iPhone 4s or Galaxy Nexus?

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody provide compelling arguments to purchase one phone within the other?

-Note: I do not worry about little nonsense stuff that many people appear to latch so tightly to.

Battery life! iPhone blows away android on battery life. Other then that each have their pluses and minus, and you could argue that one is better then the other. Except battery life. Did I mention that the iPhone has a fantastic battery?

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Can somebody tell me why the size of the Mega-pixels doesn't matter?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Simply put, megapixels really don't mean much unless you're planning on making prints. More mega pixels are going to be needed for large prints. For simple viewing on your phone or computer screen, a slight megapixel difference isn't going to mean much in terms of resolution. The sensor, color, sharpness, lens are much more important.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Battery life! iPhone blows away android on battery life. Other then that each have their pluses and minus, and you could argue that one is better then the other. Except battery life. Did I mention that the iPhone has a fantastic battery?

I'm thinking of switching from my Nexus S to an iPhone, simply because I love my iPad and would like to have the same OS. However, I'm mainly worried about battery, given that it seems to be an issue with the 4s

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad and don't believe what you read - iOS is a terrble user experience for someone used to Android, or anyone who wants any control over their device. Its beautiful, stable, responsive (as long as you don't do much), great battery life, and utterly completely frustrating in the things it won't let you do. And did I mention expensive - you'll end up paying a lot more for all those shiny apps since almost nothing of value in the AppStore is free, compared to Android Market. And don't forget, untethered jailbreak is a long way off.

Bottom line - I'd recommend iPhone to my non-techy friends/family if they wanted, but prefer Android myself. And as of today, GN is the best Android phone.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
One big one - form factor. Do you want a light, thin, fully pocketable phone? The iPhone 4/4S is the only one. (4.5"x2.3"x.38").

If you want a large screen in a big phone (5" plus x 2.6"plus) then you'll want Android.

While I would love a large screen while using it (4.3") I'm not sure I can live with how big the Android phones are getting. Also, if you live in a Verizon LTE area then your only choice is Android.

Still limping along on WebOS while I try to sort it out on my own. The three Verizon Superphones (RAZR, Rezound, Galaxy Nexus) are not actually out on the streets yet - have to wait until the end of the month to have all three out to compare.

thekylebrody

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
You have to weigh the Pros vs Cons of the latest Android iteration vs iOS.

My opinion is that apps such as Gmail, Maps & Navigation, Youtube, Browsers, Calender, Flash enabled games, etc are all light years better / more advanced an intuitive on Android! Thats all I need to be sold.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would say iPhones have more consistent battery life than Android phones. Android phones are all over the place with battery life. From the HTC Thunderbolt's horrible battery life, to the Samsung Galaxy S2's awesome battery life. You really have to wait a bit and see how the battery is like from hearing reviews and other people who have the device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Iphone 4s is having a lot of battery issues with IOS5 and even the supposed "fix" they sent out didn't help most people. I think it depends if you want a glorified app launcher and small screen, or choice with a variety of sizes and looks with android.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
One big one - form factor. Do you want a light, thin, fully pocketable phone? The iPhone 4/4S is the only one. (4.5"x2.3"x.38").

If you want a large screen in a big phone (5" plus x 2.6"plus) then you'll want Android.

While I would love a large screen while using it (4.3") I'm not sure I can live with how big the Android phones are getting. Also, if you live in a Verizon LTE area then your only choice is Android.

Still limping along on WebOS while I try to sort it out on my own. The three Verizon Superphones (RAZR, Rezound, Galaxy Nexus) are not actually out on the streets yet - have to wait until the end of the month to have all three out to compare.

so you can't go with one of the variety of 4 inch screens? or do you fail to mention those to make the iphone seem better?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
so you can't go with one of the variety of 4 inch screens? or do you fail to mention those to make the iphone seem better?

