.
If I am not rooted, and just using Nova Launcher... when I do the update, will it keep my Nova setup, or will it default back to CheezeWhiz and I have to start over with Nova ? I know that I can do a backup with Nova just in case, but I'm just curious. In the MobileSyrup comments, a couple of users who updated had issues with WiFi (for one user, once WiFi was out of range, the carrier data radio wouldn't kick in without doing a restart) Probably, just a one off glitch, but wondering if anybody else noticed any issues ? My phone could definitely use a shot of Red Bull... it slowed down quite a bit even with Nova so I will definitely update this weekend. Might be a good idea for me to factory reset after the update and start over from scratch... clean up the apps and "unclog" my phone.

I'd recommend backing up your data and doing a factory reset before taking the update. When loading apps and data back to the phone, decide what you really need and what isn't really needed or used very often. A lighter load should help it perk up!

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend backing up your data and doing a factory reset before taking the update. When loading apps and data back to the phone, decide what you really need and what isn't really needed or used very often. A lighter load should help it perk up!

Thanks for the tip. I updated before reading your reply and so far so good :)
It definitely sped up my phone ! Might not need to do a reset after all.

eramamma

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
So I bit the bullet and updated. I have noticed a few glitches, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

1 - My power button and the home button occasionally do not respond. If the screen shuts off while I am in the middle of waiting for an application to load, and I press the power button, or the home button, the screen will not turn on immediately, and I have to go through a process of pressing one then the other several times before I can get it to turn on again.

2 - The lock screen seems to be slower to respond then before the update.

3 - I use Kingsoft Documents for work, and it seems that now all my spreadsheet documents will no longer load, and the spreadsheet part of the program itself will not work. (That is most likely something I have to go to Kingsoft directly, as it may no longer be compatible with 4.4, but the rest of the program works fine.

Overall, I haven't noticed much difference. Although I did prefer the green battery icon at the top of the screen as apposed to the white with the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy