1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Captivate Glide

Finally, a high-end, dual-core Android slider!

AT&T announces the Samsung Captivate Glide | Android Central

This is the one that everyone thought would be AT&T's version of the Galaxy S2. It's not quite that (no Exynos), but it's very close:

• UMTS 850/1900/2100
    • GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    • 4G HSPA+ 21 Mbps (Category 14)
    • 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H dual core processor
    • 1GB RAM/1GB ROM/8GB Internal microSD to 32GB (not included)
    • Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    • 4-inch 480x800 WVGA Super AMOLED
    • Dual camera - 8MP Autofocus w/LED + 1.3MP front
    • Full HD 1080p video camera + HDMI playback

The showed a Quadrant score of 3056, so this should be blazingly fast.

Better yet, according to the official AT&T press release, it'll be out before the end of the year!

Unless the Droid 4 is coming out very soon (Q1 2012), or the Nexus Prime comes out in a slider, the Captivate Glide is very likely to be my next phone. I would have preferred a 5-row keyboard, but given all the other specs, I can live with 4 rows.

Default Re: Samsung Captivate Glide

I dont really want a slider, waste of space for me since I dont use the physical keyboard, never did on my OG Droid

Quote Originally Posted by RoninX View Post
    Finally, a high-end, dual-core Android slider!

AT&T announces the Samsung Captivate Glide | Android Central

This is the one that everyone thought would be AT&T's version of the Galaxy S2. It's not quite that (no Exynos), but it's very close:

• UMTS 850/1900/2100
    • GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    • 4G HSPA+ 21 Mbps (Category 14)
    • 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H dual core processor
    • 1GB RAM/1GB ROM/8GB Internal microSD to 32GB (not included)
    • Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    • 4-inch 480x800 WVGA Super AMOLED
    • Dual camera - 8MP Autofocus w/LED + 1.3MP front
    • Full HD 1080p video camera + HDMI playback

The showed a Quadrant score of 3056, so this should be blazingly fast.

Better yet, according to the official AT&T press release, it'll be out before the end of the year!

Unless the Droid 4 is coming out very soon (Q1 2012), or the Nexus Prime comes out in a slider, the Captivate Glide is very likely to be my next phone. I would have preferred a 5-row keyboard, but given all the other specs, I can live with 4 rows.
    Why on EARTH was this not the Stratosphere on Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by rrhartjr View Post
    The stratosphere is basically the samsung epic on sprint with the verizon logo on it
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rrhartjr View Post
    I agree. A phone with these specs + Verizon LTE would be very sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    The stratosphere is basically the samsung epic on sprint with the verizon logo on it
    It's bad enough the Charge and Revolution were released this summer with last years specs.. but come on.. a single core phone in October?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

The more I read about the Tegra 2 performance vs. OMAP 4, the less enthusiastic I am about the Captivate Glide. If it had an Exynos, it would be near the top of my list, but now, not so much...

I'm strongly leaning toward waiting for the Maserati. Since the RAZR is already being announced, the Maserati is probably not that far out. A source on Howard Forums says the parts are already on order...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Then again, this looks like a slider version of the , which also has a Tegra 2 (but with an LCD screen instead of SAMOLED) and seems to consistently score 3000+ on Quadrant:

So it may be worth checking out after all...

Lightbulb Re: Samsung Captivate Glide

The more I read about the Tegra 2 performance vs. OMAP 4, the less enthusiastic I am about the Captivate Glide. If it had an Exynos, it would be near the top of my list, but now, not so much...

I'm strongly leaning toward waiting for the Maserati. Since the RAZR is already being announced, the Maserati is probably not that far out. A source on Howard Forums says the parts are already on order...
    If you were to realize how long the tegra 2 had been out & the fact that it's 1 ghz vs a more modern 1.2 ghz exynos, you'd also realize that the energy your saving & the quadrant score of over 3000 is something no game out our that will be out will use for maybe another six months, also tegra 2 overclocked to 1.2 ghz gets quadrant scores much higher than the exynos 1.2 ghz I get 3800 on my photon overclocked at 1.2 ghz & that's with a qhd screen, imagine on a 800x480 screen? You'd very over 4000 easy. So I don't understand how people keep comparing 2 different clock speeds & then say that the higher clock speed is better.imagine if I were to say that the qualcomm dual core snap dragon was beyer than the exynos just because it's a 1.5 ghz cpu, it's crazy because it needs to be at 1.5 ghz just to compete with the exynos. Obviously the snapdragon isn't efficient & the same can be said about the exynos vs the tegra, because the tegra st the same clock speed of 1.2 ghz scores hundreds of points higher than exynos. nvidia will be releasing a 1.2 ghz tegra 2 @ about the same time as the tegra 3 but this one will have neon & an image processing unit for icecream to use.

Then again, this looks like a slider version of the , which also has a Tegra 2 (but with an LCD screen instead of SAMOLED) and seems to consistently score 3000+ on Quadrant:

So it may be worth checking out after all...
    Theres a youtube video that shows the galaxy R scoring 3400 or 3600 on quadrant, I think it's the first link that you posted, this isn't the case anymore because samsung *imo* wouldn't want a 1 ghz chip to out shine there's. They should of used a super amoled screen but then it wouldn't be a mid range phone, all in all I believe tegra chips are better & more efficient even though they've been out since the zune was released & that means allot that they can still outperform the latest chips.quad core is coming & there chips are going to have a fifth chip to handle smaller low posted apps the same way t.i. insipid 8070's will have 2 extra s3 chips besides there "dual core"chipsets... funny how a four core chip will be called dual core, the same with nvidia's 5 core soc.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Android Community has benchmarked the Captivate Glide with a . That's pretty impressive -- better than any other phone except the Galaxy S2.

It looks like all those calling this a mid-range phone were wrong...