Not really - I would actually really rather have an Android BUT there are no state of the art (dual core, high res (qHD)) Android phones on Verizon. The closest is the Rhyme (3.8" WVGA, single core) or the Droid Incredible 2. Everything else is 4.3" and larger. I took a look at the Razr - great phone, super fast, great display and absolutely huge - WIDE (2.7) and TALL (5.l5) - definitely not pocket-able (unless you have large cargo pants). While I would love the phone while using it as a smartphone not sure I would like it the rest of the time (as a phone and as a something that feels like a brick in my pocket). I am very tech-savvy (have owned computers and laptops going all the way back to MS-DOS 2.0 and CP/M) but I'm really torn about this particular decision. I would really like to find a phone that lasts at least 2 years (maybe more). Currently limping along with a Palm Pixi (actually like WebOS a lot - the screen (2.5") is definitely too small. If someone would make a 3.7" inch (say form factor of OG Droid Incredible) with qHD display, 1 GB of ram, dual core (1 GHz or better), Verizon LTE, and micro SD card slot I would pre-order this tomorrow (wouldn't care about which manufacturer or software - Gingerbread would be fine). This is just my current preference - not sure if anybody else is interested since all the phones seem to be 4.3" (or larger) and the smaller screens are all single core.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Not really - I would actually really rather have an Android BUT there are no state of the art (dual core, high res (qHD)) Android phones on Verizon. The closest is the Rhyme (3.8" WVGA, single core) or the Droid Incredible 2. Everything else is 4.3" and larger. I took a look at the Razr - great phone, super fast, great display and absolutely huge - WIDE (2.7) and TALL (5.l5) - definitely not pocket-able (unless you have large cargo pants). While I would love the phone while using it as a smartphone not sure I would like it the rest of the time (as a phone and as a something that feels like a brick in my pocket). I am very tech-savvy (have owned computers and laptops going all the way back to MS-DOS 2.0 and CP/M) but I'm really torn about this particular decision. I would really like to find a phone that lasts at least 2 years (maybe more). Currently limping along with a Palm Pixi (actually like WebOS a lot - the screen (2.5") is definitely too small. If someone would make a 3.7" inch (say form factor of OG Droid Incredible) with qHD display, 1 GB of ram, dual core (1 GHz or better), Verizon LTE, and micro SD card slot I would pre-order this tomorrow (wouldn't care about which manufacturer or software - Gingerbread would be fine). This is just my current preference - not sure if anybody else is interested since all the phones seem to be 4.3" (or larger) and the smaller screens are all single core.

You must wear skinny jeans because the razr is definitely pocketable, I mean in the one video a woman even got it in her back pocket. But hey you can always switch carriers since verizon doesn't have what you want. Also you won't see a high end 3.7 lte phone on verizon or any carrier for that matter. Companies put atleast a 4 inch screen in their high end top of the line phones. Stick with an iphone.

tekhinator

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I own an iphone 4 right now (which im trying to sell) and a fascinate. I prefer the fascinate over the iphone. Why? Because android is open. Custom roms, themes and what not. I would say go for the nexus but thats just me.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I own an iphone 4 right now (which im trying to sell) and a fascinate. I prefer the fascinate over the iphone. Why? Because android is open. Custom roms, themes and what not. I would say go for the nexus but thats just me.

I had an iphone 4s and after a week I was bored with it. The grid, glorified app launcher just isn't for me. I like being able to customize my phones in all kinds of ways and that is why I came back to android.

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd say use some patience and wait to see the Galaxy Nexus hit the streets in real time. This way you can put it in your hands and maybe test drive the device. My husband had an iphone and he did love it but the limitations of the Iphone products and OS caused him to change to an Atrix which he really likes. Me ... I like Android. I was also a pre iphone/ Verizon customer too, so have limtiations to even knowing about the iphone and OS. I am one of the few owners of a Samsung Fascinate that isn't bent over one trivial thing or another. My experience with the device has been great. Amoled screen is a huge seller for me. It stands out so much that not only does the user notice it but others are amazed by its clarity also. It lacks in direct sunlight, but I just try to find a little shade. My camera takes crisp clear pictures and has awesome options, My calls are clear on both sides, my speed is pretty quick. The phone itself is a solid piece of hardware. I'd like to see what improvements in the hardware come with that device not to mention the OS

As far as pocketable, I have no idea what pocket people are talking about? I usually use my back pocket and I have room for my android phone and based on the reported size of the Nexus, I'll still have room in my pockets. Ultimately when making your decision, pick the one YOU LIKE the best. If you like the device, you can't go wrong. I like my phone. I liked it in the store. When the sales guy tried to talk me into something else I still picked my phone cause I liked it. I still like it and it makes getting through a few bugs from time to time easier to choke down. For me at least.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Saw this thread and thought I could add my 2c, as I'm weighing this very decision. (this was posted over at macrumors previously)

Sorry, this is long.

Background: I had (have, actually) a SERO plan for sprint ($50 unlim everything), and I've been using an Epic 4g for the last year and a half. I bought a Epic 4g Touch on launch day, but didn't like the poor res density, so I returned it. When I heard that Verizon would be the only one getting the Nexus for awhile, I considered switching carriers (or picking up an additional plan). Not just for the phone, but since sprint had been very crappy for data speeds in my area, and their call reception is definitely more limited than the other "big two". I tried Verizon thinking I would get improved 3g speeds (not much 4g or LTE in my area) and much better call coverage. Bzzz. Wrong. Data speeds in my area were actually _worse_ (.4-.5/.3-.4 Mbps u/d average with VZ as opposed to average .6-.7/.4-.6 with sprint). Further, my call coverage didn't really expand much in my area. The dead zones I had before just moved around a little. I'm in a pretty suburban area, too. Nothing against VZ, but they weren't for me. So then I thought about trying ATT. They have HSPA+ in my area, so data rates with lowly 3g would be quick, and since they use GSM I could always buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus if I wanted.

So the plan was to buy iphone 4s' for my wife and I, and sell mine if I wanted to switch to the nexus when it comes out (the iphone definitely has the most resale potential of any on-contract phone). We went to an apple store last Thursday and each got one. It was a perfect fit for my wife since she had never had a smartphone and didn't care about such functionality; her only real priority was for a good camera to capture photos of our young kids. I figured the iphone has that in spades, and with the new icloud it would work well with our ipads (I have a ipad 2 and she has my hand-me-down ipad 1). Before you start wondering if I'm an apple fanatic, rest assured that, though I do own a (recently bought) Macbook Air 13" and two ipads, I still don't care for a lot of their software "lock everything down" mentality. Honestly, if you hang around me, you probably hear more negative about Apple than positive. Yet, despite that, I love their hardware. I digress.

After taking the phones home for awhile and playing with them, I am MUCH closer to keeping the iphone now than I was planning to be, though I'm still on the fence. To avoid my usual rambling, I'll try to summarize in a list of pros/cons (my opinions, of course) for each:

iPhone 4S

Pros:
-"look and feel" is really top notch. I've never been a fan of cases, but this is a phone that begs to be used without one, IMO. I like the solid, heavy feel, and the use of glass and metal resonates with me
-icloud. it really does make syncing photos and videos taken with the onboard camera and my ipad and MBA just brain dead simple (read: automatic). Very nice to have. Also love the backup to the cloud, and that other apps use it too. That I can transfer pdfs between my ipad and iphone with the goodreader app and the cloud is very slick. I use my ipad at least 70% as a e-reader.
-Display. Of course, what else can be said? color reproduction is very good, though not as eye-grabbing as an OLED display, it just looks very solid. blacks are still "very good", though not excellent. Resolution is awesome
-The "experience". As mentioned, things "just work". It sounds like marketing BS to non-apple users, but it's true. First and foremost here is the browsing experience on the iphone. They have simply _mastered_ the use of touch-scrolling through a webpage. Just the right amount of "inertia" and as smooth as glass.
-It's the de facto standard for a smartphone. The fact that there are more iphones sold than any other single smartphone is compelling when you're a peripheral/accessory manufacturer. I do see this changing though with android's overtaking of iOS.
-App store. There's an app for just about everything. Really.
-Works exceedingly well with the apple ecosystem. With a MBA and ipad, it definitely complements these components well.
-Size. Fits very nice in my small-average sized hands. Can hit any part of the screen with my thumb and use without too much trouble with a single hand.
-Battery life. I have no clue what reviewers are complaining about with regard to battery life of iOS 5 and the iphone 4s. I can get a solid two days if I don't use it too much and I have a decent signal the entire time. I could _never_ get that with my Epic or Epic Touch (SG2), even rooted and with battery management.

Cons:
-Text entry. No swype is a big fail, IMO. After about 2 hours of use I did get much better at using iphones keypad, but it's still a far cry from android IMO.
-Almost zero customization. Little things like "vibrate on key press" are conspicuously absent. Really apple? BB pioneered this very useful feature years ago and it's pretty much ubiquitous in the smartphone industry, why isn't it on the 4s? No widgets is also a big downer. Auto brightness sucks (way too dim in darkness), so when I want to change brightness at night, I have a rather complicated process for doing so, instead of just pulling down a bar from the top and changing there. Even the ipad gets this right, but the iphone, not so much. Just another example of how user customization would go a long way.
-Screen size. This is a big one. 3.5" screen reminds me of my old HTC Diamond winmo phone. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as I originally thought since the resolution is just awesome, but it does force me to browse very close to my face to seem decent size.
-Build quality. I know, this sounds completely wrong. But what I consider to be build quality is really how easily a product can fail. Granted, I think from an electronics perspective, this phone will be working for quite awhile, but the materials used are not conducive to long term use. Period. Drops can be catastrophic, screen scratches relatively easily, the back is glass and scratches easily. Antenna is in an inconvenient spot, meaning cases and other external interfaces can reduce signal strength.
-Apps are expensive. Even on sale, apps that are released on both android and ios are almost invariably more expensive on iOS. The vast bulk of android apps _seem_ to be free, which I can't say for iOS.
-Inflexible for data storage/transfer/app usage. I hate hate hate the fact that if I want to read a single PDF in three different PDF viewers, I have to have it on my device three separate times. Each app "stovepipes" it's own file system. This is completely stupid. Not to mention how (relatively) difficult it is to get files on and off of the thing. This is getting better with iOS 5 and cloud, but it's definitely not where it needs to be.
-Poor integration with google apps (like navigation, goggles, shopping, etc)
-Poor navigation app and most decent ones cost money
-No free tether or wifi hotspot without jailbreak. This is also a big one. I have no clue why companies that cap your data usage care one whit about whether you tether or hotspot, but there it is. Jailbreaking (I tried it with my ipad and went back) is messy and buggy in my experience.

Galaxy Nexus
(or at least my interpretation of what it will be like based on a lot of Android experience). Naturally, take some of this with a grain of salt since the device isn't out yet.

Pros:
-Display, display, display. HD and OLED = one drool worthy display. PPI might not be quite as high as the iphone, but it's still better than print, so it's good enough for me.
-Customizable. Yeah, you can do just about anything you want with this device, especially once it's rooted.
-Google mentality. Granted, I don't like everything about Google, but their mentality when it comes to open source and free sharing of information is a damn sight better than apple IMO
-Durability. The Galaxy line of devices are all very durable, and I'm sure this one is no exception. They say the screen is a "gorilla glass alternative".
-NFC. Don't think I'll use this right away, but it's very nice to have.
-More "command buttons". Having multiple buttons (menu, home, etc) just makes apps easier to work with. Instead of taking up screen real estate with "back" buttons and the like (a la apple), it's all available to the app. I recognize ICS will have actual touch screen buttons which, technically, take up screen real estate, but since the screen size and aspect ratio were designed with the intent for those buttons to be present all the time, it's not the same.
-User replaceable battery. Yeah, this is definitely a low priority for me, but it's nice to have.
-Google experience. Navigation, apps, places, goggles, etc. Android will always get all of them and get them first. Plays well with gmail, which is my go-to for email.
-Ergos. Curved glass, soft touch no-slip back, thin. All very practical, if not beautiful
-Hacking community. This may sound like a pretty flimsy "pro", but the hacking community always seems to be able to accomplish far more with android devices than with ios.

Cons:
-Plastic. You just can't beat the look and feel of Apple products. The curved shape may be ergonomic, but it certainly ain't a looker (IMO).
-Not true "state of the art" hardware, with the exception of the display. This is a big one. CPU, GPU, Ram, etc are all at or even below industry standards established several months ago. Feels like a cop out for a true game-changer and flagship device. Why didn't they at least give it the Note internals?
-No SD slot. I'm shocked about this one. Except cloud storage, you're limited like the iphone.
-New OS version and display resolution means app support is probably going to be sub par for awhile. This is also a big one. I bought a ipad on launch day (didn't pre-order, I just incidentally walked into a store and had to have it) and remember how crappy support was for true ipad apps (as opposed to "2x" iphone apps). I'm afraid it'll be something like this.
-Too large. Though I think this phone will fit better in hand than the Epic Touch 4g (even though that device actually has a smaller display) on account of the width, it's still not going to be a great device for one-handed use.

I know I sort of ran out of "cons" toward the end there, but I was trying to stay away from naming the converse of the opposite device throughout. Overall, I'll probably end up using the iphone for another month or so to let the Nexus price settle and read reviews.

I've currently got a pre-order in at expansys-usa for the GSM Nexus, I'm still on the fence as to whether I will keep it (the preorder) when the phone comes in.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

No phone In your hands will last 2 years your a techy so your an addict like the rest of us :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ruger141

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Back when I was still rocking my Blackberry Bold, I wanted the "New" Iphone 4 soo bad. I decided to wait a bit and ended up with the HTC Incredible instead. That jump from BB to Android was soo awesome, but I cant see being excited for my next jump in Jan here to another Android. I am leaning toward the 4s at this time for a nice change. Things I like about the Iphone: Touchscreen response has always been markedly much smoother than any Android I have used, I find my typing is much more accurate as well for some reason on the Iphone. The Build Materials to me are way more appealing than some high tech plastic that all Androids roll out with, all the buttons are crisp and the screen is incredible. I dont like however the oversimplicity of it and its single button. I also dont like how most apps cost you money where they are free on Android. I'm curious if anyone has ever wrote on how much more the Iphone costs over time than an Android, similar to those "Actual Price to Own" values given to Cars. I like the fact that there are as many choices out there as there is and that I dont have to limit myself to one "Team" as it seems some do. Unless Android comes out with something else between now and Jan that really catches my eye, or the Iphone 5 is gonna land soon than I think the 4s will be my choice.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Back when I was still rocking my Blackberry Bold, I wanted the "New" Iphone 4 soo bad. I decided to wait a bit and ended up with the HTC Incredible instead. That jump from BB to Android was soo awesome, but I cant see being excited for my next jump in Jan here to another Android. I am leaning toward the 4s at this time for a nice change. Things I like about the Iphone: Touchscreen response has always been markedly much smoother than any Android I have used, I find my typing is much more accurate as well for some reason on the Iphone. The Build Materials to me are way more appealing than some high tech plastic that all Androids roll out with, all the buttons are crisp and the screen is incredible. I dont like however the oversimplicity of it and its single button. I also dont like how most apps cost you money where they are free on Android. I'm curious if anyone has ever wrote on how much more the Iphone costs over time than an Android, similar to those "Actual Price to Own" values given to Cars. I like the fact that there are as many choices out there as there is and that I dont have to limit myself to one "Team" as it seems some do. Unless Android comes out with something else between now and Jan that really catches my eye, or the Iphone 5 is gonna land soon than I think the 4s will be my choice.

I agree with you on all your points. I am due in Feb, but my wife has the 32gb 4 and my brother has the 16gb 4 and I can't stand the single button, or form factor. BUT the biggest drawback is I like using my android as a mass storage device without the hoops of Itunes for everything (without jailbreaking).

Screen is incredible, vibration is strong when ringer is off. Lame that you have to jump through hoops to make a ringtone though. If all android devices get bigger, then it's another OS for me. Oh that stupid connector is a PITA too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan